Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 87 F250 longbed with 460 has dual tanks. Unfortunatly the front (midship) tank plastic fuel lines (one send and one return) got crushed at ends going to sending unit. Ford does not any longer sell the OE plastic fuel lines that are about 3 feet in length and go to the selector valve. You can not use standard fuel line as a replacment as it would work on flanged ends on sending unit pipes on tank. However to hook to the selector valve Ford uses some custom connectors and they dont have flanges on pipe. I am stuck needed these fuel lines and I can get custom for very high price out of Kansas. I am hopeful that becuse so many of these trucks were made, maybe there is a junkyard somewhere I can pull old ones from. Anyone know of any?

G

·
Re: Need a Ford truck junkyard local? any help?

Also try this website. I've ordered parts from them in the past. It seems like this place has almost EVERYTHING.

It will automatically come up for a 1987 ford (from the search criteria I used). Select your model, then select your engine, then select Fuel/Air, Then fuel Line connector?? I'm only assuming that this is what you're looking for.

If you can't find what you're looking for, I would think you could call them. I didn't look for a phone number. I just did some quick browsing.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,FORD,1987

Good luck!!

Let me know if you had any luck.

Is this what it looks like??

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

I would call these guys:

http://broncograveyard.com/

and

http://www.lmctruck.com/

also you might try Walt and Verns in Buckley for a local wrecking yard. I would call LMC Truck first as they specialize in reproduction and after market Ford Truck parts.

Also Pull A Part

18306 Hwy 99 Lynnwood, WA 98037-4410 (425) 778-3147

·
Registered
1,898 Posts

Walt & Verns in Buckley or South End Auto Wrecking (they have a Truck yard down on "C" St. in Auburn.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

Give NAPA a shot you would be surprised what they have for older cars and trucks.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks everyone. Yes that is the fitting. Only I need the complete hose and that part is only a length of 18inch and one fitting. Thanks! I appriecitate they help. I had been told about LMC on the Ford truck forum and they do sell the hoses but its like 179.00 for both and there are only about 3 feet long each.

What I am thinking I can do. The tank sending unit has a flanged ends. So I could put standard rubber or steel braided rubber fuel line on that side. The problem with stock valve selector where the other end hooks with the connector shown above is that is a straight piece of plastic. I can buy a Partsamerica new valve selector and it has a flanged end. I am thinking the rubber fuel line would hook to the new one with no problem. Does that sound workable?/?/

If not, Yes I need a find from a local junkyard!

This picture shows the hose as one but it is two of them. Its the midship tank hose listed as number "1" on picture from LMC.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.asp?page=109

This is pic of new with flanged ends selector valve.
Niehoff Ignition Fuel Selector Valve

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 31&PTSet=A

·
Registered
436 Posts

I'd recommend Walt & Vern's. Several years ago my '94 Ranger was broken int through the push out window on the extended cab. There were NO after market parts and Ford was asking $1500 for the replacement. They located one in Idaho for me and it was shipped to my house. Great service.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

DBAppraiser said:
Ice, I'm pretty sure you could go with an after market selector valve and just use standard fuel line. Just depends on how creative you want to get.
I am a good mechanic. Its only 3 feet. I could route the steel braided fuel line front sending unit and used stock clips or big ties to run along frame to selector valve like stock. Just need to hope both the selector valve and hose are same size ID.

You may ask how they plastic melted. Well the muffler blew up and split in half. Its in close promity to the mid tank. The heat melted the plastic fuel line. Very lucky there was not a fire or worse!

Here are pics of plastic hose melted off sending unit metal pipes and the selector valve with connections.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

Also Pull A Part

18306 Hwy 99 Lynnwood, WA 98037-4410 (425) 778-3147

When I had my 1973 F-350 parts for trucks were available their constantly. The don't know squat when you call them on the phone, just go there bring tools, and keep your fingers crossed.

There are a ton of older ford trucks because once they break no one wants to fix them cause they are gas guzzlers.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks! I was going to try them. You are right about not fixing. I could buy a compete one on craigslist for under 500.00 Almost worth it for a parts vehicle. :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Iceshark, That valve will work fine as long as it has the right number of supply and return lines, I know that there is a tank valve available through Holley also.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

okay, Maybe and easy fix to this. I spent part of the day at pick a part buy all the hoses had been cut for tanks. Darn it!!!!

So I removed my bad ones. You will see in pics that the stock quick connects have barbs. Both are different sizes. The fuel one has an OD of about 6/8ths and the Return line about 5/8ths So with the pipes being thin fish tank like plastic garbage I think the right size rubber braided fuel line would be about 5/8ths and 1/4 inch. The key here is if REPLACEMENT quick connect fittings can be purchased. I would think so as they break very easy when you pull off to replace tank or valve. I am hopefull anyway!

If so I could put hose on them and away I go!

That would be cheaper then replacing sending unit and valve to get ones with barbs as the stock ones are straight pipe with connect rings.

Here are pics. Hoses are about 28inch long each.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Iceshark, you may be able to cut the flanges off of the sending unit and go to your local hydraulic repair shop and get brass compression type fittings that you can screw brass hose barbs into. They are cheap and plentiful! I would enlist the help of a digital caliper or a micrometer to get an exact measurement of the metal tubes coming out of the sending unit and check with the hydraulic shop if they have a fitting before I cut it though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts