Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to head down to Argentina to meet some family for the first time. Since I was already there I decided I had to fish there world class trout streams.
I flew into Buenos Aires and was there for about a week before i got to doing any fishing. It was hard to make a decision on where it was exactly I wanted to fish because there was so much to target and so little time and money. For example, Up north you have Golden durado and massive catfish, Down south you have gaint sea run browns, To the east you have world class trout. I had to put all aspects into consideration ( cost of stay, how i would get around, river access etc.) I decided that heading to the east to Bariloche would be the best because i know how to find trout in rivers with a fly because i do it here and the rivers on the eastern part of the country are similar to ours.
I got to Bariloche around noon and spent the rest of the day trying to get some info on what were some decent rivers in the area. I soon started to realize that people did not like giving advice. Everyone was just trying to sell you a guide for walk in trips for about 400-500 bucks per day!!!! I was not going to pay that for something i could do on my own. I ended up going to the national parks office and picked up a map.
The first day i fished i decided to head to the Rio Limay. Access on this river was not very Fly fishing friendly due to deep waters and trees and such behind. I found a spot that was perfect. The first thing i saw when i walked up was a bunch of trout swimming around ( Only about 4 to 6 inchs) Right then i thought to myself that it was going to be a great trip. I spent about 6 hours on the water that day and did not manage one fish. I tried every fly you could think of. Floating lines and sinking lines. I think it being 104 degrees had something to do with the big skunkola though. I did see many trout that were 15-20lbs!!! flys would just cruz right by them with no reaction.
The second day i went out to try another river system. I decided to head to el Rio Manso. The river was beautifull and plenty of wading access. I fished the river up and down. I only managed to get a few hits but nothing to stick. Unlike Rio Limay i did not see fish in the water.
So I only managed two days of fishing Tdown: And no fish to hand. It was a great trip and i got to fish waters that were so clean and secluded ( something you dont get much of around here anymore) I will be back down there one day but I will make sure that I go when its not the middle of summer and make sure i have more time to fish. I cant upload the pics because i cant downsize them but Red should be on here to post them for me. Hope you guys enjoyed the read and pics.
Omar

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thanks for the awesome pictures Omar. That water is beautiful. Tup:

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic #1- This was looking down at rio limay from a hill. The area really reminded me of eastern washington.

Pic #2- This was just another look of the area I was fishing while hiking down.

Pic #3- Just getting the eyes on my rod all lined up .

PIc #4- From the pic you cant tell but the water behind me is about 30ft deep and the cliff that I was on was about a 50ft drop. Just goes to tell you how clear the water was since you can see the rocks on the bottom of the river.

Pic #5- This Is the upper section of the Rio Limay. It is a massive river.

Pic#6- This was looking down on a cliff about 300ft!!!!!! It was much more intense in person. I dont remember the name of the lake though ( They are all over, next time i will bring a float tube for sure)

Pic #7- these were the typical roads we were traveling on. I thought it was cool how the forest grows over the roads.

Pic #8- This picture was of Rio Manso. I just thought it was beautifull. I felt like I was fishing rivers that were never touched.

Pic #9- Another Rio Manso shot

Pic #10- Just me fishing in some nice weather while it was winter here Tup:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That is freakin awesome Omar. Did you get any to chase any spoons?

Awesome photographs that will help you remember that trip like it was yesterday.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sparky said:
That is freakin awesome Omar. Did you get any to chase any spoons?

Awesome photographs that will help you remember that trip like it was yesterday.
Nope just my bug rod. ( The rivers are fly fish only and they really enforce the regs over there)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
BigO-
Thanks for the pictures - they take me back more than 35 years ago.

While "bumming" around in South America I too ended up in Bariloche in March of 1971. Even then folks were looking to hook you up with a guide (but at a $100/day). The really large fish were where the river left the lake. While I was there it was too windy to even think about fly fishing there from the lake shore so focused on the rivers where shorter casts might get the job done; I had not fly fished in 2 years so wasn't going to miss the chance to wade some water and fling a fly. Spend a day on the Limary - it looks much the same today as it did then. Also fished the Traful and a couple tributary streams in the area. While the fishing was far from a slam dunk I did manage 30 or so fish in the 3 days including several rainbows over 5# and one 10# brown.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Omar that is a great report and awesome pics, but please put your shirt back on :lol: Just Kidding, those rivers look so peaceful and just to be there would be a treat in itself, great job Tup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts