Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Areas 121, 23 and 123

April 1 to Dec 31, 2008: " No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in that portion of Area 121 seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees 34.000 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes west longitude and continues southeasterly at a bearing of 116 degrees true to a point at 48 degrees 28.327 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes west longitude. [12 nautical mile limit]
oastwide
March 1 to 31, 2008: Daily limit of one. Possession limit of 3.
April 1 to May 31, 2008: Daily limit of one. Possession limit of 2.
June 1 to Dec 31, 2008: Daily limit of two. Possession limit of 2.
Listed on 21/02/

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am not familiar with the Canadian areas, so how does this affect the people fishing out of the Washington ports?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
WaveDancer said:
I am not familiar with the Canadian areas, so how does this affect the people fishing out of the Washington ports?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
-The charter operators that fish our highly migratory halibut stocks on the canadian side of the boarder are getting hit. Online licenses no longer apply for US citizens in the normal areas where they fish (123). Now they require paper licenses (again).

-The new regs also complete closed a large triangle on the canadian side within 121 (no online license anyway) along the boarder for "finfish" other than salmon. This does virtually nothing to those fishing out of candadian ports. But it impacts those fishing halibut/lingcod out of US ports. Nothing changes on Canadian Swiftsure.

-Daily limit has change from 2 fish to 1 before June 1st.

Imo, the reg change is a direct shot at the charters that fish halibut out of Neah Bay, and their customers. It could've been worse. But DFO achieved nothing to prevent the supposed illegal charters operating out of Canadian ports. Only the legal guys will probably suffer some impact to their bookings in May. Just another reduction in opportunity for us WA state sporties. And as far as conservation.., I did not think that the yearly quota in 121 and 123 is ever reached? In the past, it was always 335 days a year with a two halibut limit. Now...

:x

That what I get from it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This is VERY VERY VERY BAD NEWS. sick: :( conf: :x :evil:

Here is the link:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Op ... fish_e.htm

Areas 121, 23 and 123

April 1 to Dec 31, 2008: " No person shall fish for or retain halibut, rockfish and lingcod in that portion of Area 121 seaward of a line that begins at 48 degrees 34.000 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 17.386 minutes west longitude and continues southeasterly at a bearing of 116 degrees true to a point at 48 degrees 28.327 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 01.687 minutes west longitude. [12 nautical mile limit]

April 1/08 to March 31/09: " Electronic licence conditions will be expanded as follows:
"no person who is not a Canadian resident may fish for or retain halibut under this licence in Areas 121, 23 and 123."

Listed on 21/02/2008 FN0077

Where does that line start? I will have to look at Maptech online and see.

J.D. - They are taking drastic measures for no apparent reason. I don't get it. Pretty soon it is just going to be "closed to all Americans". This is a joke. sick: Have you figured out how much halibut our American charters take? I bet it is less than 1%. What a load of crap. sick: I figured that they would change the limit to one a day, 2 in possession, but I didn't figure that they would shut down 121 or enforce a paper license for 123. It does not get any more direct than this: They are telling us that they don't want us there. Is there anyway that the charters can have clients jump across at Port Angeles and get licenses before going to Neah Bay? This is very unfortunate.

Is Manifest Destiny still in place??? I will see if I can scramble a couple of F-22s.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
This has been in the works for a long time. For years, the catch of Canadian sports fish out of Neah Bay has been a bone of contention for the BC sports industry. They receive no benefit from these sports fish, and they come off their allocation. BC sports catches are coming under very close scrutiny these days, as they have exceeded their allocation for an number of years now. The change in license requirements, and closures of some areas to online or other licenses, is a step towards reducing this US catch of Canadian sports halibut.

The other measures, starting later, daily and possession limits, are geared towards reducing the overall BC halibut sports fishery, but BOTH US and Canadian fishers.

It's not surprising that they have done this, just that they took so long to do it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
TrollKing said:
This has been in the works for a long time. For years, the catch of Canadian sports fish out of Neah Bay has been a bone of contention for the BC sports industry. They receive no benefit from these sports fish, and they come off their allocation. BC sports catches are coming under very close scrutiny these days, as they have exceeded their allocation for an number of years now. The change in license requirements, and closures of some areas to online or other licenses, is a step towards reducing this US catch of Canadian sports halibut.

The other measures, starting later, daily and possession limits, are geared towards reducing the overall BC halibut sports fishery, but BOTH US and Canadian fishers.

It's not surprising that they have done this, just that they took so long to do it.
When you say "they receive no benefit from these sports fish", I am assuming you mean economic benefit. Of course they receive no allocation benefit because those numbers go on their tab. However, to fish 121, we did go to a Canadian vendor to buy a license and did pay their non-resdient fee to fish so I don't see how this is going to help their problem. We can still go to Canada and catch their fish with a vendor license. The charters can't fish 123 anymore because of the e-license rule, but if they are thinking that are going to see a difference from those handful of charters catching Canadian halibut, I would be willing to bet they are wrong. Not a whole lot of sportfishers go from Neah Bay all the way to La Perouse to catch halibut, so the e-license rule really didn't help them out there either. As far as the closed area....who fishes there anyway? The charters never fished there because it was area 121 and I don't know anyone (sporties) that would hall arse out there when swiftsure is 20 miles away.

The reduction in limits make sense if the biomass of halibut is less this year, but from where I stand right now, the rest looks like garbage to me. It smells funny to me. sick: I think you are right about the "step towards reducing the US catch". I see this as nothing more than a stepping block for them to impose more regulations on the US only crowd...down the line. I would not be surprised if they came out with a separate set of regulations for us and the Canadians with regards to this fishery.

I am just trying to understand the reasoning...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will see the impact of the charters on the season this year off or waters if they fish only US water there may only be a two or three day season.

·
Registered
330 Posts
cat fisher said:
You will see the impact of the charters on the season this year off or waters if they fish only US water there may only be a two or three day season.
I'm not quite sure why you are saying that. They fished our openers last year. I know because I was there (at Blue Dot) with them for a couple of the days. Did they fish every single opener we had...I don't know. The number of fish they take is small. Put anywhere from 6 to 15 people on the boat. That is 6 to 15 halibut per boat when open. How many pounds do you think that is if there are literally only a handful of charters out of Neah Bay? Our season is already skewed because of the smaller quota. I predict 5 days total for Neah Bay regardless of charter participation.

Anticipate the best, expect the worse.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Cornfed said:
Have you figured out how much halibut our American charters take?
No, but here my quess at numbers. I'm going to say that on the high end that the most they take is 90,000lbs. Now this is a quess, not at all accurate. But let's say on avarege of 6 US charter boats with a an average of 10 passengers with a 100% catch rate of 2 halibut per angler weighing 25lbs on average, fish 30 days in Canada. Thats 90,000lbs of a 9,000,000lb quota. Or 1% of, again, on the high end. Your quess is about as good as mine. Contrast that with the candian commercial fleet which is intitled to 88% of the 2B quota (7,380,000lbs). Compare that with WA waters within 2A, where our sports quoata is 220,000 and the BC sports quota is just over 1,000,000lbs.

Like a gready little kid with with most all the marbles. Won't share 'em with the his buddy that only has a couple. I'm half-tempted to never spend my sportfishing dollar in Canada ever again. Online license or otherwise. Don't even get me started on the salmon side of things (wonder what numbers of WA bound salmon are intercepted in their waters?). Tdown:

If the clients of the US based charters fishing canada accept that they have to physically go across the boarder to get a license, with their passport or whatever it's gonna take, maybe they won't take a hit at all. It would be a bad thing if this ruling forces certain charter operators to suffer. Can only hope it doesn't.

Trollking. I didn't know that BC ever exceeded its portion? Thanks for making that clear. Wonder if someday they will only have 5 days a year to fish halibut off of their coast?

Catfisher. The US charters usually always have booked for the US side when open in May. The new ruling does nothing in effect our opportunity (or by comparison to canada, lack there of) out of Lapush and Neah during that month.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
From the IPHC Bluebook (the public handout at the annual meeting held in Portland recently.
http://www.iphc.washington.edu/halcom/p ... book08.pdf

The estimate for Washington anglers fishing in Canadian waters and landing in Washington State ports in 2007 has been provided by WDFW as 140,676 pounds
for 9,977 halibut.

The Canadian sports fishery was allocated (by DFO) 1.589 million pounds in 2006. They caught 1.773.
They were allocated 1.381 in 2007, and best estimates is catch was similar to 2006.

These overages are a conservation issue to the IPHC. In 2006, by our best estimates, around 10% of the entire Canadian sport allocation was taken by US anglers launching out of Neah Bay. As they are being subject to season restrictions, bag and possession restrictions, for fishers launching from Canada, it only makes sense they take steps to reduce the Neah Bay "take".

I liked an earlier posters comment, that if the US season was 'giving' a portion of their season to Canadian harvesters, there would be some kind of [email protected]# to pay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't think the e-license restriction means much to the charters, a few years ago there was no e-license, now you just drive to bc like before. The 12 mile restriction does mean something, Swiftsure will be the only option unless you run to area 123. My guess is the charters will run to 123. In the end I don't see a major change in the number of fish taken by the neah bay sport fleet in canada. Area 123 is only 6 miles further than 121-3. Swiftsure fishery remains the same.

·
Registered
330 Posts
samsims said:
I don't think the e-license restriction means much to the charters, a few years ago there was no e-license, now you just drive to bc like before. The 12 mile restriction does mean something, Swiftsure will be the only option unless you run to area 123. My guess is the charters will run to 123. In the end I don't see a major change in the number of fish taken by the neah bay sport fleet in canada. Area 123 is only 6 miles further than 121-3. Swiftsure fishery remains the same.
I hope you are right. I hope that their clients will be willing to buy a hardcopy license. It is really not that hard to do on the way to Neah Bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts