Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a little trip to below McNary Dam on the Big C from 6/27 to 6/29. Fished mostly from Irrigon to just below the hatchery on the Oregon side. First day went over the Umatilla Bridge and the amount of water going over was incredible. I fish these waters a LOT and have never seen that amount of water going over the dam. The green can below the bridge was almost horizontal because of the flow.

First day boat control speed was just about 3 mph (gps). The following two days with reduced flow we averaged about1.6-2 mph for boat control. Bottom-walkers with chartreuse worm harnesses, smile blades, and garlic crawfish scent were what caught us fish. Usually use 1 1/2 oz. bottom-bouncers, had to go heavier to 2 and even 3 oz. -walkers at times. Got a really nice 'eye about 2 minutes after getting on the water the first day. Thought that would mean we were going to tear them up, but nooooo. Caught a total of 6 walleye and 5 smallmouth over the 3 days. Not good numbers, but the fish were really nice. The water is still very stained. The Sheriff that inspected my boat the second day said that Canada has a huge amount of runoff this year, causing the dark water. He gave me a purty sticker for the back of my boat. Fished mostly the Oregon side, but did make a few passes through Patterson Point and picked up a couple of fish. Talked to some folks who fished Boulder Alley and they got nada. Up close to the dam was too wild to even consider fishing there.

Met some really nice folks from Idaho who were going to fish for about a week there. Gave them some heavier bottom-bouncers than they had and some crawfish juice. Hope they do well. Nice folks.

Anyway, that's about it. Per pound cost for these fish never works out, but let me tell you, sitting down to eat these fish makes the cost OK!!!!! I drive an Alumaweld Super Vee and always fly the American flag, often with wounded vets on board. If you see me, stop and say "hey".

Pics from top to bottom. 1. My boat 2. Day 3. 3. Day 2 4. Day 1.

randy

Attachments

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Thank you for that nice report.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Right on! Looks like you guys had a blast! Tup:

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts