Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what a new carb for a 98 North River w/a 350 inboard should would/should cost??

Thanks
-Rory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

My previous boat had a Marine Power Chevy 305 and the carb was a Holley. I assumed it was a standard automotive carb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

DBAppraiser said:
2 BBl or 4 BBL?

Edelbrock 4bbl 600CFM marine application $327.99 on Edelbrock's web site

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=4067
I don't know how many BBL's (I'm guessing 4, as they said 2 were not working), thanks for the information, the prices went all the way to $1,400 +.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

DBAppraiser said:
You can put a standard auto carb on there but if you get inspected you will get a ticket.
What is the difference between an auto carb and marine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,149 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

CommanderX said:
DBAppraiser said:
You can put a standard auto carb on there but if you get inspected you will get a ticket.
What is the difference between an auto carb and marine?
You should never use a automotive carb on a boat. The bowl venting and fuel containment provisions are waay different. Because inboard engines operate in a confined, relatively closed area, measures are taken with marine carbs to make them more "explosion proof". I've got a buddy in the marine repair business who claims that 90% of engine fires are caused by either automotive carbs or that someone has messed with the carb or fuel system. At any rate, I wouldn't recommend using an automotive carb on a boat. That goes for marine electrical components too, like starters, alternators, voltage regulators, blowers , etc..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,688 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

The difference is in the way an auto and a marine carb handle fumes and overflow of fuel. Actually OB1 is the guy to ask this question and I'm sure he will jump in eventually. Also marine fuel pumps are different as well. As for starters and altinators you will be hard pressed to be able to tell the differences just by looking at them. In most cases those components have to be opened up to see if they are marine compliant.

Riverfishin, were you told that the secondaries weren't opening up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

RiverFishin, (Here I am DBAppraiser) A marine carb is designed to swallow all of the fuel spilling out the bowl vents usually caused by a stuck or sunk float, an auto carb is not, it will spill it all over the engine, not a good thing in an enclosed engine compartment. What exactly is wrong with your carb? Having it rebuilt usually works and is much, much cheaper than replacement. What kind of carb is it? IE: Holley, Rochester Quadrajet, Edelbrock, Carter, Etc.
I have rebuilt many carbs in my day and always had good luck as long as the shaft bushings weren't worn out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

DBAppraiser said:
The difference is in the way an auto and a marine carb handle fumes and overflow of fuel. Actually OB1 is the guy to ask this question and I'm sure he will jump in eventually. Also marine fuel pumps are different as well. As for starters and altinators you will be hard pressed to be able to tell the differences just by looking at them. In most cases those components have to be opened up to see if they are marine compliant.

Riverfishin, were you told that the secondaries weren't opening up?
That sounds about right, I know he said something about 2(maybe he said secondaries) were not opening up, and some rust too, sounded like a new one is in order...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,149 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

DBAppraiser said:
The difference is in the way an auto and a marine carb handle fumes and overflow of fuel. Actually OB1 is the guy to ask this question and I'm sure he will jump in eventually. Also marine fuel pumps are different as well. As for starters and altinators you will be hard pressed to be able to tell the differences just by looking at them. In most cases those components have to be opened up to see if they are marine compliant.
That's exactly right, DBA Tup: . As for not being able to tell the difference by looking at electrical components, that's why it's critical that they be marine rated. In the case of the electrical components, marine grade component are supposed to not arc or spark, or the spark must be contained so it isn't exposed to any fuel vapors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

RiverFishin, I think your mechanic may be trying to take you for a ride! Carburetors are made out of aluminum which doesn't rust. The only parts made of steel are the butterflies and the shafts, both of which can be cleaned with a piece of emery cloth and re-installed no problem. Alot of mechanics out there don't want to do carb rebuilds because they just don't have the skills or the patients. You are free to do what you want but a new carb is $300.00 plus dollars a carb rebuild kit is about $20.oo
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to remove, rebuild, reinstall, and readjust that carb. Even at $90.00 p/hr that is still only 200 to 225 bucks. If you want I can give you my phone number if you want more info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

OB-1 said:
RiverFishin, I think your mechanic may be trying to take you for a ride! Carburetors are made out of aluminum which doesn't rust. The only parts made of steel are the butterflies and the shafts, both of which can be cleaned with a piece of emery cloth and re-installed no problem. Alot of mechanics out there don't want to do carb rebuilds because they just don't have the skills or the patients. You are free to do what you want but a new carb is $300.00 plus dollars a carb rebuild kit is about $20.oo
It shouldn't take more than 2 hours to remove, rebuild, reinstall, and readjust that carb. Even at $90.00 p/hr that is still only 200 to 225 bucks. If you want I can give you my phone number if you want more info.
Thanks for the info. I'll know more tomorrow about how much, but they were thinking $400-600 for new carb or up to 4-5 hours to fix....I'll have to ask where the rust is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

4 or 5 Hours? Hell when I was working in the boat shops I could have had the engined pulled, disasembled and off to the machine shop for for boring and honing faster than that!!!! Hey man I am not kidding some one is trying to screw you here!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

OB-1 said:
4 or 5 Hours? Hell when I was working in the boat shops I could have had the engined pulled, disasembled and off to the machine shop for for boring and honing faster than that!!!! Hey man I am not kidding some one is trying to screw you here!!!!
Yup! The man speaks the truth. Seems like you're getting a "let's screw him" surcharge...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Re: New Carb for inboard, how much??

OB-1 said:
4 or 5 Hours? Hell when I was working in the boat shops I could have had the engined pulled, disasembled and off to the machine shop for for boring and honing faster than that!!!! Hey man I am not kidding some one is trying to screw you here!!!!
Couldn't be said any straighter! Rebuild the one you have, and then spend the rest of what you would have paid this so called shop on goodies for the boat Tup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
RiverFishin is bringing the boat over tonight so I can have a look. Apparently there was an Edelbrock aftermarket intake put on it, Northriver mechanics said they are concerned about the dependability if they work on this boat. We will keep all that are interested updated as it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Ok here is the results of the new carb thread. First off let me appologise for any negative comments either stated or implied about the guys at North River boats, after meeting RiverFishn aka: Rory, he assured me that he never felt like they were trying to screw him. After looking his boat over (nice boat btw!) and talking to him about what the mechanic said I have come to this conclusion, they guys there just aren't in the know about anything older than about a 2002/3.
Which is fine, they are just used to servicing the boats they sell and probably don't work on much of anything that is old enough to be out of warranty. I on the other hand( being unaware of the fact that you could actually buy a boat that was newer than about 20 years old) am just much more used to seeing equipment in this vintage. Rory's boat a 1998 18foot NorthRiver has at some time in the past had an Edelbrock Aluminum intake manifold put on it, this being other than stock caused some confusion and apprehension about servicing the motor amongst the mechanics at N.R. I gave it a once over and all appears to be in good working order, starts right up and runs good! I did however have one suggestion for Rory and all of his jet boat brethren, I really think you guys should consider putting a "Flushing T" in the water supply line that carries water from your jet pump to your engine for cooling purposes. If you do this you will be able to run fresh water through your engine and exhaust manifolds and due a better job of flushing out any remaining salt or debris. This simple action could save you a lot of money in part replacement due to excessive salt corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,197 Posts
So it's not a $20.00 carb rebuild? Are you going to replace the automotive parts with marine parts?

I had a Duckworth with the inline "flushing T' and it seemed to work, but I think North River and Hamilton Jet don't want anyone running the jet without about 500 gallons per minute of water passing through. I asked when I bought and they don't want the warranty problems associated with low flow going the pump.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top