Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,

I am new to the Vancouver area and would love to know where the best (and closest) steelheading is. I know the rivers in Southern Oregon pretty well, but from what I have seen so far, the fishing here is totally different.

So, if anyone has any tips for a bank bound drift fisherman for the upcoming steelhead season, I would greatly appreciate it! I keep hearing about the Lewis and the Cowlitz, but so far everyone has been tight lipped about where and how...

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
lewis and cowlitz are good bets. as far as gear goes i think everything you used in oregon should get them. i am partial to eggs because usually if theres a fish there he is gonna eat them. for winter fish on the cowlitz i think from mission bar to the barrier dam are the most productive areas. but you can catch summer fish anywhere in the cowlitz. you can stop at any gas station on i-5 on your way to the cow and get directions to either spot. some one will know how to get there from where youre at. as for the lewis, i am not familiar with it, but i hear lots of guys talk about the "hatchery hole". welcome to washington and good luck where ever you end up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The cowlitz is a good bet,just head north on I-5 to hwy 12 east ,head east until you see the the sign to the trout hatchery on your right(about 5 to 7 miles up the road) or go a few more miles to barrier dam also on the right,cann't miss it.good luck and give us a report with pic's.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
welcome to the area! all the Sw streems have been putting out some nice fish lately, east fork, kalama, Salmon creek, cow, and the washugal. been slow but they are still comeing Tup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chad,

Any tips on where to go on the Kalama, Washougal, and/or Salmon Creek??? Only been here a few months. I'm having to look most of these places up on maps. Thanks for the tips...

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
kalama has a ton of bankie access, you can pretty much park anywhere along the road and fish were you want especially in the canyon. washugal is the same way. get out there and do some scouting and you will find some awesome water on both rivers, salmon creek is a little more tricky since the 99 bridge is closed permanently, under the bridge would be your best be but i have done well behind the baseball fields near klineline pond. tiny stream, fun catching good size fish out of! but there are not many!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts