Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, with reading all of the reports about the chums I want to get in on the action. I have never fished there before so i don't really know where to go. If you guys could help me with where I should fish that is non-military that would be awesome. Also if you could give me directions on how to get there as well I would really appreciate it. I am guessing just use the normal chum gear right. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you are coming from north take the mounts rd. exit go 2-3 miles till u cross the river, go about another quarter mile take a left on 6th. go to the end of rd. that is the handicap access the best spots are just upriver on the bar u can drive ti it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you get there at any time past 7:00 am then park and walk down to the bar as parking was crazy last weekend. I watched one guy and three of his buddies drive in with a 20ft Alumaweld sled and try to turn the thing around. They were successfull after about 40 minutes. Not to sure what they had in mind by driving in and down the hill to get to the parking lot on the bar, other than trying to get back out.

Best advice I can give is do your homework first ,run a Google and print the map. Once you get to the trestle the rest is a cake walk until you make your first cast and at that point you will have to start learning where the snaggs lie. If you learn fast you will soon be into a fish. Hint watch for about 15 to 20 minutes pick a spot and then step in if there is room. Never hurts to ask first though.
This photo was taken two weeks ago, there were double the people this past weekend.
Here is the photo of the line up on the lower bar, still lots of room to step in.

It can be done though if your are patient, most of the people were good natured this past weekend.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yeah, tons of room to step in. I think that one guy has an empty pocket. A fella could fish from there. Or maybe they could star sitting on each others shoulders like chicken fights.

·
Registered
681 Posts
zvic733 said:
Yeah, tons of room to step in. I think that one guy has an empty pocket. A fella could fish from there. Or maybe they could star sitting on each others shoulders like chicken fights.
zvic,
Livetofish asked a question on how and where to get to the river for some action, he got the instruction. If it is too crowded then he can make the choice to fish there or not just like we all can.
That one still photo does not show the openings on the bar as fish were being fought and landed. It is just 1/60th of a second in regards to actual time in the opening of a camera shutter. I assure you there are lots of times that fish are being hooked, caught, fought, and landed. Not to mention how many guys step out to take a break and retie.
Openings do occur for a guy to step in and get a chance to fish. This one particular shot is only a small area of the bar where I was standing, there is more than half mile with plenty of opportunities to find ROOM to stand. This picture takes in about 100+ feet of that 1/2 mile area. There are many more spots down below the Mounts Rd bridge to stand and fish. This is a terminal, combat, stand in the pocket of your neighbor fishing area. I understand that it never was like this years ago however it is what it is.
There are plenty of other undiscovered spots upriver that I will never divulge, however Livetofish did ask for directions to the best terminal area to fish for a little action, don't begrudge him of the chance to tangle lines with a few of his new found friends. You and I can just move on up river to find a little solitude, or we may just want to stand around and take in some of the action down at the Terminal Fishery.
If you are down there this weekend stop by for a brat and a beer, I'll have the BBQ going. Might even pass out some BBQ chicken to some of those guys down there like I did last weekend.
That really opens up the hole when they all come up for some BBQ. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
The thing I like about this board is that Livetofish asked for directions and got good ones. I get plenty of help and advice here, and it has made my fishing experiences far better. I have also made a couple of very good friends here, and for that I am very grateful.
My comment was in response to one snapshot of an obviously overcrowded river, and a comment that there is plenty of room to "step in". In that picture, there is not room to step in, and to do so would be rude. I was there yesterday morning, and found a large area with nobody on either side for at least a couple of yards. As soon as I started hooking fish, opportunists (I have another word but will save it for another day) started "stepping in". I ended up getting crowded out and moved to another less populated area. Again as I began to hook fish, here they come again. It is a public river, and we are all welcome and we all belong there, but when you get to the river, I feel that it's rude to find the crowded area, assume that that's the only spot where the fish will be and step in. walk a little and find what you feel is going to be a good spot. Just catch a couple of fish and you'll get the combat experience you're yearning for.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Thanks ZVic, I don't get how that pic shows room to step in. People are getting lines crossed and tangled, you have to put 30+# mono on or braid because you can't fight your fish because people won't move or keep casting over you. I've seen this before on other rivers, you start getting globs of eggs to the back of your head. Do what you want, I'm staying away from that crowd. I'll stick to the night fishing or none at all.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It looks like about thrity people in the +100 ft so that should equate to about 3 ft between each person to fish. Lots of room LOL wink: Just kidding but it is almost as bad as fishing blue creek on the COW. Have fun and good luck :D

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Wow.....Looks like fun....NOT!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Members
Insert Zvic here

2007 Contributing Member!

Online Status: Gone Fishin!
Casts: 540
Posted: 20 December 2006 at 6:46am
Te handicap hole was dead-dead-dead. The gravel bar, or where it should be, is where they were at.

Casts: 1071
Posted: 21 December 2006 at 9:49pm
I've fished the nasty a lot this year but I have no idea how to fish the river now. This is all new to me so when it changes like this I feel like the guy that didn't get the memo at work that Hawaiian shirt day was canceled.
Srchn4Salmon
Orca [Over 1000]

Casts: 1071
Posted: 21 December 2006 at 10:27pm
I'm interested in anything that will help be a better fisherman. I did a lot of King fishing this summer there but never had any luck drifting, only caught one floating eggs. I'm trying to learn the drift. I'm buying a new rod and reel tomorrow and I hope that will start me in the right direction. I know I didn't have the right gear to start this year but I just wanted to get on the water to learn the sport and pick up any info I could. Let me know of anything you would say are the necessities to fish for chums I can pick them up.

Here are the results of last year's December 2006 Chumathon. There were twenty to twenty five of us on that same bar last year. Not to far off from the same conditions shown in the picture. We had a great time in fact here are three seperates threads;

http://gamefishin.com/gfboard/forum_posts.asp?TID=26700&KW=
http://gamefishin.com/gfboard/forum_posts.asp?TID=26936&KW=
http://gamefishin.com/gfboard/forum_posts.asp?TID=26645&KW=&PN=1

Seems there were several newbies just learning to fish the Nisqually chum in conditions just about like those portrayed above.
I know I was there, I even fished three feet from many of you, showing you how to do the Nasty.

It is ironic how we seem to forget where we were fishing a year ago or how we cut our teeth on learning new things like how to fish firsthand in a crowd by following the crowd that makes up Gamefishers.

We learn to break away from the crowd and all of a sudden we can condem others for wanting to get in on a little action or quickly point out why our Status would never fish in such conditions.

You were a newbie once, I was a newbie once, we all were newbies once. We learned and we moved on to find that solitude.
Looks like it is time to move on............See ya on the water.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
LOL, I cant believe anyone would say there is plenty of room to step in. I thought you were joking Soady. Hopefully you were. :lol:

Im sure Vic just laughed off what you said anyway. No big deal. He's one of the most courteous fisherman I know.

I would never step into a line of fisherman like that, and I probably know half of those gentlemen and they would gladly give me some right of way, still no way.

Not even when I was a rookie, I wouldn't have done it. Hell Im still a rookie, I got spooled last night, I couldn't believe it. conf:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
zvic733 said:
ROFLMAO, I know what you mean. :lol:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
I've seen this before on other rivers, you start getting globs of eggs to the back of your head. .
Now that funny. Hmmmm, wonder where that happened. :lol:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
LOL, I cant believe anyone would say there is plenty of room to step in. I thought you were joking Soady. Hopefully you were. :lol:

Im sure Vic just laughed off what you said anyway. No big deal. He's one of the most courteous fisherman I know.

I would never step into a line of fisherman like that, and I probably know half of those gentlemen and they would gladly give me some right of way, still no way.

Not even when I was a rookie, I wouldn't have done it. Hell Im still a rookie, I got spooled last night, I couldn't believe it. conf:
Damn logs. :lol:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I hear ya Powder. It wouldn't have been so bad, but I had 30 lb test mainline on. It took off so fast I couldnt get my reel engaged while it was running any my thumb was seriously hurting. I still can't believe it. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts