My first attempt at beef jerky | Gamefishin.com

My first attempt at beef jerky

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by powder, Dec 28, 2011.

1. powder

powder Active Member

Well i got a dehydrator for christmas. It's Excalibur brand, 4 rack, variable temp, side load so you can pull one rack at a time. I threw some beef flank in some stubbs bbq sauce to marinate overnight and will be tossing it in the dehydrator tomorrow afternoon for a bit. Seems pretty straight forward. Cure, put in dehydrator for 4-6 hrs, pull out, consume, repeat. Any tips for this noobixcube?

2. Bigtrks

Bigtrks Member

I haven't used mine in yrs . But I used to take something like London broil or rump roast , put it in the freezer until it was firm and I could cut it really thin that way . Sence I'm to cheap to buy a electric slicer. As far as prep brown sugar . Garlic . Wircesherires boy I messed that spelling up black pepper I'm not a salt fan but I'd always put a little

3. Snoqualmiesteel

Snoqualmiesteel Active Member

No help here. But I love some good juicy steak. So wondering why i'd ever want to dehydrate it in the first place?

Now I LOVE beef jerky and eat it often. But for me to take my own steak and dehydrate it in HOPES that it turns out OK is just too risky :mrgreen:

I always thought of it like a roast... If you have a cut of meat that is just too tough and low quality to make into a good med\rare dish of some sort, then could make a pot roast (cook so long, it has no choice but to be tender...), jerky?, sausage?, etc.... :?:

4. Bigtrks

Bigtrks Member

Hmmm maybe to have better quality jerky! And it's a home lot easier make it with a lesser cut and u can spend hrs trimming fat

5. powder

powder Active Member

It's in the dehydrator till 7 ish tonight. I'll let you know how it turned out. In hind sight my new smoker would have worked just as good.

I wanted to start doing my own jerky basically because if you buy it, you get like 4 oz's for 8 bucks sometimes. The flank i bought was 6 bucks a pound. I love jerky and can eat a TON of it, so cost wise you can't really question the savings. I didn't buy a new york or top sirloin and go, "i'm not going to bbq this, so i'll make it into jerky." lol I bought the flank because i wanted to make jerky.

6. Moodyfisherman

Moodyfisherman Member

let us know how it worked out....My dehydrator just died 4 months ago so I am jones'in for some fresh jerky.
    Top round sliced thin and trimmed into 1" strips, soaked in Yoshida and soy and crushed red peppers overnight...mmmmmmmmmmm. Rotating racks through the nite .....I like to keep em a little moist not totally dried out....vacuum pack em and it last longer....sometimes :lol:
    I will have to try my Bradley on a batch...good idea.

7. powder

powder Active Member

It turned out ok for a first batch. Next time will be better. I left it in for 6 hours. Might try shorter time for next batch and different beef. Was thinking a teriyaki one. This one was a bit too bbq tasting for my liking. I know, soak it in bbq and expect it not to taste like bbq, I'm a smart one huh.

8. Motoboat

Motoboat Member

Just finished my very first batch by using the Big Chief smoker. 7 hours of smoke time with a 2xl insulated flannel shirt for a insulation blanket. Had to take the shirt partially off due to to much heat. Even doing the smoking outside, in the wind that has been lingering lately. Used teryaki, soy sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, hot peppers, minced onion, bell pepper, and wirchestire sauce.. Cut top round to 1/4" thick. Always loose 40 percent of beginning meat weight to moisture loss. Jerky was nothing to look at, ugly actually. But moist and super flavorful. I kept looking at the piece I was chewing on. Thinking, man this looks ugly, why does it taste so good. Not nearly as hot as I intended, considering the abundance of hot pepper in the recipe. The hot pepper's were roasted on the BBQ a few months back. Black skin peeled off and frozen for later use. These peppers were way hotter than I could have imagined. Had no idea gloves were recommended when handling these things. Just scraping the skin off after BBQing made my eye's water to the point I could not see anything. Eyes would water hours later if hands came anywhere near the face!!. Until now, it was strictly the dehydrator for jerky. I don't know if the smoky flavor of smoking jerky is more to my liking, But the taste and texture is pleasing. Just turn the light out when eating, so it can't be seen when consuming.

9. Steve Ericsson

Steve Ericsson Well-Known Member

We used to make beef jerky all the time when I was a kid, buy a roast and have it sliced thin at the butcher shop, cut it into strips and roll it in black pepper. Then take the trips and an upholstery needle and some heavy fishing line and string it all up so that it hangs. Then we had screw eyes on boards that would be stood up on either side of a spare bedroom and the strings of meat were hung to dry here for a few days. Delicious!!

My mom also used to take venison and cut it into strips, soak it in liquid smoke and put it in the oven on the lowest setting with the door slightly open all night, next morning JERKY TIME!!!

Ah, the good ol' days! Ya'll got me thinking about jerky again, might have to think about doing up a batch!! Tup:

10. powder

powder Active Member

What i really want to do is buy a grinder/sausage maker and do some beef sticks. Honestly jerky has never been my favorite but i love a pepperoni stick.

11. powder

powder Active Member

Round 2 is marinating. Went with original yoshidas, soy, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, a little hot sauce, lawry's garlic salt and montreal steak seasoning. I have an epic feeling about this batch. Went with top round this time.

[​IMG]

12. james56

james56 New Member

Even my dehydrator just died a month back and I got curious to know which best jerky brands are these days. The list there helped me a lot in making my decision but I think lot of brands listed out in that list isn’t available here in local market.