Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 21' NR Seahawk. While towing this past fall one of the brackets holding the top broke. When I contacted the dealer he told me NR recommends these be towed with the top down. They failed to mention that when I drove off the lot with the top up. Anyone else having these issues?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've towed mine with the top a few times. I don't have any problems with the frame. NR told me I could tow with the top up,but it would decrease the life of the material.

I try not to tow with the top up,but sometimes its more convenient to do so.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't know about NR but I have an Alumaweld and they told me the top should be down for towing or it will break or bend the bows.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
solluver said:
I have a 2007 21' NR Seahawk. While towing this past fall one of the brackets holding the top broke. When I contacted the dealer he told me NR recommends these be towed with the top down. They failed to mention that when I drove off the lot with the top up. Anyone else having these issues?
If North River doesn't fix it, please let us know by posting here. I am considering a North River in the future and one of the big reasons is because of their reputation of taking care of the customer. If they are not living up to their reputation, I would like to know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer sent me two new brackets that I can install. I bought the boat in Everett and live in Gig Harbor so that was easiest. I also just found out that my dealer is no longer a NR dealer. NR apparently pulled his dealership and opened a NR store in Marysville. Doesn't sound like NR played very fair if what I was told was true. These guys sold 54 NR boats last year and then lost their NR dealership. Anyway, it's just kind of a pain having to put the top down to tow down the freeway when it's pouring down rain. Point of having the top was to keep things dry. I would post a picture of what broke, but not sure how on this site. If anyones interested and wants to tell me how, I will. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
solluver said:
The dealer sent me two new brackets that I can install. I bought the boat in Everett and live in Gig Harbor so that was easiest. I also just found out that my dealer is no longer a NR dealer. NR apparently pulled his dealership and opened a NR store in Marysville. Doesn't sound like NR played very fair if what I was told was true. These guys sold 54 NR boats last year and then lost their NR dealership. Anyway, it's just kind of a pain having to put the top down to tow down the freeway when it's pouring down rain. Point of having the top was to keep things dry. I would post a picture of what broke, but not sure how on this site. If anyones interested and wants to tell me how, I will. Thanks for your responses.
NR went to factory style sales. No more "dealers" per say.

It does suck about Bayside. They're great guys and in my experience really take care of their customers. I've bought 2 boats from them,and am thinking about a 3rd. My brother also bought a NR from them last year.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had a good buying experience from Bayside when I bought my NR. Service after the sale has been good, too. Looks like Bayside is a Boulton dealer now?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have a North River and tow with the top up if I know I will not be going over 55mph. I discussed this at the time of sale and it was stated that it all depends on how long you wanted the top to last, one to three years, or 10 years if it's towed top down. If I do tow with it up, the side curtains and the back drop are in so it is tight to the boat and wind isn't whipping in and out. I also purchase the tonneau cover that completely cover the boat for storage and it's good on the freeway. When you get to your destination just install the top and side curtains if the weather's nasty. My boat goes 55mph, so I figure if it's fine on the water it should be good on the highway also.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
We were told that before leaving the NR store. On the freeway the top comes down, other then that its up.....

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Those things aren't meant to be driven down the freeway. Always put them things down unless your just driving short distances at lower speeds.. It wouldn't be a warranty issue so I wouldn't expect any dealer to fix it.

The guys at North River in Marysville, Tacoma and Sumner are top notch and I can't say enough about the customer service the provide. TOP NOTCH Tup: If your looking at buying one you won't be disapointed with the service you'll get.

·
Registered
693 Posts
mayfly and i take ours on the back roads to shilshole with the top up. if the boat does 40 mph on the water it should be the same thing. i wouldnt recomend it on the freeway, i sure love that boat though, it just kills me not to be out on it every day...i need to retire.....

·
Registered
693 Posts
CommanderX said:
I have a North River and tow with the top up if I know I will not be going over 55mph. I discussed this at the time of sale and it was stated that it all depends on how long you wanted the top to last, one to three years, or 10 years if it's towed top down. If I do tow with it up, the side curtains and the back drop are in so it is tight to the boat and wind isn't whipping in and out. I also purchase the tonneau cover that completely cover the boat for storage and it's good on the freeway. When you get to your destination just install the top and side curtains if the weather's nasty. My boat goes 55mph, so I figure if it's fine on the water it should be good on the highway also.
what do ya got a big block 454 in that thing? sheese, i thought our 43 mph was fast for a 21 footer...holy cow!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
6.0 liter with a Hamilton 212 pump. It's got to be dead flat for it to climb into the 50's. It gets up to 50 pretty darn fast though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last Summer I purchased an 18'6" Seahawk with a DF140 Suzuki and Yamaha T8 and decided to leave the top and sides up all the time and then when it gives out in 3+ years I'm replacing with a hard top. This way I've got 3+ years to save $ for a hard top/rocket launcher. It's a great boat and Sumner/Tacoma NR dealer are great to work with. I just need to take it out more, this working thing has got to stop, glad retirement is in site. I'll post some pixs on this site when I get the tech thing figured out. Great info on this site thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The small tubular frame is standard so it can be removed easily on smaller boats. The welded frame covered in canvas is optional, but standard on 23'+ Seahawks I believe.
I like the North River tops because they are tight, it is a bugger putting them up yourself though. I had a Duckworth before with a towable, square tubed frame top. The top material was loose and flapped all over the place.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
fishn2gthr4ever said:
Almar North river in Tacoma - top notch service for sure. Paul will take care of you. Tup:
I hate seeing Almar and NR in the same sentence, the resort I work for has 22 older Almars and 3 new NR/Almars, there is no comparison, they cut alot of corners on the new boats. Tdown:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
North River just shut down the Almar shop in Tacoma and is moving it to Oregon. The good news is there is plenty of room now for service for North River boats.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts