Game Fishing Forum banner

Ling Attack

4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Icystraits 
#1 ·
Maybe this should be in another area, but I will start it here. I went diving with my future son in law yesterday at the Edmonds Dive Park. Visibility was bad, only about 10 feet, so everything we saw was up close. One of the first fish we saw was a Ling about 20 to 25 pounds. She was apparently guarding her nest. She came straight off the bottom and blocked my path. She hovered about 12 inches in front of my mask. I suspected she was guarding eggs so we backed off and started to go around. As soon as I angled away she bit at my flippers. As my buddy passed, she tried to slam him in the chest. He was a little freaked because it was the first Ling he had seen and did not know why she was coming at him. We ended up seeing a lot of lings in the 10 to 15 pound range but the first was the only one that got aggressive. Kinda cool outing.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Sparky and Trollking

Not to worry. I have nearly completed the project that has kept me busy for the last 6 months. The boat is in the driveway for some much needed maintenance and upgrades. I should be back on the water in 2 or 3 weeks. The reports on blackmouth fishing will start coming again.

Slow leak

Oysters in the booties..........Now that there is very funny. I gotta try that someday.

Discussion starter · #18 ·
Another buddy says that he has seen Lings 5 feet long and several write ups by dive clubs mention 5 foot Lings. I have yet to see anything like that.

Art

That is a great idea. Be sure to make two. I would like to try it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.