Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have seen this on other forums and past it by. Now is the time to take a moment and help get what we all want MORE TIME OUT FISHING! On January 12th there is a meeting about the commercial and sport fishing seasons on the Columbia River in Olympia. We all need to get involved the best way to do this is to write or email, and let the powers that be know that we are an important part of their decision. Please click on the link below to get more info and to view a sample letter that you can use as a template for your own.
Click here !!!http://www.3riversmarine.com/support_your_sport Click here !!!

·
Registered
869 Posts
ON IT!!
BE HEARD or Be Herded, the choice is YOURS!

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Sent to Governor Gregoire and the 3 Legislators Tup: If they got thousands of these, maybe they'd notice....it only takes a few minutes...

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Is no one posting that they sent one or is no one sending or caring?

·
Registered
788 Posts
my computer won't let me open the email( john doe letter) to the govener.....can someone post a copy to cut and paste...

Thanks

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Write the Governor todayâ€"In the subject line, put: I SPORT FISH AND I VOTE! If you don’t tell her there is a problem, she won’t know! Be polite, be short and be accurate! All the highlighted text should be either changed to fit you more personally or deleted before you send it. You will have to copy and paste your completed letter into the contact portion of the Governors web site listed below.

Gov. Chris Gregoire http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp cc: E-mail to Your Legislator in Olympia, your Senator and both Representatives http://dfind.leg.wa.gov/dfinder.cfm and cc: the Fish and Wildlife Commission [email protected]

Honorable Gov. Gregoire,

My name is xxxxxxxxxxxxxI live in Washington, and thoroughly enjoy fishing in our state, My family and I enjoy fishing and would like to continue to do so. I am writing because this is an emergency! License sales are dramatically down, sport fishing jobs are being lost, not only do our fish, Sportsmen, and the sport fishing industry need your help! In order to turn things around, the sport fishery needs your support and backing to stay open in the Columbia into May.

1) Conservation: We cannot gillnet our way to recovery: 1) Bycatch (Wild and hatchery Steelhead & Sturgeon), 2) Front loaded fisheries 3) Rising river temperatures will increase gillnetters already high release mortalities. 4) Sport fishing removes 3 times as many hatchery fish from the spawning beds for the same wild fish protection as gillnets do (Because of selective sport fishing, our release mortality is 10%, Gillnet release mortalities are 40%)

2) Equity: or fairness. The current distribution is not right. The current plan does not provide any benefit to Washington State Sportsmen; less than seventy Washington commercial fishermen receive up to 50% of the allocation of which they at times take more. While tens of thousands of sport fishermen get what is left. More often than not fisheries are opened to the commercial fleet first, only after they have caught a given percent of their share does the Sportsmen have a opportunity.

3) Economics: By closing down sport fisheries to conduct gillnet fisheries, not only are we hampering recovery, we are losing millions in economic benefits and jobs to the state of Washington.

We have a vision:
The gillnetters can continue to fish, and remain as an important harvest tool, by fishing selectively in the terminal fishing areas. We need to expand selective sport fisheries, as well as expand select area terminal gillnet fisheries! By doing this we can all get what we want and our local economies need.
More time with our fishing gear in the water!

The recent so called solutions have been of the all or nothing approach and that does not work. We need a commission that we look at the facts and see that Sportsmen pour millions of dollars a year into our states recreational fisheries, and the local economies around them, this cannot be over looked.

I understand and am thankful that the Commission in Washington IS conservation oriented, but as the old saying says “It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.� Fish in particular the Salmon and Steelhead can no longer afford being held hostage to 60 year old management plans. There are now more Sportsmen that travel further and invest far more dollars in their passion of fishing than in the past years. The Commission needs to recognize that Sportsmen as a group are large and are extremely influential in the economy of Washington State.

Governor Gregoire, thank you for taking the time to hear my concerns. You have often stated that sport fishing is our heritage as well as a past time that you yourself have enjoyed, and an economic engine for our state. Both are in trouble and need your attention right now! I will be happy to find answers to any questions you may have.

