Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to purchase a DR for Kokanee/Trout fishing this year. I was wondering what size main line you run with your DR set up? I have always used 6# but I was trolling with lead will this come out of the clip OK or could it snap? One more thing what size DR ball do you run 4# or 6#? Most of the lakes I fish run about 70" deep and I usually run a 4/0 dodger with some type of lure behind that.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
6lb test should be fine as long as you use the right DR clips. Don't try using a salmon sized clip,make sure its a Koke/trout size and you'll be fine.

As far as the DR ball goes,I'd run as big as practical. The closer to vertical you can keep the cable,the more accurate the placement of the lure will be.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I run 8# line on my Koke rods and use 6 pounders on the riggers. Trolling between .8 to 1.2 mph, a 6# ball keeps you pretty vertical, even with >75' of wire out. I have a couple of Scotty 1050's I picked up just for Kokes and the 6# weights are easier to crank up too. Tup:

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
MAD.CAM.AL said:
I run 8# line on my Koke rods and use 6 pounders on the riggers. Trolling between .8 to 1.2 mph, a 6# ball keeps you pretty vertical, even with >75' of wire out. I have a couple of Scotty 1050's I picked up just for Kokes and the 6# weights are easier to crank up too. Tup:
This is wisdom!

I also run 8# line on my koke rods. However, I use 11 lb or 13 lb pancake weights on my downriggers. I want them to be as vertical as possible and with Scotty electrics I don't worry about having to hand crank the heavier weight up.

If this is your first downrigger then I would go with a manual Scotty. That way when you switch to electrics you'll truly appreciate the luxury of having automatic retrieve.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I run a 6# ball on the manual "rigger" and an 8# on the electric.

I use level-wind reels and typically use 10# line. The slighly heavier line gives a litte more margin for error when the fish rolls up in the gear or it gets tangled in the downrigger wire and I don't think it has hurt me in the catching department.

Sounds like as with most of the variables in the kokanee game there are more than one approach that will successfully put fish in the ice chest.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Looks like I will go with 8# line and a 6# ball.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts