Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never really shelled out the cash for a spinning reel. I was looking to upgrade my spoon rod with a new spinning setup. I really dont know much about what spinning reels are out there and what the pros and cons are on them. I was looking to spend around $100-$150. Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks,
Omar

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I'd go with the Shimana Saros 3000 its a very nice tough spinning reel for about 100 bones. It will be my next spinning reel. Bob Barthlow put them on his spinning rigs I believe, maybe he will chime in on how the handle everyday use.

Clay

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pflueger Presidents work great for me. I can't seem to make a reel last more than a few years even with upkeep, but these seem to work forever.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Take a look at the Quantum Energy spinning reels. Great value for a 10 bearing reel, lifetime guaranteed bail system, ceramic multi-disc drag, spare spool, aluminum frames, titanium finish. They're in your price range, and are currently eligible for a $15 rebate.

If you don't want to spend quite as much, you can get a Quantum Catalyst. Very similar except 8 bearings.

You can click the link in my signature for more info on Quantum product, or you can ask me here.... I'm always happy to help.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I second the Symetre. I bought one a month or so ago and it's a very smooth, great reel for the money. And it's under your price range.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
i have a over a dozen symetre's for my bass rods and they are great. i abuse them pretty bad and they hold up. i also use them for 99% of my steelhead fishing. great reel and a great price.

i have heard that those quantums are good too. peddlers knows what he is talking about.

for a cheap work horse of a reel i like the okuma fina. dirt cheap,strong as a horse. i have had clients beat the hell out of these things and they keep going. i don't know if they make them anymore. i bought out the entire stock olympia boaters world had when they said they were going to quit stocking them. i love those p.o.s. 's

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fishpimp said:
i have a over a dozen symetre's for my bass rods and they are great. i abuse them pretty bad and they hold up. i also use them for 99% of my steelhead fishing. great reel and a great price.

i have heard that those quantums are good too. peddlers knows what he is talking about.

for a cheap work horse of a reel i like the okuma fina. dirt cheap,strong as a horse. i have had clients beat the hell out of these things and they keep going. i don't know if they make them anymore. i bought out the entire stock olympia boaters world had when they said they were going to quit stocking them. i love those p.o.s. 's
I have an Okuman Alumina 8 ball bearing right now and it has been good to me. I just want to get something different now. The symetres sound nice but I would also like to check out the energy pt. Is The Saros better then the Symetres I was looking at both last night.
Thanks,
Omar

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I enjoy my Quantum Catalyst PTi. I use it for trout fishing for the most part. Quantum has a $15 online discount claim form if you purchase one from now until May 31st.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Be sure and check out the Energy PT. Quality and Power. While your doing that ask to see the new Quantum Tour PT, 12 ball bearings. I would rate this reel higher than all the shimano`s and the Energy mentioned above. It is a little more $$ than your price range. But once you pick it up you may change your mind. Good Fishin`

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
the flueger supreme is the best reel that i have used and it is right around $100. prob 1 of the lgihtest reels out there and it holds a lot of line. just dont use it in salt water

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Look for the Diawa Tierra or the Daiwa Exceler.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take a look at the Daiwa Exceler series. I have the 2500 and the 3000. Use both for fishing the rivers. Use for Salmon and Steelheading. They work great...never had a problem with either one. Smooth drag system. Very impressed!
Bought both at Sportco for around $60.00 each. You will not be dissappointed!
MOFO

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Im gonna go out tonight to pick one up. So i guess Im just going to have to look at all of the above mentioned and see which one I like the best.
Omar

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Have fun! Thats the best part, just playing around with reels. When i worked at OE, thats pretty much all I did! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
MOFO said:
Take a look at the Daiwa Exceler series. I have the 2500 and the 3000. Use both for fishing the rivers. Use for Salmon and Steelheading. They work great...never had a problem with either one. Smooth drag system. Very impressed!
MOFO

I'd have to second the Exceler. I own a Symetre as well and definitely prefer the Exceler. On the other hand, if you're looking to mainly throw spoons, I'd recommend a level wind.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JacobF said:
MOFO said:
MOFO

I'd have to second the Exceler. I own a Symetre as well and definitely prefer the Exceler. On the other hand, if you're looking to mainly throw spoons, I'd recommend a level wind.

I ended up getting the pflueger president. I was comparing it to all the other reels and for the money it seemed to be a really good reel. My spoon rod is a spinning rod and I have never had the desire to use a level wind because i do perfectly fine with the spinning setup. I use my level wind on my float rod. I guess i just have them mixed up because most people prefer it the other way around ha ha. O well what can you do. ;)
Omar

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recommend the Flueger President. I caught a lot of King's last season and it held up nice. Even full of sand (don't ask) it spins nice and fluid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts