Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is thick, rich chowder that is what most folks would call New England style but if you have ever been to New England, you know it isn’t. I think it’s what the Northwest has adapted as N.E. style. In any case, it took me many tries to get it where I like it, consequently it’s a little more work than most chowder recipes but, in my opinion, well worth the effort. If I’m making it for company I use just the diggers (foot) and chop them. If I make it for me, I use the whole clam but grind the necks through a ¼� plate. If you are using home canned clams, adjust the recipe accordingly to account for the clam juice in the jar. If you are using store bought canned clams... shame on you.

You’re going to have potatoes boiling, chowder base cooking and be making roux at the same time so make sure you have everything chopped, cut, measured, ready and organized. If you don’t know how to make a roux, you need to learn, just Google “how to roux?�

Northwest Style Razor Clam Chowder

Ingredients:
1 ½-2 cups razor clams chopped and/or ground
1- (6 ounce) bottle clam juice
1-can chicken broth divided
½ cup good quality white wine (I use Chardonnay)
4 baseball sized Yukon gold taters peeled and cubed to ½�
4 slices high quality bacon chopped
1 quart half and half divided
1 cup white onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme chopped fine
1 teaspoon rubbed sage
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 cube butter divided
¼ cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Fill a medium pan with enough water to cover potatoes add ½ teaspoon kosher salt and bring to a boil; add potatoes and boil for 10 minutes then drain.

At the same time, in a large heavy pan, brown the chopped bacon in the olive oil; remove bacon and add the onions, celery and ½ teaspoon salt and sauté until translucent. Add wine plus ½ can of chicken stock and clam juice. Bring to a boil, add bacon and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes; add potatoes and return to boil; add clams, sage and thyme plus ¼ teaspoon (or more) fresh ground pepper; simmer for 1 minute and remove from heat.

In the meantime, make a light to medium roux with ½ cube of butter and ¼ cup flour; this will take about 10-15 minutes. When roux is complete, whisk in the remaining butter then, over medium heat, slowly whisk in remaining ½ can of chicken stock until completely incorporated and remove from heat; let cool for 5 minutes then quickly whisk in 1 pint of the half and half.

Combine all ingredients, cover and let stand for at least 10 minutes. If chowder is too cool, re-heat over medium heat stirring frequently; heat but do not boil. If chowder is too thick, add some of the remaining half and half; if it is too thin (highly unlikely), add some instant potato flakes.. (The only difference was, he threw in frequent references to his experience as a POW, which currently outnumber John Kerry's references to being a Vietnam vet.)

Thus, McCain joined with the Democrats in demanding O.J. trials for terrorists at Guantanamo, including his demand that the terrorists have full access to the intelligence files being used to prosecute them.

These days, McCain gives swashbuckling speeches about the terrorists who "will follow us home." But he still opposes dripping water down their noses. He was a POW, you know. Also a member of the Keating 5 scandal, which you probably don't know, and won't -- until he becomes the Republican nominee. light:

Though McCain was far from the only Republican to support the surge, he does have the distinction of being the only Republican who voted against the Bush tax cuts. (Also the little lamented Sen. Lincoln Chafee, who later left the Republican Party.) Now McCain claims he opposed the tax cuts because they didn't include enough spending cuts. But that wasn't what he said at the time.

To the contrary, in 2001, McCain said he was voting against Bush's tax cuts based on the idiotic talking point of the Democrats. "I cannot in good conscience," McCain said, "support a tax cut in which so many of the benefits go to the most fortunate among us at the expense of middle-class Americans who need tax relief."

McCain started and fanned the vicious anti-Bush myth that, before the 2000 South Carolina primary, the Bush campaign made phone calls to voters calling McCain a "liar, cheat and a fraud" and accusing him of having an illegitimate black child.

On the thin reed of a hearsay account, McCain immediately blamed the calls on Bush. "I'm calling on my good friend George Bush," McCain said, "to stop this now. He comes from a better family. He knows better than this."

Bush denied that his campaign had anything to do with the alleged calls and, in a stunningly magnanimous act, ordered his campaign to release the script of the calls being made in South Carolina.

Bush asked McCain to do the same for his calls implying that Bush was an anti-Catholic bigot, but McCain refused. Instead, McCain responded with a campaign commercial calling Bush a liar on the order of Bill Clinton:

MCCAIN: His ad twists the truth like Clinton. We're all pretty tired of that.

ANNOUNCER: Do we really want another politician in the White House America can't trust?

After massive investigations by the Los Angeles Times and investigative reporter Byron York, among others, it turned out that neit

·
Registered
693 Posts
where can you get lazor crams without diggin them? albertsons had them last year but i havnt see them since. i bought about five pounds of them while i could. im gonna call them tomorrow and check it out.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Can you buy those large razor clams anywhere?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
The Wild Fish Market at Fishermans Terminal in Seattle has had frozen razors when I have been in there. They look pretty big, so I think they are coming from AK. I rember a few years ago the Red Apple grocery in Issaquah had a sale occasionally on frozen packs of big razors. Don't live there anymore, so I don't know if the chain still has them. This recipe has inspired me to take a bag of last years clams from the coast out for some chowder cookin'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts