Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am in the middle of a Master in Environmental Project Management degree program. I have to do a 20 page paper for a writing class on a topic of my choice. I would like your input. Here's kinda what I'm thinking. Also, this could turn out to be my thesis topic.

DOE has tons of data on WA state rivers and lakes. I was thinking of the following:

A review of current and recent Washington State water quality studies and their relevance to sportsmen and others using state waters.

Should I trim it down to only certain waters? Representative of both sides of the state? Rivers only?

Any input is appreciated. Thanx in advance. randy

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I think you could talk to smalma and see if he can help you make Your distinctions based on wether the river has a fish killing dam , valve or culvert that would skew the info , How could you do an accurate water quality study when there are other causes to fish /smolt mortality ?,
So My two cents , Water quality is a relative factor to 'use of state waters' , since this is a fishing site I assume use In relevence to fishing state waters ,
And if it were about fishing and water quality , that could be skewed by many factors other than water quality ,
To Me you could do a large report about Smolt survival and water quality , But then what other factors such as a big rain season to wash out the eggs ,
MANY factors , So I would say if it were to be about water quality it would have to be in a river where that was the sole cause of degradation and not The other above mentioned problems , or it could be a report that details all the factors that would effect a water quality study ,

·
Registered
342 Posts
Check out the information on the Columbia river. I just finished a 12 page paper on Politics and the Columbia River and there is more than enough information for a 20 page essay.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hooksetter -
I agree with fishhead water quality issues is a very large topic and it might be helpful to narrow things down a bite.

Don't know what your interests are but a couple sub-sets of the water quality issues that effect we anglers include:

1) the toxins that seem to becoming increasingly common in the flesh of the fish we catch/eat?. The issue runs from the mercury in bass in lakes to PCBs in Puget Sound Chinook and everything in between. Just look at all the health advisories in the fishing pamphlet. This would be a large concern to me if I had a young family.

2) The effect of poor water quality on our ESA listed fish stocks here in Washington (the fact they are listed has a great impact on we anglers). Again that covers a large range of potential issues - elevated stream temperatures, excessive sediments, pollutents, and basic lack of flows.

Good luck
Curt

·
Registered
258 Posts
The lower green is one of the most disgusting rivers ive fished! Trash everywhere and who knows what seeps in there from boeing. Old timers have told me the green used to be REALLY good for steelhead/salmon and it has dwindled.... Most of it is probably from overfishing though, still be intresting to see research done on that river ;)

·
Registered
776 Posts
And of course there is Lake Washington and its ecosystem. sick: + millions of gallons of sewer to help you out. it does sound like a fun paper though!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts