Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have anything good or bad to say about these as a kicker/trolling motor?

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'll bite....

I have a Tohatsu (the maker of the Nissan) 8 horse 4-stroke that I have had for just over a year now that I enjoy for my "primary" motor on my 12 foot Smokercraft, and it seems to run great for my needs. I can troll a real long time and only use a little fuel, yet I was surprised to find out last week that if I give it a "bit" of time at full throttle, I can even get my big @ss up on a plain in the boat too!!! Very quiet and smooth compaired to my other little motor, plus it has forward, reverse and neutral (yippy). (weighs around 90 lbs.)

Prior to that, my only experiance with boat motors is the little 1969 Johnson Seahorse (4 HP 2 stroke) that came with the boat when I bought it a few years ago. Starts in forward drive (full time) without a neutral, reverse only by spinning the motor around 180 degree's. The good plus for that little 2 stroke is that it only weighs about 37 lbs, and still runs great.

The Tohatsu/Nissan motors are not the same class as the Yamaha or Honda kickers, but they don't cost the same either.

My .02.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I wouldn't own anything made by Mercury. That includes Nissan/Tohatsu.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Hunter P said:
You've got that the other way-'round. Nissan/Tohatsu build cast the blocks for Merc's smaller powerheads. Saying you won't own something without substantiation isn't worth much though.

I'm a big Merc fan. I've owned multiple Merc motors, and they've all served me well. I like older Johnson motors, Yamahas and Hondas as-well. No personal experience with Nissan/Tohatsu, except my current 9.9 Merc.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The Peddler said:
Hunter P said:
You've got that the other way-'round. Nissan/Tohatsu build cast the blocks for Merc's smaller powerheads. Saying you won't own something without substantiation isn't worth much though.

I'm a big Merc fan. I've owned multiple Merc motors, and they've all served me well. I like older Johnson motors, Yamahas and Hondas as-well. No personal experience with Nissan/Tohatsu, except my current 9.9 Merc.
You want substantiation,here you go.

Every person I personally know thats owned a Mercury has had problems. The latest victim was my brother,hes on the board here as "Big Guy". He bought a brand new 2006 Mercury 40hp and had problem after problem with it right up until a piston decided it was done playing in harmony with the others. Probably didn't have 25 hours on it and it was in the shop about 4 different times.

So Tohatsu/Nissan builds Mercs,I guess I did have it backwards. The original poster asked about Nissan,if Tohatsu/Nissan builds Mercs and every Merc I've been around is crap,what does that say about T/N ?

You know why you see so many Mercs?,its because the parent company to Merc owns half the boating industry. You can't buy a Boston Whaler as a package without a Merc. A Bayliner gets a Merc as well.

All the guides with Mercs?,because Mercs are the cheapest thing they can get their hands on.

You like Mercs,you can have my share. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Hunter, lots of Mercury power heads are actually made by Yamaha. Suzuki is or was making power heads for Johnson. The days of every manufacturer doing their own work is over.
You're right.

Mercury buys a Yamaha powerhead and then surrounds the poor thing with Mercury junk. It takes more than a powerhead to make a quality engine.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My brother in law has one on his dingy, he runs that thing alot and has never had any issues with it, it only has two speeds.. off and wide open :lol: . He has had it for about two years now.

Rook

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Mercurys on the Crestliner.Have had no problems ever.4 hp kicker is 30 years old and purrs like a kitten.Have a 15 hp 1999 also and this motor has only seen the shop once in its life.That was my fault when i wrapped some line around the prop.But since i;m in the market for a new bay boat i;ll probably go with Yamaha on it since everyone seems to like them..Use my smaller Mercs for kickers..

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Hunter P said:
The Peddler said:
Hunter P said:

You want substantiation,here you go.

Every person I personally know thats owned a Mercury has had problems. The latest victim was my brother,hes on the board here as "Big Guy". He bought a brand new 2006 Mercury 40hp and had problem after problem with it right up until a piston decided it was done playing in harmony with the others. Probably didn't have 25 hours on it and it was in the shop about 4 different times.

So Tohatsu/Nissan builds Mercs,I guess I did have it backwards. The original poster asked about Nissan,if Tohatsu/Nissan builds Mercs and every Merc I've been around is crap,what does that say about T/N ?

