Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18' center console and have a Humminbird 383c GPS/fishfinder combo. It is a great little unit but I find that it cannot find the bottom at any speed beyond a slow troll and whenever I arrive at a new location I need to turn the unit off, many times more than once before it finds the bottom again. Anything over 200' in the salt and it doesn't really work much at all. Has anyone had these same troubles? I have the transducer mounted on the transom on the right side of the motor looking at the boat from behind so it shouldn't be a prop wash issue. I am now looking at possibly getting a Lowrance 527. Slightly larger screen and better resolution but I am wonderng if the transducer is any better or if I will have the same problems finding bottom in the salt. Any suggestions? Does anyone have the Lowrance that can give some pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
200,908 Posts
Have you tried to adjust the sensitivity?
Personally I switched from Hbird to lowrance, not the same unit that you have though, and I will never go back to Hbird.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
That unit has plenty of power. If you have access to a single thickness hull anywhere you might try shooting through the hull. If you have a spot to try this, you can take your transducer and bed it into something like vaseline, to make sure there are no air bubbles. Might solve your problem.

I have a lowrance 337CDF, bedded to shoot through the hull, and it tracks bottom (but not fish) at 20 knots, and loses bottom around 600 feet or so.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you haven't already. Go to humminbird.com and register your unit. Then check and see if they have any software updates for it. I updated my model and it made a big difference. I was experiencing the same symptoms that you are. High speed sucked. It would always read 9.5' for some stupid reason. Since I did the update it is night and day. You have to buy a pc cord for it to download new software. Got mine off ebay for a decent price.

Hope that helps

Kris

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just bought a Furuno FCV 620 and am about to install it on my boat. Just playing with the demo modes on the bench and so far I like the features. If you look at East coast boards like The Hull Truth, you'll see a lot of praise for Furuno products. The great part is that they have their customer service center in Camas I believe and their support is outstanding from what I have read. I'm just tired of seeing my buddies Lowrance units bite the big one and then they have to pay big bucks to get them repaired or be stuck on infinite hold while dealing with tech. support.
More later once the unit is on the boat.
Beeeeee

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yep, you can spend the extra $$$ upfront to get a great fish finder that will most likely give you years and years of trouble free service and no headaches, or save some $$$ now for those cheaper brands and deal with sending them in for service, sometimes multiple times, then replace it in 3 years when you get tired of it.
Same Furuno FF in my Ak. boat since 1998, used 10 hours a day, everyday, all summer long and still going strong :mrgreen: .

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check to see if your beam is set to 60°. That would affect your ability to ping back in deeper water

1 - 8 of 8 Posts