Game Fishing Forum banner

Ling Attack

4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Icystraits 
#1 ·
Maybe this should be in another area, but I will start it here. I went diving with my future son in law yesterday at the Edmonds Dive Park. Visibility was bad, only about 10 feet, so everything we saw was up close. One of the first fish we saw was a Ling about 20 to 25 pounds. She was apparently guarding her nest. She came straight off the bottom and blocked my path. She hovered about 12 inches in front of my mask. I suspected she was guarding eggs so we backed off and started to go around. As soon as I angled away she bit at my flippers. As my buddy passed, she tried to slam him in the chest. He was a little freaked because it was the first Ling he had seen and did not know why she was coming at him. We ended up seeing a lot of lings in the 10 to 15 pound range but the first was the only one that got aggressive. Kinda cool outing.

#2 ·
Wow..

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me several years ago while diving at Edmonds! The ling that charged me went for my face mask! I sucked down 30 minutes of air in about 2 minutes! :D

#4 ·
You underwater guys are a little oxygen starved. Scary stuff.

Good thing it wasn't a 20 foot Octopus taking your face mask.

Timboy, we need you fishing and reporting from the surface .... not from the bottom.

Did you see any salmon?

#5 ·
Tim,
Figure out how to lure her a bit south for the LIng opener. Revenge is a dish best served with whitefish! Tup:
Nice to hear from you, even if it doesn't involve reporting on a fish catch. Although I guess it was a fish catch, just that the fish was the one trying to do the catching!
Get out fishing if the weather gives you a window!

#9 ·
SportJet said:
Friend of mine is a diver and said there is a ling in the park that is easily 40lbs.

Once ling season opens I gotta get a reel that holds a million yards and then have a diver take my jig north from elliott bay so that when I reel him in he's legal :mrgreen:
LOL that is an excellent plan Chuck

#10 ·
cmessling07 said:
SportJet said:
Friend of mine is a diver and said there is a ling in the park that is easily 40lbs.

Once ling season opens I gotta get a reel that holds a million yards and then have a diver take my jig north from elliott bay so that when I reel him in he's legal :mrgreen:
Would a 40 lb ling, be greater than 40 inches long? (40 inches being the maximum size limit allowed for retention in Puget Sound)

#11 ·
I want to start this out by saying I was young and didn’t know any better and it was legal.

In the late 50's and early 60’s we had a cabin on the Canal and we spent a lot of weekends there in the winter. My brother and I used to spearfish and one of our favorite things to do was spearfish for lings and our most productive method was to find one guarding the nest because they wouldn’t swim off, in fact, they would come after you if you went near it. Believe or not, there were lots of lingcod in the Canal back in those days. We had, by today’s standards, pretty archaic gear… wet suits, Hawaiian Slings and homemade surgical tubing spear guns and the old Mike Nelson kind of two hose regulators. We never got bit; whether that was luck or not I don’t know but I do know when a big ling comes after you it’s quite a thrill especially if you missed with your spear. They would come right at your face and then turn at the last minute. If I remember right they were only around like that in December and January.

As an aside, I remember thinking it was pretty funny to put raw oysters in my brother’s wetsuit booties. :D

#12 ·
Sparky and Trollking

Not to worry. I have nearly completed the project that has kept me busy for the last 6 months. The boat is in the driveway for some much needed maintenance and upgrades. I should be back on the water in 2 or 3 weeks. The reports on blackmouth fishing will start coming again.

Slow leak

Oysters in the booties..........Now that there is very funny. I gotta try that someday.

#13 ·
Tim,
Nice story... glad to hear you made it back up w/out any serious mishaps... :geek:

Maybe when the ling season opens back up I'll create a lure that looks like a diver, wetsuit, bubbles you know what Im saying...

Hope your boat is feeling better..
going to try for some BM tomorrow...
talk soon

Art

#14 ·
volynsky said:
cmessling07 said:
SportJet said:

Would a 40 lb ling, be greater than 40 inches long? (40 inches being the maximum size limit allowed for retention in Puget Sound)
He didnt say how long it was...only that when it started to charge him the head was way bigger than his which tells me it was a female probably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.