Game Fishing Forum banner

Netscape

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Nightcrawler 
#1 ·
We are getting reports that Netscape will slowly be shutting down from February 2008. Has anybody any news on this happening.

I do not use the program but I know lots do.

#3 ·
Yes its true John. Calif based AOL anounced it last Friday. They will no longer support and Netscape platforms starting next year. You can still use them but the support and updates will cease.

I am sadened as a old time Netscape user. I grew up in Mountain View CA about 2 miles from there old company HQ. I loved using Netscape up to about version 4 and then finally moved over to IE and Mozilla. Nothing against them but AOL bought them and did not know what to do with them. Plus I hate AOL.

Netscape=Rest in piece clap:

#13 ·
it'sa sad day. I still have some corporate suppies from when netscape sold to aol (really this is how micorshaft finally got 'em)

I have the internal corporate dvd with all the information they gave to their emplayees about their demise. I keeo it for memorabilia. in the beginnning, you had to pay for newtscape and IE was fre so that's how they got the ho9ld on the market. as usualy, microshaft contnues to practice it's monoloistic practices and forcing the little guys out. the more competetion, the more incentive to actiually make us better products. I will miss it. I spent many years teching it and for years, it really was the superior Mac software (unitl version 7, thanks aol / ms)

it's spirirt still luves on in firefox.. but RIP netscape

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.