Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GF'ers:

I want to get a Navionics card for my Lowrance and have been told that I need two different cards by two different dealers. Can anyone tell me what card will provide maps for Puget Sound?

Regards,

·
Registered
339 Posts
I went thru the same thing, I bought the 12XG because its covers Puget sound , the straights and down the coast, The 13XG is Canadian waters, Puget sound and the straights out to Neah Bay but dose not go down the coast but it dose cover all of Vancouver island. Now from my understanding Puget sound is divided into South Sound, North Sound, the Straights and you will need to go into your menu and select the area you are in at the time. If it was not for that I would have gotten the 13XG instead of the 12XG. I bought mine at Landfall for 179.00 and no TAX!!! http://www.landfallnavigation.com/navionicsxl.html I have used them before and they ship real fast, call there 1-800 number and order that way. You can call Navionics and talk to them about what the differences between the maps. O ya don't forget to order your free fish and chips chip with the mailer that comes with your chip it shows all the underwater terrain.

Mike

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Mine is British Columbia Gold (12X I think) and covers all of WA coast and Puget Sound. You also get a free fishing specific card with more bottom contouring.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Both cover Puget Sound.

You just have to decide weather having the Washington Coast from LaPush south mapped is more important than the West Coast of Vancouver Is. from Barkley Sound north, or not.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If you go to J & G Marine on marine view drive they will custom make you one that covers everything from alaska, canada, westcoast, and pugetsound. I was tired of changing out chips, and when I went there to buy a new one, they told me they could combine them into one chip. I love it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MGoBlue said:
Mine is British Columbia Gold (12X I think) and covers all of WA coast and Puget Sound. You also get a free fishing specific card with more bottom contouring.
Tell me more about this "fishing specific card with more bottom contouring"? Does this come with the Gold card? Is that what the difference between a Navionics Gold and Navionics card is? What type of additional detail does it provide? Geesh, is this really that confusing, or am I just stoopid? conf:

·
Registered
339 Posts
One difference between the two cards is on the US card the map of the Puget Sound, the Straights and the Islands are all in one BIG map but on the Canadian chip US waters are broke down into SMALLER maps. What this means is if your in south sound headed north at a certain point your map will run out and you will need to go into your fish finder and change you area to north Puget sound map same with the straights and the Islands. Like I said contact Navionics and talk to them and do a little research on line you can also read about the fish and chip on there web page. One more note if you buy the Canadian chip the fish and Chip will be only Canadian waters and do you no good down here where I am sure you do most of your fishing.

Mike

·
Registered
562 Posts
Idlechater said:
MGoBlue said:
Tell me more about this "fishing specific card with more bottom contouring"? Does this come with the Gold card? Is that what the difference between a Navionics Gold and Navionics card is? What type of additional detail does it provide? Geesh, is this really that confusing, or am I just stoopid? conf:

When you buy a new Navionics Gold Card you get a free Fish N Chip. You just need to send in the receipt to Navionics and tell them what area you want and they send it to you pretty fast. It's only available for US waters, not Canada (unfortunately). It is much more detailed as far as the bottom. I use it all the time when blackmouth fishing because it shows the bottom contour, drop offs and ledges much better. It allows me to keep the ball on the bottom easier. When navigating you need to switch back to the regular Gold card because the Fish N Chip doesn't have the navigation info.

I have the 13XG because in addition to Puget Sound and the Straits, I like to fish Vancouver Island as well. The new Gold card also now cover La Push which is nice. However, as others have said if you need the rest of the Washington coast you’ll need that 2nd card.

Slabby

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just remember....the fish chip bathometric data for the 913G is not all there yet. It is for the 912G. The Canadians are little stingy with the data. So when you get up into BC, you're not going to have the highly accurate countour data as you would with the 912G.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts