Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided last night to take the boat out today since it hadn't been run in a month. So I launched at 9:30 and headed up to Pt Defiance and ran over to just east of the Slag Pile and dropped a line. I trolled from the Slag Pile all the way to the Pt and didn't see any bait and had no action at all. There were a few boats out, probably a dozen or so, and no action on any of them either. Upon reaching the Pt I turned North and trolled out to the flats area between the PT, Gig Harbor and Dalco. I was running a 4" Tomic glow plug with a green back and all of a sudden my pole tip really jerked toward the water and them popped free of the down rigger. This blackmouth put on one of the better air shows that I have seen in quite a while. He jumped 4 times, made 3 runs and just would not come to the boat. I finally got him into the net and on board. According to my digital scale he was 8.5 pounds and a beautiful chrome and purple color. I was in 170 feet of water with 185 feet of cable out and running with the tide so I was within 10 feet or so of the bottom when he hit. It was also perfect timing as I wanted to be back to the dock by noon and I boated him at 11:45am. Weather and water were both beautiful, however, the weather started to deteriorate around 12:30pm and the wind was picking up so it was a good time to come in.

He is now living in a garbage can full of salt water and being fed a couple of times a day in anticipation of the Gamefishin Derby in 2 weeks. Hopefully he lives that long. :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Nice! Tup:

Awesome report, I need to get out there for some derby pre-fishin' :D

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That fish might have put you into some money if you would have just waited. Tup:
I'm thinking there might be a congregation of boats with 185' of cable in 170' of water on the flats in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Nice fish, that is a chromer, look at the size of the tail Tup: Tup: clap:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hey, stay out of MA-11, you are a MA-13 guy! You can't come up here and catch all of our "big" fish. I'll give you this one, but you have used one of your two MA-11 passes, so now you'll have to wait until the derby to use your other one.

Seriously though, nice fish and it seems the fish may be trickling back into the area!!!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Nice fish DB! I always look forward to reading your reports. Hopefully you can find his twin for the derby!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, stay out of MA-11, you are a MA-13 guy! You can't come up here and catch all of our "big" fish. I'll give you this one, but you have used one of your two MA-11 passes, so now you'll have to wait until the derby to use your other one.
Seasport, once you sell your boat I will have ALL the fish in 11 and 13 to myself. My boat is heavier than Commander X's, I can give him the NASCAR rub coming around the corner at the Point. Tup:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Damn DB, I'll bet you are loading up on the Geritol tonight for the arms and back after all that work, huh. wink:

Very nice.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red, when I see you at the derby, and being the guy using a walker will give you away, I'm gonna push you in . Better put the water proof batteries in your Hover Round. :D

Thought I was gonna need a defibulator after cranking the boat up on the trailer today. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nice fish & great report. Will be out there Sunday.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nice meeting you tonight DB, and nice Blackie, when you mentioned how nice it was out there today, I must have missed that you caught one :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts