Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't laugh. Alright, get it out of your system and laugh now, but I think I have "mouse elbow". I've had pretty bad tendonitis in my right elbow for awhile now, and was trying to figure out what was causing it. My normal work routine involves using hand tools a lot, and I spend about 2 hours a day messing around at the computer and do a lot of pointing and clicking. On a whim I did a Google search and found out that there is a syndrome called "Mouse Elbow", which is basically "Tennis Elbow" caused by using a mouse.

I know this is a pretty good set up for plenty of wise cracks and I welcome them, but I'm also seriously looking for a way to make the situation better. I've already had about 5 cortisone shots over the past 10 year, and they work for awhile but the pain always comes back eventually.

Anybody else have/had similar problems? I tried switching the mouse to my left hand and you know what they say about teaching old dogs new trick. So for now I'm just using an elbow band, and using a lot of ice. Any other ideas based on personal experiences?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Sorry about the bow man. You need to get a better story though :lol: Something like .."ive been reeling in all these steelhead and now my elbow is swollen" or "i hooked into a couple of 20lb blackmouths 4 days in a row" something along those lines. Sitting in front of a computer injuries just arnt as fun wink:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We've had ergonomics experts come to our workplace. They told me to raise my monitor and get a better mouse pad, get my elbow raised a bit. If you do anything over and over , in the wrong position, it could cause problems. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
I had really bad elbow pain. I wore an elbow band for about 6 months until the pain was gone.
The pain has not came back. I did not think those bands would help but I was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
It sounds like the bursa sack in you elbow is inflated. Try to rest your arm with a slight obtuse bend from full extension were your arm is naturally relaxed. If you over bend or over extend the bursa won't reduce. I had the same thing in both knees from the landscaping I would do around the house as a teenager. The doctor put me on Costico steriods for about a week, but it still took about a month to fully recover. My knees had got so bad it would take an hour to get out of bed.

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Mine was perpetuated by all the Bank fishing I did this year. First, I had to stop fishing because the pain in my forearm was so intense I couldn't even hold the rod in my right hand. After I quit fishing I noticed I could hardly control the clicker on the mouse.

As I write I'm in pain. What has helped me is to elevate my chair so my elbow is at an obtuse angle and place the mouse to the left of center in front of the keyboard as opposed to on the right side. This allows the arm to relax while clicking...I hope this helps and if you find a miracle cue let me know... Tup:

Good Luck.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Give your elbow a break. It's all in the wrist. Mousing around is not like playing the piano.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I agree with skorzeny. Increase the sensitivity of your mouse and just move your wrist around. It takes me a little less thn 1 inch of actual mouse movement to get from one side of the screen to the other. I've got one of those mousepads with the gel wrist pad. There's different shapes of thse pads, some that are like a dome and some that are like a saddle. I like the saddle type better because it makes my wrist go back to neutral. Really, its all about using your wrist by upping mouse sensitivity.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
HERE IS THE CURE, NOT JUST A "MAYBE IT WILL HELP!"

Traut, get a Waacom Pen Tablet. I had the same issue, small movements on the mouse made my hand ache like I couldn't believe, and was thinking I needed surgury as I could only work a couple hours. I started researching different things, braces, raising mouse pad, all that stuff. Then I found out about Waacom Pen Tablets on some sight that suggested them for carpel tunnel syndrome. Apparently just making smaller movements of the same repitition will do no good. The pen tablet changes the whole position of your hand and gives you a whole new range of motion. I bought one local, a Waacom Graphire and the first day I was pain free. It takes a day or two to get the hang of it, but I will never go back to a mouse. Even typing hurts once in awhile, but no more pain with a mouse. Call Waacom and talk to them and make sure you get the one that allows you to disable the pen tip if you wish. Otherwise, everytime you move your cursor across the screen it is constantly selecting or lassoing everything all the time with no way to stop it. Other than that, I have nothing but raves about it. If you do a lot of drawing, which I do for architecture, you will get the hang of it and be able to do so much more much faster than you could with a mouse. They also come with a mouse that you put on the tablet (wireless) in case you or someone else needs to use it.

Give one a try, you will be amazed and save yourself pain and suffering and lost time from surgery recovery. If you care to venture down to Tumwater, you can give mine a test drive.HERE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts