Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new turntable for X-mas, so I pulled out the old LP's last night. I hadn't listned to vinyl in 15-20 years, and they sound GREAT! I'll venture to say they sound better than most CD's. And for the most part the "crackle" can only be heard between the tracks. Anyone else like to listen on vinyl?

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Where did you find a "new" turntable? I didn't know they still made them.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Caught the LP flag. I can't believe that there are others knee deep in nostalgia. I have about 6 ft of vinyl and I have been transcribing them to TDK Sa90 tapes. They do sound good. Alhough a couple have warped just enough my Denon Phono doesn't want to play them at an gram of stylus pressure. So I gave them 3 grams and it works.
I believe Sony also makes a turntable. I have an old Dual 1219 and a 1264 that I have retired. I really miss them cause they will play 78s too. Need to do a little maintenance and get that capability back. In my spare time.
Happy New Year!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
One of my friends is really into LP's. I made fun of him for being old, until I listened to it. Amazing! Sounds are blended and rounded compared to a CD.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy Limits said:
Guitar Center. The new generation have USB interfaces for recording LP's onto a computer.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Fluffhead said:
Easy Limits said:
Guitar Center. The new generation have USB interfaces for recording LP's onto a computer.
It's only a matter of time before I'm spinnin' vinyl on one of those new USB turntables. :geek:

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Fluffhead said:
Easy Limits said:
Cool. :cool:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
DeeDee got me one last year from costco ($100). It did have the usb port, which I transfered all records to CD's. Even cleaned them up a bit with the Adacity software that came with it. Now I'm loaning it out to my buddies so they can do the same. I probably won't see the turntable for a few more years. lol

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ontheedge said:
I love to pull the lps out and listen to them also. Fluffhead when you burnt them to a cd did you lose any sound qaulity?
I haven't done any burning yet.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I use to have tons of vinyl, so much I could fill the floor of an entire bedroom floor with crates of vinyl. That was when I worked in radio and would receive several free records from the Labels every week. What kind of turntable did you get? I'm hearing that they've made a laser turntable for reading the vinyl grooves without the pop. I don't know how dynamic the laser is, but I guess it works really well from what I've heard.

Remember, when it comes to turntables you can get better performance in may cases by upgrading the cartridge and needle. Fine tuning the tone arm will give better performance and will insure longer vinyl life.

I'm a DVD audio guy now. I think many of these recordings sound better than vinyl (depends on how well it was mastered and tracked). You can get up to 48khz of clean audio bandwidth from those 96kHz discs.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Interesting deck you bought there. It appears to be a belt drive DJ mixer deck. The USB feature is pretty cool. Some of the other keys I can give you for better sound is to isolate the deck by decoupling it from sound resonance created from the speakers. You can decouple the speakers as well by using speaker stand or speaker spikes. You should hear a small difference, but every small difference adds up in the world of audio. Numark has many products out there to upgrade the turntable. I usually start with a good cartridge ($150+) for that style of deck and a good medium tension needle (too hard will eat your vinyl, too soft will drop db). Be sure to inspect and remove the dust from you needle every so often and change the felt like you would with an air filter since it will tend to slip the vinyl after dirt and dust collects. You can also adjust you tone arm height, but I find the reference level to work best. This feature is mainly adjusted if you buy an aggressive slop cartridge.

Keep on rock Tup:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I love LPs I still have about 30 of them (remember I am 30) but dad has a couple thousand. Nothing better than throwing an old Van Halen, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, etc... LP on and taking a trip down memory lane. My favorite is my Beastie Boys LP Licenced to Ill

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big Worm said:
Interesting deck you bought there. It appears to be a belt drive DJ mixer deck. The USB feature is pretty cool. Some of the other keys I can give you for better sound is to isolate the deck by decoupling it from sound resonance created from the speakers. You can decouple the speakers as well by using speaker stand or speaker spikes. You should hear a small difference, but every small difference adds up in the world of audio. Numark has many products out there to upgrade the turntable. I usually start with a good cartridge ($150+) for that style of deck and a good medium tension needle (too hard will eat your vinyl, too soft will drop db). Be sure to inspect and remove the dust from you needle every so often and change the felt like you would with an air filter since it will tend to slip the vinyl after dirt and dust collects. You can also adjust you tone arm height, but I find the reference level to work best. This feature is mainly adjusted if you buy an aggressive slop cartridge.

Keep on rock Tup:
Good tips there. I have always had my speakers isolated on stands. My speakers are RogerSound Labs studio monitors. Very flat frequency response, they don't color the sound at all, at least not that I can perceive. I use them for mixing and mastering original recordings as well. They are honest, reliable speakers. The deck is on top of a seperate cabinet a few feet away from either speaker.

What is a good way to clean the needle? Before I stage a disc, I run a swiffer duster over the vinyl. If they're dirty I'll use a solution of distilled water and alcohol.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cole-ville said:
Now my question to all is .Does anyone sell needles for the older Pioneer turntables anymore and if so where?
There are many online vendors. Just do a search for "turntable cartridge" and you'll get a bunch.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Fluffhead said:
Big Worm said:

Keep on rock Tup:
Good tips there. I have always had my speakers isolated on stands. My speakers are RogerSound Labs studio monitors. Very flat frequency response, they don't color the sound at all, at least not that I can perceive. I use them for mixing and mastering original recordings as well. They are honest, reliable speakers. The deck is on top of a seperate cabinet a few feet away from either speaker.

What is a good way to clean the needle? Before I stage a disc, I run a swiffer duster over the vinyl. If they're dirty I'll use a solution of distilled water and alcohol.
I usually just use my fingers to clear the needle of dust by pinching it gently. Your fingers will glide over the sides of the needle and you may not even touch it.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
old crow said:
i have a old cabinet sterio that some body can have--it's been out in yhe grarge for years --worked when we put it there
ummm, I really don't like to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'd like to know the brand and model number if you could.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts