Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the site.great site by the way.can anyone point me to a good sturgeon guide for me and my father? we want to learn how its done as we already have a 19' harbor craft .we want to learn how to fish for them and useing the anchor system on the columbia. thanks alot

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
About 4 years ago me and some buddies of mine went with Tall Tales Guide service for keepers.Kept us into fish all day and ended up limiting the boat with keepers.Deffinetly would go with him again,a real good guy.I think his name was Dave

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I'm not sure the best time for keeper sized sturgeon,but I think the best time for oversized is near the shad run. Peak of the shad run tends to be late May or early June. When the shad are in thick, they are blast to fish for on light gear. Nothing like catchin a small fish to use as bait to catch a big fish!!

I think your are doing the right thing by going out with a guide first before hitting the Columbia. It's nice to figure out how to safely anchor and fish that water. There is a good video out by Eric Linde and anchoring. It would be worth watching. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I go every year with George Rose out of Neilton, WA. on the Columbia River. We wack the crap out of them! Been going with him for about 10 years now. I've got a few pictures if you are interested.

If you are interested I'll send you his info. as he doesn't do the PC thing. I've got a weekend booked with him this June with a group of buddies but not sure of the date yet.

He will have a brand new Willie Raptor this season and it will a dandy boat. Open boat that will leave you with all kinds of room fighting them Gators.

oldguy

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
You might also want to contact the Professor on this site too!!! Check out my sigtature for a link to his site and tell him I sent you..... Tup:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Best time for keepers is late spring/early summer down in the estuary. I haven't done the guide thing, just went with some friends who learned me the ropes with anchoring. The video netboy talked about is a good way to learn as well, then practice in areas away from people for the first few times, and never tie off to the back of your boat when pulling anchor.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you are after keepers in the Lower River be there in Late MAY and all through JUNE right up till they close it. You are right to think about a guide for the first trip. Each end of the river has its own problems. The lower river is sand bars, the area up at the dam is the current and swifter water. Not to mention the fish are night and day different. Lower river is keepers and a few oversize, not much reason to break off anchor. Over size fish at the dam requires a lot more boat skills and chasing the fish down. My vote for the lower river is either George Rose or Tuby Muck (Sidewinder Charters) both are top of the line. For the up river oversize fish, hands down Dave Haak "Tall Tails Guide Service".

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sturgeon Frank, has a great 26' North River, great springer guide as well.

Matt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Jim Stahl is the guide we go with. He is very helpful and great at showing you how to do it. We went with him to learn about Springers on the Columbia and the river anchor system. We go back year after year now on our own and love it. We are doing the sturgeon thing with Jim on the lower Columbia this June. We have fished higher up the mainline for sturgeon in the past but want to learn some where new.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went with Eric Linde. He includes snacks and a HOT lunch in the boat! Also free pop, water and PBR! Lots of fun, big north river with satalite radio. I've been with a few other guides and he is my favorite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts