Game Fishing Forum banner

Ling Attack

4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Icystraits 
I want to start this out by saying I was young and didn’t know any better and it was legal.

In the late 50's and early 60’s we had a cabin on the Canal and we spent a lot of weekends there in the winter. My brother and I used to spearfish and one of our favorite things to do was spearfish for lings and our most productive method was to find one guarding the nest because they wouldn’t swim off, in fact, they would come after you if you went near it. Believe or not, there were lots of lingcod in the Canal back in those days. We had, by today’s standards, pretty archaic gear… wet suits, Hawaiian Slings and homemade surgical tubing spear guns and the old Mike Nelson kind of two hose regulators. We never got bit; whether that was luck or not I don’t know but I do know when a big ling comes after you it’s quite a thrill especially if you missed with your spear. They would come right at your face and then turn at the last minute. If I remember right they were only around like that in December and January.

As an aside, I remember thinking it was pretty funny to put raw oysters in my brother’s wetsuit booties. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.