Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Made my first Wounded Veteran Fishing Program trip to American Lake yesterday, April 5th. Met Dan Gabriel, WVFP director, and James Mote, my fishing buddy for the day at the JBLM dock in the morning. James is on the right and Dan is on the left in the second pic.

Had a GREAT day on the water even though we caught no fish. We listened to music, ate chicken sammiches and generally just enjoyed the day. I think for James it was just a day to get away from responsibility and do something relaxing. He appeared to really enjoy it. I know he liked the music.

The first pic is at the Lakewood dock takeout. James and my friend Rick, who also fished with us. That's my boat, so if you see us on the water give us a shout out.

Toni, was that you in the little boat we passed? Looked like the downrigger the Kokanee Kid rigged for you. When we passed it looked like you were doing about as well as we were.

For those of you thinking about taking a wounded veteran out, DO IT!!!!! It is incredibly rewarding to think you might add a ray of sunshine to their day. Lessons learned from the first day? No tomatoes on the chicken sammich for James, and more fish next trip.

A big shout out to Mike and the guys at Ted's Sporting Goods for helping out with some fishing supplies. Every little bit helps.

Next trip as soon as Dan can schedule it. See you on the water!!!!

randy

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
Great report! I met Dan a few weeks ago while fishing the Columbia out of by buddies boat, he's a class act for sure. Looking forward to lending a hand during the next fishing trip for our wounded vets.

Thanks Dan for all you do.

RW

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
HookSetter said:
Hey All,

Made my first Wounded Veteran Fishing Program trip to American Lake yesterday, April 5th. Met Dan Gabriel, WVFP director, and James Mote, my fishing buddy for the day at the JBLM dock in the morning. James is on the right and Dan is on the left in the second pic.

Had a GREAT day on the water even though we caught no fish. We listened to music, ate chicken sammiches and generally just enjoyed the day. I think for James it was just a day to get away from responsibility and do something relaxing. He appeared to really enjoy it. I know he liked the music.

The first pic is at the Lakewood dock takeout. James and my friend Rick, who also fished with us. That's my boat, so if you see us on the water give us a shout out.

Toni, was that you in the little boat we passed? Looked like the downrigger the Kokanee Kid rigged for you. When we passed it looked like you were doing about as well as we were.

For those of you thinking about taking a wounded veteran out, DO IT!!!!! It is incredibly rewarding to think you might add a ray of sunshine to their day. Lessons learned from the first day? No tomatoes on the chicken sammich for James, and more fish next trip.

A big shout out to Mike and the guys at Ted's Sporting Goods for helping out with some fishing supplies. Every little bit helps.

Next trip as soon as Dan can schedule it. See you on the water!!!!

randy
No it wasn't me. I was working hard trying to make money to go fishing. ;)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hooksetter,

Are you going to be involved with the "Wounded Warrior" event later this month? I am, and looking forward to the event myself!!! Looks like everyone had a good time!!!

I'll keep my eye out for you out there. If your on the VHF let me know what channel, and we can chat!

I'm sure all the Veteran's appreciate the chance to get on the water. Great job at offering up that opportunity!!!

Winterun

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Winterun,

Yes I'm going to be at the group run at American on April 28th. Also trying to get a WW for next week. Am planning on doing this weekly if I can find the gas money, as I live in Lynnwood and American Lake is an hour south.

Just ordered a vhf radio and should have it by next week. I don't know anything about marine band, but my understanding is that channel 16 is the distress/greeting channel, then once contact is established you change to another channel. Is there a channel that is typically used for chatting?

I intentionally didn't include any personal details about my first trip, but let me assure you that you will be able to see how much it means to these guys and gals to have someone willing to do this for them. James was really excited that the state gave him a free fishing license, and was happy to get out on the water and use it. We also set him up for the next day when he wanted to go bank fishing there by showing him a nice place to set up.

Look forward to seeing you on the water. Will start with my vhf on channel 16 unless I hear different.

randy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts