Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here bought one? I've been tempted, but I'm struggling with buying a truck that is'nt really proven yet. Toyota made a lot of changes. I've heard about a few rumors about engine problems, and problems with going in, and out of 4WD. These rumors came from guys that did not have one. (friend of a friend of a friend kind of deal). The 2 guys I know that have one are very happy with them...But neither of these rigs have even 10,000 mi on them yet, and I doubt these rigs will ever see a gravel road.
I have a 03 Tundra that has been a great truck, but ther has been times when its been a bit small.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Toyota is not known for building junk. I would google some of the truck forums so you can read from those who actually own one and not those who "heard from someone who heard from someone who heard from someone"...etc.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
About the only issue I've read about,is a problem with camshafts breaking on the early 5.7s.

Thats a pretty nasty failure.

IMO its nothing to be worried about though. Toyota seems to have figured it out. It only happened on a few trucks.

When I was truck shopping last year I looked at the Tundra. It was an impressive truck,but the styling was too ugly for me.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks SJ! Been browsing the Tundra forums since I read your posts.
Hunter...Your right! They could be better looking.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
I too traded a full sized p/u for my tundra back in '02. I couldn't be happier with it. It tows my NR without problems, it gets 17 m.p.g. on the highway, 15 in the city. It does have it's limitations like, you can't put a good camper on it, it's only got a 6' bed, and the cab isn't big enough to swing a dead cat in, but what the hey, it's virtually maintenance free...knock on wood. I'm not crazy about the new one's looks though. I think they tried to get alittle too dynamic.

·
Registered
701 Posts
They are great trucks, My freind has one and another freind has a 06.. totyota makes the best trucks period, They are all I have ever owned.... The new tundras tow great, have plenty of power and can go anywhere..... I have not heard anything bad about them.. but then again its a TOY.. no surprise there at all..... what else is there? FORD? .. please.... CHEVY? not a chance.. DODGE?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
[quote="columbiaguide totyota makes the best trucks period, what else is there? FORD? .. please.... CHEVY? not a chance.. DODGE?[/quote] Depends if you want to own a tinker toy or a real truck :D

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
ya those "Toy"otas are nice for a daily driver, but for towing big loads or big campers.... well not so much...

But, I read in Truck Trend that Toyota is flirting with the idea of comming out with a "real" truck with a Diesel in 3/4 and 1 ton configurations.. When That Happens, I'll probrably get one and never look back at the big 3... Well, thats not true.. they'll be in my rear view mirror.. wink:

If i was looking for a 1/2 ton light duty truck. The Toyota would be my choice

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
SeaRanger21 said:
[quote="columbiaguide totyota makes the best trucks period, what else is there? FORD? .. please.... CHEVY? not a chance.. DODGE?
Depends if you want to own a tinker toy or a real truck :D[/quote]

that's hilarious. :lol: but, reality is, Toyota spends less time in the shop than the big 3. That's what I'm all about, dependability. If I had a horse trailer, then I'd probably go with a ford or chevy 3/4 ton. Like Olybirds said, when they build the bigger truck, I'll buy one then.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
steelyden said:
SeaRanger21 said:
[quote="columbiaguide totyota makes the best trucks period, what else is there? FORD? .. please.... CHEVY? not a chance.. DODGE?
Depends if you want to own a tinker toy or a real truck :D
that's hilarious. :lol: but, reality is, Toyota spends less time in the shop than the big 3. That's what I'm all about, dependability. If I had a horse trailer, then I'd probably go with a ford or chevy 3/4 ton. Like Olybirds said, when they build the bigger truck, I'll buy one then.[/quote]
I might think about it then also but only if they make the cab big enough where I don't have to sit with my knees on the dash board, being 6'4" has it's drawbacks at times, guess I could just have a glass bubble installed in the roof. :lol:

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
SeaRanger21 said:
steelyden said:
SeaRanger21 said:
Depends if you want to own a tinker toy or a real truck :D
that's hilarious. :lol: but, reality is, Toyota spends less time in the shop than the big 3. That's what I'm all about, dependability. If I had a horse trailer, then I'd probably go with a ford or chevy 3/4 ton. Like Olybirds said, when they build the bigger truck, I'll buy one then.
I might think about it then also but only if they make the cab big enough where I don't have to sit with my knees on the dash board, being 6'4" has it's drawbacks at times, guess I could just have a glass bubble installed in the roof. :lol:[/quote]

have you sat in one yet? I'm also 6'4" and with the seat all the way back, my knees are about 3" from the dash. I can wear a hat while driving and it doesn't hit the roof..a baseball cap that is, not a tophat. Just go test drive one, and make your decision then.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Next time I need to get a work rig I will. Sat in a Ford Ranger a while back what a joke had my head tilted down and the back of my neck was darn near touching the roof. :lol:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would be more ready to jump if Nissan or Isuzu made a big truck with a diesel. Both those companies have tried and true experience in larger diesels. Toyota is not known for larger diesel motors. Sure they make the BJ60's with the small gutless inline six, but nothing with real power.

So when they come out you guys can buy the first ones and work all the bugs out for Toyota. It will be fun to hear you guys in the diesel chat forums trying to figure out the hickups.

Untill then I will keep shopping for a 2003-2006 dodge diesel with the NV-5600 six speed.

BTW I saw a guy towing a 22+ foot Seasport down at Edmonds last summer with a Tundra, it looked like the springs were sitting on the axel. I swear it would not be cool running that set-up down a steep hill. Brake fade is not fun at all.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
joepajamas said:
I would be more ready to jump if Nissan or Isuzu made a big truck with a diesel. Both those companies have tried and true experience in larger diesels. Toyota is not known for larger diesel motors. Sure they make the BJ60's with the small gutless inline six, but nothing with real power.

So when they come out you guys can buy the first ones and work all the bugs out for Toyota. It will be fun to hear you guys in the diesel chat forums trying to figure out the hickups.

Untill then I will keep shopping for a 2003-2006 dodge diesel with the NV-5600 six speed.

BTW I saw a guy towing a 22+ foot Seasport down at Edmonds last summer with a Tundra, it looked like the springs were sitting on the axel. I swear it would not be cool running that set-up down a steep hill. Brake fade is not fun at all.
Have you ever heard of the company Hino ? Toyota owes them.
http://www.hino.com/

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I got a chevy 1500 back in the fall and I love it. My wife didnt like the ride of the Tundra and I didnt like shifting from park to drive. It went into the manual mode 2x and the location sucks. but it was a nice truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts