Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at a 26' Cruisers Inc 266 Vee-Sport Sunbridge boat that has twin 4 cly 170 hp Merc I/O's on it. The boat has less than 15 hrs on the port engine, the starboard engine has 900 hrs. The very fact that the starboard engine has lasted 900 hrs says that these engines will go the distance if maintained properly. Am I being nieve in my assessment of this motor?

Are these MerCruiser 470 4 cyl I/O's - Any good?

Thanks, Don

·
Registered
428 Posts
This was Mercury's attempt to break away from using engines supplied by auto manufacturers. They used a cylinder head from a Ford 460 V-8, and designed and manufactured their own block to bolt to it. They used some weird charging system that is unique to that motor, I think it was a magneto on the front of the blocks, someone used to make a kit to retrofit a regular alternator to it. I think they made them for about nine years, then went back to using GM / Ford blocks, that may say something. I've never owned one, but my bother had a boat with twin 470's, and he was usually able to get home by robbing parts off of one to make one runnning engine out of the two of them.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Not bad motors. Lots of torque, but won't idle well at trolling speeds. Make sure that they are freshwater cooled as theres a lot of dissimilar metals.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Djones, Call me and I will tell you all about Merc 470s I used to work in a boat shop and saw alot of them. Tom @ 253-377-2619

1 - 4 of 4 Posts