You know why you see so many Mercs?,its because the parent company to Merc owns half the boating industry. You can't buy a Boston Whaler as a package without a Merc. A Bayliner gets a Merc as well.

All the guides with Mercs?,because Mercs are the cheapest thing they can get their hands on.

Thanks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Peddler said:
Hunter P said:
The Peddler said:
Hunter P said:

I "could" be way off base (It has happened a time or two :) ), but I thought that someone told me that Tohatsu/Nissan ONLY builds the smaller (under 15 HP) outboards for Merc.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Pouser Keith said:
I "could" be way off base (It has happened a time or two :) ), but I thought that someone told me that Tohatsu/Nissan ONLY builds the smaller (under 15 HP) outboards for Merc.
There is a cut-off at some point, but I'm not sure where it's at. I believe like you that it's at 15, but it looks-like Tohatsu has motors 30hp four-strokes and 115hp 2-strokes, so it's possible they make the Merc to there as-well?

·
Registered
946 Posts
It's just like Chevy, ford, dodge it's just what you prefer. everyone of them has lemon's and from personal experiance I WILL never own another mercury product......period...

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
the 2 stroke tohatsu/nissans had an outstanding reputation and actually performed substantially better than all competition in an independant test that i read and that included top speed. They were simple and reliable, Id like to have a 140hp 2 stroke,

As for the 4 strokes, my dad has a 9.8 and its great but its only a couple years old and only sees use on a zodiac for crabbing so it hasn't had a chance to prove itself.

As for the mercury debate, some of the smaller mercs were yamahas like my 96 15hp is said to be. But the black max was all mercury and thats a great motor.

G

·
i gotta interject here. In my family we own/run alot of outboards over the years. old OMCs are awesome obviously. we have always had mercs on our ski/play boats never having had any problem. Would you see one on our seine skiffs?? HELL NO.... after about 1992 we started to trust OMC a little less. and after 1998 Yamaha had pretty much taken over. expesially in extreme duty. Yamaha is the burliest by far. PROXS Opti, E-tec, etc could be a different story but those are pretty new... If i were going to buy a NEW motor i would be between the PROXS, ETEC, for sport anymore its tough to break them. other than that its the chevy ford dodge thing.... if someone put a cummins on top of an outboard you would know what id be sportin :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'm with you Hunter and Big Guy!

I've owned 4 Mercury's so far: a 1972 80hp, 1985 115, 1980 6hp and a 1990 175 and I had problems with every single one. Tdown:

I've since gone exclusively Yamaha and couldn't be happier! Tup:

G

·
I think you are just hard on stuff WEBO. lets see, 1982 7.5hp, 1994 20hp, 1998 15hp, 1988 100hp 2+2, 1987 150black max, 1990 90hp pump. 1992 115hp, thats all i can think of, all purred like kittens never left me broke down. all of em were service by [email protected] Sky Valley marine though. Between my dad and i we have owned three or four times that many JohnnieRudes and about that many Yamies. If the new HPDI wasn't such a dog compared to the other s i would be all over it... I REFUSE to own a midrange 4 stroke especially from yamaha. they run but my 115 was so uninspiring.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think there's a of confusion as to who does what, I'm probably going to add to it but here goes, I've got a 2004 115 merc 4 stroke, it has a yahama power head with yamaha electronics, and a mer lower unit, that's why it won't work with the merc smartcraft gauges. On older non verado large 4 strokes, Merc used a yamaha powerhead and merc lower unit. My 2005 Merc 9.8 4 stroke kicker is a rebadged tahotsu, and it the parts listings it even mentions its a tahastu. I personally feel with the newer motors, if you maintain them and take decent care of them, they're all pretty good products now. Trailer Boats magazine did an article a couple years ago about who made what for who and it was pretty interesting.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
i had an 8hp nissan 2 stoke that my dad bought me new. never had it in the shop the 6 years i had it and still ran perfect and all salt use. only reason i got rid of it was cause the clamps froze on my boat when i got rid of it
btw good thing hunter know what hes talkin about because EVERYONE that i know that owns a motor has probs with it. so dont buy a motor

1 - 20 of 29 Posts