Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all of you for your input but I broke down and bought a Kimber 8400 Classic in .325WSM. I have shot and fondled some Kimber rifles and my business partner said get it....so I did. I have .338WM and it basically duplicates the ballistics in a package that weighs about 4 1/2lbs less.

The kicker was the wood this sweety sports....gorgeous.

Less than 200FPS difference between the 150gr .325WSM and the .300RUM. 68grs. of powder in the .325WSM vs. 106grs. of powder in the .300RUM to gain the difference. Smaller BC and SD in the .325 but the drop at 300 yds. is nothing, MPBR is about 30 yards difference. Plus a bigger hole with (hopefully) and exit wound is always a bonus.

Thanks to all for your wisdom and experience. I saved over $500 buying the Kimber vs. the Browning A-Bolt Titanium....and I am an FFL dealer...go figger.

·
2,222 Posts
The 150 grain bullet in the 325 is quite likely the worst bullet you could use in that cartridge. It should be shooting bullets in the low 200 range for best results.

150 grain bullets in a 325 is like shooting 110 grain bullets in a 30/06

I have been wondering how long it would be before more factory stuff was available for this cartridge. Manufacturers seem very VERY slow to jump on it. I think if I remember right there are only 2 factory bullet weights available. I had a guy hunt with me in June (RSA) that brought this identical rifle. Kimber in 325. He was handloading everything he shot due to lack of factory offerings. Has that improved at all? I don't own one so I don't know just following this through other guys who do.

Shooting a bigger then a 30 caliber hole is great, That's why the .338 has been such a powerful seller since 1958. I'm not sure how long it took for the 338 to catch fire but there is certainly a ton of factory and component level stuff for that now. Maybe this .325 which should be 8mm I think? will take off as well. Seems like a rather slow start though. If you can handload 8mm bullets then there should be plenty to choose from. I cannot recall what 8mm is though, I think it should be close to .325?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JJHACK said:
The 150 grain bullet in the 325 is quite likely the worst bullet you could use in that cartridge. It should be shooting bullets in the low 200 range for best results.

150 grain bullets in a 325 is like shooting 110 grain bullets in a 30/06

I have been wondering how long it would be before more factory stuff was available for this cartridge. Manufacturers seem very VERY slow to jump on it. I think if I remember right there are only 2 factory bullet weights available. I had a guy hunt with me in June (RSA) that brought this identical rifle. Kimber in 325. He was handloading everything he shot due to lack of factory offerings. Has that improved at all? I don't own one so I don't know just following this through other guys who do.

Shooting a bigger then a 30 caliber hole is great, That's why the .338 has been such a powerful seller since 1958. I'm not sure how long it took for the 338 to catch fire but there is certainly a ton of factory and component level stuff for that now. Maybe this .325 which should be 8mm I think? will take off as well. Seems like a rather slow start though. If you can handload 8mm bullets then there should be plenty to choose from. I cannot recall what 8mm is though, I think it should be close to .325?
Actually I was only comparing the two as far as efficiency. Sorry for the confusion. I am doing exactly as you say and will be worling on a good 200gr. load that should offer the best of both worlds.

I also don't think the 150gr .325WSM is a factory load I got that out of Hodgmons Load Data online.

Again sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Sounds like a sweet gun. Get a good pic of it (in sunlight) so we can see the woodwork your describing. Also, please keep us posted on your progress with load workup.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
8mm is .323 and that is what the 325 Win SM is. They just wanted to avoid the black cloud that seems to hang over anything with the 8mm appelation in this country.
I had an 8mm Rem Mag and sold it. My old carcass is just too wimpy for that kind of abuse. The short mag should be a bit kinder to a shoulder since the powder charge ejecta will be much less than the big case charges even with the same velocity and bullet weight.

I have two 8x57S rifles, one is the Remington Classic, the other is a Model 98 (FN 1930 action)that has been beautifully customized. It is light(71/4lbs with 4x Leupold) and fits me. A gun show pick up. I like it a bunch. It seems to be happiest with the 180 gr Nosler BT and the 200 grain partition. The Hornady 195 grain interlok is a moa load too. For plinkin and killing paper I use the 170 gr. Speer.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JJ--There are 3 different bullets weights being loaded currently in .325 a 180, 200 & 220gr. I have a box of Winchester accubond in 200 and a 180gr Ballistic Silvertip to start off with, if factory ammo gives the accuracy that I want I will buy a case of ammo and not worry. Since I handload (not as much as I'd like) and the .325 is just a necked up .300WSM I shouldn't have too much trouble finding brass. I do find the new resurgence of the medium bores interesting. After the .325 came out Federal came out with the .338 Federal and Ruger has the .338Ruger compact magnum. How did the the .325 strike you when your client used it in RSA.

·
2,222 Posts
It's a dandy cartridge, nothing to complain about at all. Availability of ammo, is a concern but other then that it's pretty darn good. My original thought on it was that it's just 338 with a different dress. What does it do that the versatile and common 338 does not? But it did work very effectively in RSA on every animal shot. The hunter using it was the VP of Citibank. He shot a lot of stuff with that rifle!

Kudu are one of the softer easier animals to kill, but this was a big animal regardless! He killed it with a Kimber in 325

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That sounds like a great rifle with some serious wallup. I am going to be working up 180 gr load for my 300wby this year, the 165 gr just destroyed too much elk.

BTW I heard you can just run those Kudus down and poke them with a stick. hehe. :)

ok where is that link to the kudu tribal hunter when you need it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JJ---The .325 won't kill anything more dead than my .338. It does allow me to shed about 4+ pounds compared to the rifle I have used the last 15 years.....it also allows me to get personal with a new primary hunting rifle. The .338 gets a new stock (showed up today) a new Leupold, a complete disassembly, bead blast and will be a fine backup. The Kimber needs to shoot as good (5/8") or better as the old'un. I ordered the scope for the Kimber today Leupold VXII 4-12X40 with the "Ballistic Aiming System" (long range reticle). Oh and I also found a source for factory loads in a 180gr TSX for the .325 and look forward to trying that.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I happened to see a picture of RW's new rifle today. The kid is going to be pumped up terrible. It is to dang pretty to shoot.
Congrats on a fine gun. Now that you have been talking about them for about four years! Some dreams do come true. Tup:

·
2,222 Posts
Over 4 pounds of weight reduction! Wow how heavy is that 338" My 458 Lott is only 9 pounds, my 30/06 is 7.5 loaded with the scope. My 375HH loaded with the scope is 9.3 pounds. I can't imagine 4plus pounds less then the 338! The fella I hunted with in RSA with the Kimber had the same gun, but I bet it was still 7 pounds loaded with the scope, and he had the ultralight grey synthetic stock.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My .338 on the scales with a 3.5-10 scope grey laminate stock leupold rings and sling tipped the postal scale at right at 12lbs. It has a heavier contour bbl and last year Elk hunting I felt it after 30 miles of hiking. The Kimber is 6lbs 10oz naked so with a scope, rings and bases I should be around 8lbs. So more like shedding 4lbs of rifle weight.

I decided to lighten my load all around since anymore we have to hunt further and harder to be successful. New hunting clothes with the Sitka Gear, new rifle and scope, new pack and next comes new boots. The boots are the hardest change for me as I still love my Danners but want a lighter cooler boot for mid-season (no snow) hunting.

·
2,222 Posts
Laminated wood stocks are wicked heavy! 12 lb rifles are bench rest sniper guns, not mountain hunting rifles! At least not for me! I think that is the heaviest 338 I've ever head of.

You can drop another chunk of weight if you exchange that wood stock for synthetic, and have a 100% more stability from moisture. I have seen several wood stocked guns that were tack drives go to heck after 2 days of hunting in SE Alaska with me. Once they get wet and start to swell even just a little bit, the movement and harmonics of the barrel change.

After a few years hunting in Alaska for a living with my clients coming from all around the world, I saw things with wood stocked rifles that were a problem several times. When the availability of good Synthetic stocks became more common I swapped them all out. I own only one wood stocked gun and it's a Laminated stock on my 11lb 25/06 sniper rifle. I deliberately wanted it heavy to help keep the scope on target at the shot. I like seeing the impacts with that rifle.

I no longer have this atraction to beautifully stocked precious wood. I like the have a gun that I know is gonna work 100% everytime regardless of weather, or where I'm at. Even travelling from one level of humidity to another can affect the way the wood lays. It can swell and move the barrel, or shrink and pull away from the barrel. A lot of this chit chat is for extreme accuracy, but even in Alaska we saw rifles several inches off at only 100 yards. Folks coming from tucson or Phoenix to Wet soggy sickening SE Alaska had wood stocked rifles that were like a sponge when they arrived.

I guess I should just stop beating around the bush and just come out and say, I'm a very big fan of stainless synthetic guns for serious hunting activity.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Congrats on your fine rifle. Sounds like a winner to me.... Tup:

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Just for the input. I read Rifle and Handloader Magazines on a wear em out basis. Apparently, according to Rifle, the 325WSM is selling like fry bread at a powwow. Scovill the editor hunted Namibia with one and blew much smoke at the cartridge. It will be interesting to see how the long term sales will go. Nothing like the writers blowing smoke about something to help sales. And then write in feedback has been good too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
SWEET SETUP!!

i purchased a tikka t3 in the .300 wsm shortly before they came out with the .325, and somewhat wished i had just waited a bit longer. But it sounds like your gunna have a sweet sweet huntin gun come that time! good buy. Tup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi RowvsWade, Nice cartridge and nice Kimber. Have you shot it yet? Let us know how it groups. I'm also curious how well it chambers. Hickville, how does your T3 group and chamber?

Thanks!

·
Registered
646 Posts
RVW is to busy trying to figure out how so many bullets went through the same hole! Yes, he finally went to the range, and he even had the scope on straight. I'm just jealous, he should be landing off his cloud sometime today. clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts