Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I would share w/ you all a few of my jigs. I actually started tying salmon and steelhead flies first. But if you know how to tie a fly you can tie a jig and vica versa. Most my jigs I tie for ascetic purposes because I enjoy tying both flies and jigs. Jigs can be very simple and will catch plenty of steelhead.I would also like to share some info about how different feathers and fur will impart different action in the water

In the photo above starting w/ red chenille w/ red sparkle in it (unfortunately you can't see the chenille on the rear of the jig or the sparkle in the chinelle). Then I tied in a black schrapplen feather. I folded the feather over and then palmered it a few turns. If you look at hook's tutorial on palmering marabou palmering schrapplen is done the same way. Next I wrapped the thread over the feather in what's know as a "wet collar" style. Then added some more chenille then schrapplen. Last I took two matching red feathers tying concave side facing out and tied them in.
On the pink jig I palmered the marabou and also added schrapplen wet collar style, but between the Marabou and schrapplen I palmered Mallard flank. I like the barred look of mallard flank and you can get in many dyed colors other than natural which is what I used here. The jig on the Left is about four different colors of palmered marabou as well as pearl and burnt orange crystal flash. I like palmering different colors of marabou. Hackle collar is dyed orange guinea hen. With the different colors all palmered they really mix up in all different ways when moving in the water as apposed to just tying clumps next to each other.

Black jig on the left is marabou but the collar is made of guinea hackle feather underneath the feather is orange estaz. Great stuff and easy to work w, also gives of very good flash. I opened up the jig on the far left so you could see the red chenille underneath. Adding chenille, estaz, dubbing etc. will "open up" marabou when palmered and not make it collapse so much in a strong current. It also looks real good as the marabou covers it then uncovers it as it's moving through the water. The jig on top has black ice dub (which you can't see in the pic here) and a purple zonker strip on top. I poked a hole through the zonker strip then slipped it over the hook and tied on, "Matuka style" goggle that if you interested in knowing how the Matuka style is done.

The top left jig palmered marabou, palmered purple schrapplen, guinea hackle feather dyed purple swept back collar style. Jig top right Cream palmered marabou then a few strand of blue and pearl flashabou tied on top and both sides then mallard flank, palmered Kingfisher blue schrapplen ( it's hard to tell it's kingfisher blue because of the background color). Yes the bottom jig is just one jig! It's about 3 1/2 inches long and I call it the MOAL leach jig. Named after the popular steelhead fly "MOAL leach" (MOAL stands for Mother Of All Leaches). It's an articulated jig. It's tied buy running 20 pound dacron line through a 1/0 gamagatsu octopus hook then the dacron is tied to the front hook shank. Cross cut rabbit fur is then wrapped around the dacron then up the jig hook shank (here I used black and purple rabbit. then I added a purple schrapplen feather and tied it back wet collar style. Finally the front hook is cut off as close to the shank as possible. Being tied mainly on dacron it wiggles and turns in the water. A sure getter for those big nates!
So now some thoughts on feathers and fur. Lets start w/rabbit hair, I really like rabbit It's really easy and fast to work w/ weather using zonker strips or cross cut strips. It makes a full body and moves very, very, well with practically no water current, it also makes a great dubbing. The only draw back for me is the hair is so fine it ends up in my nose, eyes and all over my face and drives me nuts!. Marabou is great it breaths and moves at the slightest movement of water. But a draw back is that it can really go streamline in faster water. One of the reasons why I like to add schrapplen to my marabou jigs is because it is a webby feather and tends to open up when marabou has gone into what I call that streamline manner. Mallard flank is similar to schrapplen, but is a bit stiffer in it's webbyness and opens up a bit more than schrapplen. Then you have guinea hackle feather which is a very stiff feather and pretty much stays open in all but the fastest currents. Plus I just think it's a cool looking feather, weather dyed or natural. There are many, many, more materials out there but these are some of my favorites. I'm also very partial to just a yarn tail jig w/some chenille wound forward...
Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask or just pm me...
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Mark, great post Tup: , I'm just starting to gather the tools to start making jigs, so I may be PMing you soon :D

Thanks
-Rory

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Now that's a great post. Thanx for sharing all of that. Those are some sweet lookin jigs. No self respecting Steelhead would dare to pass one of those up. :D Tup: clap:

·
Banned
109 Posts
Another piece if advice for all you beginner tiers, do not skimp on cheap hooks. Its the worst thing you can do and you will lose many fish over them. When I began tying I bought the ones from wal mart that I thought would work just as good, Id lost 4 fish in a row on them, hook bent straight out. Id highly reccomend Joes rvrstickers from rvrfshr.com, exellent price and high quality hooks, along with gamis or owners but your gonna pay a few more bucks.

Jake

·
Registered
867 Posts
O. mykiss said:
Another piece if advice for all you beginner tiers, do not skimp on cheap hooks. Its the worst thing you can do and you will lose many fish over them. When I began tying I bought the ones from wal mart that I thought would work just as good, Id lost 4 fish in a row on them, hook bent straight out. Id highly reccomend Joes rvrstickers from rvrfshr.com, exellent price and high quality hooks, along with gamis or owners but your gonna pay a few more bucks.

Jake
Yeah I bought a bunch(over 100) of jigs heads from cabelas awhile back and I ended up getting rid of them all because the hooks are just cheap bronze that easily bend out. A good hook is the most important part of the jig in my opinion.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As w/ any lure, jig, etc. I agree the most important part is the hook. All my jigs are tied on Gamagatsu 604 heavy wire hooks. Good hooks r a must! When your steelheading and your hoping maybe to hook up on one or two that day, the last thing you want is a bad hook! What if it was that 20 pounder plus you've waited forever to get and you lost it due to a dull or weak hook! Another thing I didn't mention in my post earlier is don't be afraid to try some different colors. When a hundred pink and white jigs come by those same steelhead holding, it just might be that odd ball jig that gets their attention and w/ that the strike you've been waiting for. It really comes down to size, color and materials. Oh yea and if the fish want to bite that day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts