Game Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANyone doin any catchin at the nasty? When I got back it was on fire last friday and saturday but since then All i have got and pretty much all I have seen is skunks at handicap. Where did they all go???

·
Registered
41 Posts
I went to the store and bought a lantern, gloves, glow corkies, etc. to do some nasty night fishing and got skunked last night. I was going to ask the same thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went for awhile this morning , it is slow but they are getting a fish here and there ,a skunk for me , the ones I did see get caught were all very nice and bright.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I will probably keep hittin it cause its so close and nowhere else is kickin much out. Maybe when the nets get pulled they will be jumpin right out of the water into our arms?????

·
Registered
681 Posts
There was a good bite early this morning and one brief bite at the tide exchange this afternoon. Most of the previous two weeks fish have move up the river into the vinicity of the Tank Crossing area. You will need and I mean need a pass to access this area as it is much closer to the Firing Range. You will get checked. Most of the fish will be a catch and release fishery as they are in full color, even the eggs will be loose as they are getting ready to head up Muck Creek and off into some of the smaller tributaries on the upper Nisqually. It can be a fun time for a catch and release fishery if you want to tire your arms out, but you are not going to be getting any chrome. You will however find some good empty water if you kick around a little.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey soady, where can i get into the boots without a pass? I dont even know where to find the river up past handicap

·
Registered
681 Posts
Unless you have the pass "In Hand" as you turn off 507 and immeditaly enter Ft Lewis property noting the big 4X8 sign on the right and left stating "You Are Now Entering Posted Military Property. Permit Access Travel Only" I would hesitate to provide that info.
I don't want to hear of an "Unfortunate Incident" post here.
"If you feel very Lucky,"
You can do a Live Search starting at Yelm and backtrack to the Crossing and follow your nose from there.

Or come on down to the low end of the upper bar and follow your nose to the BBQ. I will be somewhere close to the food and Beer.
And yes we do ok after the nets are pulled especially at first light.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didnt mean sneak on illegally i just meant find a spot where it would be legal and i could catch somethin. If i get bored this weekend around tide change maybe I will headout there and if i smell BBQ ill look for you. I just need to get into some serious fish before i gotta get back to E-Wa for school

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you do a search on the topics you'll find info on how to get to tank crossing. Good luck!!
Happy Holidays everyone

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oly, I know that, no worries on the sneak point, you really need a pass to access that area. I pulled off there a few years back before 911 to take a P-break and I had MP's on my butt before the first squirt. Talk about losing the urge. Those boys really do own the good camo.
We did ok on the upper bar this AM however things were real slow for a verrrrrrrry long time. We had to scratch them out as the fish were very sporadic in smaller waves. Both my buddies that brought the BBQ's (I had the food) left early.
I managed to lose one and took two home. Smokin right now.
Not alot of fish caught today compared to last weekend. However the crowd gathered around the fire at the upper end of the bar and we had a good time swapping stories of times gone by. Those older guys have a lot of great stories and I enjoy listening to them all the time. WAIT I am one of those older guys. :D
At the very least the beer was cold and so were the fish. All in all it was a "Good Day."
Things do peter out around Christmas ( I think God planned it that way) :D and will pick up later in January if we get some water. Now all we have do to is hope the season will last into January, my guess is it will and all we need is rain. Lots of it.

Merry Christmas and hit the books hard when you get back after break.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Whoever was around that fire last night on the upper bar in the wee hours were a bunch of loudmouth, Wierd Al Yankovic playing drunk guys. Oh ya, and then drive out to the edge of the water and shine their headlights out on the water for some damn reason. It was time to go anyway. It was slow last night we only hooked about fifteen or so before we left in about four hours.

·
Registered
681 Posts
There were a few of those guys left over this morning when I got there at 5:00.
They looked like they were drug through a Knot Hole backwards. sick:
My guess is they spent the night in their rigs. Probably for the best I wouldn't want them on the road :shock: Sounds as if glowballin is getting to be a pain in the Keister. All it takes is just a few sick: apples to spoil a good thing.
Sorry to hear that. :x

·
Registered
221 Posts
I don't know much about the Nasty, never caught anything in one or two trips years ago.
Is there any place to Plunk where you can get away from drifters? I did pretty well plunking for dogs this year on the green, and would like to try my setup there.
Is there anyplace above the Handicap Hole that you do not need a pass? What about downstream of Mounts rd.? I think I heard they don't let you fish from the Wildlife Refuge? Is that true? Thanks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
the nasty is still spitting out chummies, today we fished my favorite spot and just knocked them dead, they are close to the bank you can almost reach down and touch their backs, as far as slowing down for xmas i couldn't disagree more, we slayed them the last few years during xmas break, just have to put the brat and beer down quit talking and do some scouting, we lost far more than we kept but all but one was chrome. my camera went dead on me as soon as its charged i'll post today catch. Tup:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Goatee,where abouts on the river were you? I fished under the bridge by the handicap hole all last week and on Sunday and literally slayed them. Went back on Wednesday and it had slowed way down. I went up by the tank croosing and there were some there but not as chrome as they were down at the bridge. I want to go back if it is worth it, I'm on vacation all week. If you dont want to give away your spot thats OK or you can PM me. I will probably go all week because once I go back to work it will be hard for me to get out. Tight lines!!!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
i have fished the tank crassing the last 5 years now and have never been checked for a pass and have only seen mp's on the other side of the bridge/river. i woulodnt worry about fishing the tank crossing just dont cross the bridge by foot cause u cant by car. btw i have never had a pass except for 1 year when i was working on the base

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice I may have to hit that up after the holiday! Anyone been fishin up there? how has it been? Also I have a very low car and am wondering if its a dirt road that I should be able to manage in a car with approx. 8 in of clearance

·
Registered
57 Posts
You should be fine. The road is paved all the way to the river. But once you are at the river when you turn off, it is dirt. You can fish right by the bridge (downriver from bridge) or you can drive down the dirt road to other spots. There will be potholes and puddles but if you take it slow you can drive as far as you want. I have a ford focus, a little hatchback wagon, its my company car and it gets back there just fine. I went there on Wednesday after I was at the handicap hole with nothing. I figured if thet are not here they might be up there. When I got there there was one guy fishing on the other side and he was slaying them. Right close to the bank where the water slowed and they were stacked in there but it seemed like they were all bucks and turning dark. He did have one nice hen on the stringer though. It should still be ok up there for some C&R and just maybe a chromer if you put some time in. The water was pretty fast in some spots you just need to go down the river and find slower spots to fish where they can hold up. I did walk across the bridge and get into the action though. I do have one of those pink passes to fish but was not checked. If you dont have a pass they are easy to get and free. Just go to the Dupont exit off I-5, go to the military gate and tell them you want to get a pass for fishing on the military. They will let you through and the building is less than a mile. Ask the guard for directions. But if I remember right just go to the stop sign take a right and the building is on your right about 100 yards or so after you make the turn. Tell them you want a pass and it takes less than five minutes. Just need drivers liscense, proof of insurance and registration. After that its nothing but tight lines!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.