Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MA13 report is as follows: There was nothing to report, just 1- 20 inch shaker and my nephew broke the end off of my new Buzz Ramsey pole. Lots of sea loins in front of Wollochet Bay probably due to the Orcas in Commencement Bay. Beautiful morning on the water but we couldn't find any bait in the area. We looked at Wollochet and back on the west side of Fox Island around to Green Point. Saw several boats that I recognize from Pt Defiance but no nets flying. Nice day on the water just no action.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So what is the hot ticket down there? That is, when fish are being caught...more mooching or trolling?

Sucks you didn't get a keeper, but at least you weren't working...

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always troll with the downriggers because the only way I know how to catch blackmouth is to cover lots of water if there isn't much bait in the area. IMO there isn't a real hot spot for Blackmouth in area 13 like the Pt Defiance area in MA11. When fishing area 13 I like to start with Pt Fosdick which is the point just below the end of the runway for the Tacoma Narrows airport. Then I start working towards Wollochet Bay which is due west of Pt Evans. If there isn't anything going on at either of those two spots, then I will move to Green Point and the NW corner of Fox Island which is about a mile west. This area has a "bowl" shaped area that can hold some fish and bait. I also like working the east side of Fox Island from just north of the fishing pier all the way around the southern tip of the island. Finally, one other spot I sometimes look at is right out front of Day Island. There is a rip there that can hold some fish from time to time. Another area that I hear about once in a while is Oro Bay down at Anderson Island. I have never actually fished it but I hear that sometimes it is just full of bait. Seasport, if you want to get together one day and fish 13, I would be happy to share my very limited knowledge of the area. Catfisher spends some time down there as well. The one thing I do like about area 13 is that it doesn't get as crowded as the Pt does and the water typically is a lot smoother too because there isn't as much large boat traffic.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the report. Think we saw you out there today DB. A boat like yours was cruising down Hale Passage toward Green Pt sometime in the morning. Anyway, we were lucky enough to get into some fish out from Wollochet actually closer to Fox Island than the mainland. We kept a fat 23 incher with a herring in it's belly. Lost a 6-8 lber near the boat (incredibly maddening). Had another good one on but it came unbuttoned quickly and lastly we lost a 21-22 incher also up near the boat. Not a very good batting average today but the action we had kept us interested. The fish came from mid Wollochet to the cable crossing in 60-90 ft of water. All fish came on hootchies (purple haze and 742). We also fished up through the spit and Green around and just after the tide change, but nothing going there. Lars

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey DB and Lars, lots of bait in front of chambers, been watching all the action from the house. The herring are spawning here right now, even seals all the way to the dam on chambers in the lagoon. Probably eating the blackmouth that are feeding on sand lance and herring. My boat is put away for a couple more months so good luck to all if you go out there.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info Fishinmike. That is the thing in MA 13, you have to cover a lot of water to find bait and it really moves around.

Lars I thought I saw your boat in the channel between the mainland and Fox Island too. I think you guys were closer to Fox Island when I went through. I was surprised to not find much bait in Wollochet as this time of year that is a good spawning area and the bait is often very thick in there. Glad you guys saw some action.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Great reports, bummer about your rod DB. If you ever make a run down to Oro Bay start at the mouth and work South down to Lyle Point. It's a gas guzzling run and can be frustrating if no fish are around. Lar's glad to hear you got a keeper. I will call you next week. Wollochet Bay should heat up in the next month.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The southern end of Ketron Island from the barrel marker at the south end up north along the island about halfway up the island in about in 140 t0 160 feet of water about 100 to 200 yards off shore and along the east side of Ketron is very good usually and just troll with the tide either way. Just an idea I thought I would throw out there to all the blackmouth masters. I always pick up and start over after I stop marking fish and bait. Sometimes its a lot of work and fuel, while doing the short trolling paths in the fish and bait, but well worth putting out the effort.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the tip Red. I was down there a month and a half ago for the first time and found a lot of bait out by the marker you talk about. Found some shakers then, but didn't spend much time there. Also I didn't fish up the Island like you suggest. Something to try next time. Lars

·
Premium Member
6,601 Posts
Another good area to fish is in front of the Steilacoom ferry dock. I picked up two blackmouth from there this summer. Both fish had chips in their heads.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Easy Limits said:
Another good area to fish is in front of the Steilacoom ferry dock. I picked up two blackmouth from there this summer. Both fish had chips in their heads.
That is a good spot Tup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.