Thank You for your continued help and support,

name
address/c.jpg[/img]

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I received this response from one of my Legislators, Mark Miloscia

"Hi Rory,

If there are specific votes or bills coming up on this issue in Olympia,
please keep me informed.

Thanks for writing.

Mark"

So, does this mean he is totally unaware of the meeting on the 12th?? Seems so...

Here is my response to him....

Mark,
Thanks for replying.

On January 12th there is a meeting about the commercial and sport fishing seasons on the Columbia River in Olympia. The sport fishermen, 641,000 of them, would like to get a fair deal in this meeting.

According to "The Reel News" January 2008 (from information in the link below), Washington Sportsmen invest $1.4 Billion dollars a year in manufacturing, jobs and retail, generating $123 Million in state and local taxes, and support more jobs in Washington than Boeing and Washington State University combined, yet seem to get the leftover's in the fish allocations.

Here is a link to a new report (only 2 pages) that shows the economic impact of the Washington States Sportsmen.
http://www.nssf.org/07report/factsheets ... 9665602233

Your help will be appreciated.

-Rory Diessner

·
Registered
53 Posts
On January 12th there is a meeting about the commercial and sport fishing seasons on the Columbia River in Olympia. The sport fishermen, 641,000 of them, would like to get a fair deal in this meeting.
Who is going to be at this meeting? I ask this because the Commission is meeting in Vancouver the 10th through the 12th with public comment on the allocation process on Saturday the 12th.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/com/jan1208.htm

For those interested in the spring/summer chinook salmon allocations here are 2 pieces of info. Remember to sign up and testify for item 12 on saturday.

NOTE: From 12-4:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 10, 2008, at the Red Lion Hotelâ€"Vancouver, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission will meet with the Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission to discuss issues of mutual interest, followed by a reception. The meeting and reception are open to the public; however, no public input will be accepted

SATURDAY, JANUARY 12 8:00 AM
11. OPEN PUBLIC INPUT
The Commission is a direct link between citizens of Washington and the Department of Fish and Wildlife. Comments on Department programs and topics of concern are welcome during this portion of the meeting. (NOTE: The public is encouraged to comment only on those issues not on this agenda.)
12. COLUMBIA RIVER SPRING & SUMMER CHINOOK ALLOCATION POLICIES â€" BRIEFING & PUBLIC HEARING:
Department staff will brief the Commission on the current Commission policies C-3615 and C-3616, which will expire on December 31, 2007. The Commission will consider the approval of new policies at its February 1-2, 2008, Commission meeting in Olympia. Staff Report:
Cindy LeFleur, Columbia River Policy Coordinator, IRM; and

Heather Bartlett, Fish Management Division Manager, Fish Program

PUBLIC INPUT (Above item only)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Oregon they recived 94 letters form less than 200 Commercial fisherman and only 72 letters from Sportsmen, lets show that we care and that we do have a voice in washington. Make 2008 the year that the Washington Sportsman is heard! No more thinking about it or putting it off untill latter NOW is the time to act and make the Sportsmen head!

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Letter sent Tup:
All I got back was ...

"Thank you for contacting Governor Christine Gregoire. The Governor values your views and opinions. We want to assure you that the Governor's Office reads these messages and, when appropriate, refers them to relevant agencies, staff, or the Governor herself. Because of the volume of e-mail we receive daily, however, we are unable to respond to every message. Thank you again for contacting the Governor"

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Here is the 2nd response from one of my Legislators...

"OK Rory, let me know if anything develops from this meeting involving bills or other legislative action. Mark "

His reply infers that he can or will do nothing until a bill or legislative action is done? Why send these types of letters to them then??

·
Registered
227 Posts
Doing nothing is doing nothing. Sent letter's to Gov. K, Sen. Kauffman, Rep. Simpson, and Rep. Sullivan. I expect nothing in return. I've done more this year to help than last year all ready. -OMK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts