Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone! I'm pretty new to fishing in general, I want to know all about fishing at the les davis pier. What kind of fish are biting right now? What should I be fishing for? And when should I be fishing for it? Tides and all this are completely new to me. Even the types of rigs used out here! I've just moved from kentucky, and only have limited experience on that. So I was hoping you guys could fill me in on what I need to know or even show me if you are in the Tacoma Area.

·
Registered
688 Posts
My very first recommendation is to find a copy of the WDFW Fishing Regs pamphlet and become familiar with it to include licensing, single barbless hooks, seasons for MA 11, and daily/possession limit requirements.

While you can catch the occasional bottomfish (sole and perch) from the several piers to include Les Davis and Point Defiance Marina the several fisheries which garner a fair amount of activity from the piers are: (1) jigging for squid in late fall/early winter, (2) dock/coonstripe shrimp during open season, (3) crab during open season (mostly rock crab), and (4) salmon during open season with emphasis on silvers and pinks. Salmon seasons have yet to be set for this upcoming year and due to recent drought and offshore conditions additional restrictions may be forthcoming. In short, stand by on salmon.

If you want to look at gear and chat about pier fishing stop by the tackle shop at Point Defiance Marina and talk with Art or Gene. They will also be holding a National Marina Day event in June which in the past has included a pier fishing derby. Watch and learn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My very first recommendation is to find a copy of the WDFW Fishing Regs pamphlet and become familiar with it to include licensing, single barbless hooks, seasons for MA 11, and daily/possession limit requirements.

While you can catch the occasional bottomfish (sole and perch) from the several piers to include Les Davis and Point Defiance Marina the several fisheries which garner a fair amount of activity from the piers are: (1) jigging for squid in late fall/early winter, (2) dock/coonstripe shrimp during open season, (3) crab during open season (mostly rock crab), and (4) salmon during open season with emphasis on silvers and pinks. Salmon seasons have yet to be set for this upcoming year and due to recent drought and offshore conditions additional restrictions may be forthcoming. In short, stand by on salmon.

If you want to look at gear and chat about pier fishing stop by the tackle shop at Point Defiance Marina and talk with Art or Gene. They will also be holding a National Marina Day event in June which in the past has included a pier fishing derby. Watch and learn.
Thank you for all of that wonderful information!

·
Registered
986 Posts
Lots more options years ago. Crabbing is ok but you need to be out there on the first day. Squid season is over but you can try it in September os so. Years ago I've caught many chinook salmon in the summer. But now I'm not sure. But I suggest you to visit that pier as often as possible to learn from the locals and see what they're getting. Don't waste your money buying the license to expect to catch some food.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. Anyone have thoughts on kayaking in the sound?
Lots of kayakers and some who regularly fish and crab from them. Nice that you can launch from locations not usable by boaters but down side is that they require a fairly decent skill set especially to fish from - and care to not be run over or other wise not get into trouble.

I have done some salmon fishing from a small skiff using live herring under a float and also for bottomfish.

You might want to check with specialty outfits selling kayaks or do some internet searches for kayak clubs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey there everyone! I'm pretty new to fishing in general, I want to know all about fishing at the les davis pier. What kind of fish are biting right now? What should I be fishing for? And when should I be fishing for it? Tides and all this are completely new to me. Even the types of rigs used out here! I've just moved from kentucky, and only have limited experience on that. So I was hoping you guys could fill me in on what I need to know or even show me if you are in the Tacoma Area.
Hello

Here's the truth. Puget Sound Pier fishing can be extremely challenging. Actually fishing the sound by boat is really tough. The good news is this summer a depressed pink salmon run will be here. It's better than nothing, however the quality and size of this salmon species is not the best. These fish will school and run the shoreline. If you find this, it can be lights out fishing. A kayak or boat, be very careful of tides and currents. If you watch for other areas where people are in small craft. It's probably pretty safe. If you find the school near shore. It will be fun. A medium duty trout rod or light steel head rod is all you need for these fish. I'm sure youtube would have videos on how to target them. Make sure you immediately clean and ice your catch.

I highly recommend you explore fishing piers or kayaking tougher to reach places. I would also target areas of puget sound that have better rivers or less fishing pressure. It might be worth the time to take a ferry or drive to more remote-hard to reach areas. The population and relative easy access to the Tacoma pier means lot's of pressure for very few fish.

For crabbing. The chances of catching anything legal by pier is going to take a lot of time. Amazon is a great place to buy crab gear. You might not even be successful. The issue is just cause it's a opener for recreational people. The sound crab are targeted by commercials who have seasons that sometimes open before us. There are multiple areas and seasons for crab. I would think your better off finding a pier that's on one of the islands. The less pressure, the better.

Good Luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Les Davis doesn't really fish well these days but you might catch a bullhead if ya put in some time. Better pier options would be dash point, pt defiance, and fox island piers. Primarily you'd be targeting flounder with a bottom right (also called a high low rig). Squid & nightcrawlers are probly the best baits for them imo.

If you're not against doing some wading in the sound or casting from the beach you can find some really good fishing flounder. I prefer looking for beachesthat are either firm sand sand or cobble bottoms. Fox island bridge, the shoreline between point defiance boathouse & Owens beach, and the lighthouse at browns point are good spots to try.

From shore I usually fishing a slip float with a nightcrawlers or a Marabou crappie jig tipped with a piece of worm or squid. Using a drop shot shot rig works good too, strips of squid are good for this since they're a pretty durable bait. I like to cast that and lift my rod tip slowing, reel in the slack and repeat. I'd suggest the smallest sized sinker you get away with while still getting good distance on your cast.

With beaches or from rocks, it's important to move around d if you're not getting bit in the first few casts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts