Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got this new saltwater aquarium. I know a few of you guys have one or had one. I have an external pump, GenX PCX70HP (LINK) with a Nu-Clear filter and a Nu-Clear Bio filter. Any advice on the pump? Mine seems kind of loud. Its not unbearable, but it is definitely noticable. Any suggestions on a quiter external pump? I've heard the Japanese Iwaki's were pretty silent. Any wisdom?

Some a pic. No pics of the fish, unfortuantely. They move too much!

Its a 125 gal, swim tank with about 120lbs of live rock. Currently has 2 3-stripe damsels, 1 4-strip damsel, 1 coral hawkfish, 1 red banded goatfish, 3 Coral Hermit crabs (D Tinctor) about 4 inch shell length and 1 C vittatus hermit crab, about the same length.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Nice work. I aborted mine years ago when I realized I wasnt near patient enough for a salt water aquarium. Those that are usually turn out spectacular. Tup:

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
They all seem noisy to me at some point. What are your plans for the tank?

ReefFrontiers.com is one of the best reef'n sites out there. Reef Central is another good one but very very large, millions of members. Join or read, and learn as much as you can about water chemistry. Good water chemistry is the key to success IMHO but there is plethora ingredients for complete success and it all hinges on how the system is set up. Reefs not only need excellent water quality they need good quality lighting. Depending on the species of coral lps or sps you may want to consider Metal Halide. Wattage, intensity, ans spectrum will vary depending on species. Flow is another huge factor for the reef. There are three types of flow, Surge, Random Turbulent, and Laminar. Your species will determine the flow best suited for them. I could go on forever on this subject....

If you're keeping just FOWLR (fish only with live rock) light is not a factor, flow is not much of a factor, water quality is not as much a factor either as compared to the reef because fish can in survive/live excess of .40PPM Nitrate where some corals need or should have zero...

When you have questions feel free to ask... Tup:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its going to be a FOWLR. I didn't want to go full out with a reff tank, spend a lot of money, get burned out, and lose it all. I've got plans for some messy eaters, so I decided to upgrade the filter system.

Currently, I've got an Eheim Pro3e 2078, 18watt Corallife UV Sterilizer, an Aqua-C hang on back protein skimmer, and UGF's for the filtration with about 100lbs of LR. I'm adding in the Nu-Clear canister filters and probably going to take out the UGF's. I'd like good flow to try and keep particulates suspended longer so they have a better chance of being sucked up. Really, I'm just looking for recommendations on a quiet pump. What do you use FF?

I'm going to see how well this goes, then maybe next year, I'll grab a smaller tank for a reef. I just couldn't justify spending 2x or more on a starter tank.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Heres a picture of my 95G wave front. Currently have 20G sump, corallife superskimmer, 2x150w metal halide and 2x130w actinic. I have sps, lps corals in mine as well. The pump I use is an odysey 900G. Its really quite, but thinking up upgrading to a 1200GPH pump just for circulation/flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
madcapmag said:
Its going to be a FOWLR. I didn't want to go full out with a reff tank, spend a lot of money, get burned out, and lose it all. I've got plans for some messy eaters, so I decided to upgrade the filter system.

Currently, I've got an Eheim Pro3e 2078, 18watt Corallife UV Sterilizer, an Aqua-C hang on back protein skimmer, and UGF's for the filtration with about 100lbs of LR. I'm adding in the Nu-Clear canister filters and probably going to take out the UGF's. I'd like good flow to try and keep particulates suspended longer so they have a better chance of being sucked up. Really, I'm just looking for recommendations on a quiet pump. What do you use FF?

I'm going to see how well this goes, then maybe next year, I'll grab a smaller tank for a reef. I just couldn't justify spending 2x or more on a starter tank.
Good move. Make sure you're serious before spending all the dough. Tup:

Your current filtration should be fine for FOWLR. UV and canisters are fine also. Right now I'm using Quiet1. They're fairly quiet :mrgreen:, have lasted 3+ years so far and are small enough to fit my current setup nicely...I did notice some HA growing, particularly on three rocks. You'll want to get that rock outta there and kill it /cure the rock before it takes over. That stuff feeds on excess nutrients so you may want to address that...Tup:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Thanks fishnfoolz.

Madcapmag, fishn is right. The green hair algae you will want to get rid of quickly. It can consume a tank real quick, and kill alot of needed nutrient for your rock. If you dont want to take the rock out. Get a foxface or another fish that will eat that type of algae. hermit crabs will eat it as well. I would just take the rock out to kill the HA. Then re-cure your rock. Good luck. Marine aquariums are alot of fun and time consuming. When Im not fishing or hunting, Im messing with my tank. Let us know if you need any further help. Tup:

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help guys! Here I thought HA was an OK thing. I've got large hermits and planning on getting a yellow tang. I'm hoping those will start to control the algae. If not, I'll definitely take out the rocks and recure them. The big one in the middle is the favorite of a few, so they'll miss it, I'm sure, but if its for the better....

I've been thinking about getting rid of the UGF's too, so might be a good idea to do it when the big rock comes out.

Beautiful tank trapper! Nice colors! What, no whitefish in there? wink:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
No white fish, do have a lawnmower blenny that looks alot like a ling cod. So when ling season comes, and I get skunked I just throw a snoopy rod in the tank. :D

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
The only way to completely rid the tank of HA is to eliminate the source of it's food...In other words. Starve it out. Over feeding, over stocking, tap water, are all ways to create a Phosphate rich environment. A fish to remove HA is hit or miss. Some might go at it and others may not. There are several methods to remove the stuff. First of all get the infested rocks out of the tank, scrub the rock in salt water to remove the HA and then "cook" the rock (leave it a barrel or container of salt water with heat and NO light for a period of about 60-120 days). In the mean time work on improving water quality to starve it out and get a clean up crew. Hermits, snails etc that way they can be beneficial after the HA is under control without increasing the tanks bio load from an extra fish... Tup:

You're right Trapper...My Blenny does look like a ling.. :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts