Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Tekota 700 for Halibuttin and would like some opinions on line choice. I was thinking 80lb Power Pro. Not sure if that is to much for fishing the straits for butts or not. Just wondering if I should stick with a 50 or 60lb. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run 50lb Power Pro on my Halibut rods and it works great plus you can get more line on the reel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like using 50 to 60 lbs (power pro)so you can fit more line on your reel and if you get hung up on the bottom you can break off easier and not have to strugger with 80 or 100 lbs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been using 65lb pp. and it works great. A little easier to get down in a stronger current. 50 could work too but I like the 65.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have yellow 65lb PP on mine and use it out in the ocean in 500ft of water. Never had the line break. 80lb would work, but it is much stronger than needed and probably costs more.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
65 lbs test. We were breaking off split rings, and even a Sampo snap swivel too, I think, with it. Less drag too.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I have 50lb Tuff-line XP on a couple and 65lb XP on the other.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
65lb - 80lb suffix braid or power pro!!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Fish Guy Keith said:
Geez....I use 80lb Spiderwire because Keith made me a heck of a deal on a 1500 yard spool, and now I learn that at best, it would be his third choice. :eek:

I prefer the 80 lb test because it seems like the superlines break at less than their test rating quite often. At the end of the mono, I'll run about 8 feet of 60lb mono to take the abuse from any rocks and to be my breakaway section if I hang up.

Line capacity is not an issue because 80lb superline is thin enough that if you do not use a backing, you will have few hundred yards of your expensive line that will never see the light of day. I use dacron line for the backing, and where the dacron and superline join I have a layer of electical tape around the spool. That way the superline does not bury itself in the backing, but the tape would come right off if I ever was being spooled past the superline.

Thinner line does help get to the bottom; but I have been able to fish 80lb test in water over 700' just fine, and that is hundreds of feet deeper than you would be fishing in the straights.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Buy a 300yd spool of Sufix braid right now from any retailer and get a $10 (mail-in) cash rebate. I've loaded my reel/s with 80# Sufix, yellow color. Nicest handling braid I've ever fished. Good stuff. Tup:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Try to use the same line diameter that everyone else on the boat is using. Different line diameters create different line angles and more lines crossed.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
LoL.....I have used most of the super lines on the marketare there all good those are just my first 2 choices if I had to buy it..... Now when I get free spools of berkley braid or stren I use them too.....I'm not quite as picky when its free!!

H. B. Kicker said:
Fish Guy Keith said:
Geez....I use 80lb Spiderwire because Keith made me a heck of a deal on a 1500 yard spool, and now I learn that at best, it would be his third choice. :eek:

I prefer the 80 lb test because it seems like the superlines break at less than their test rating quite often. At the end of the mono, I'll run about 8 feet of 60lb mono to take the abuse from any rocks and to be my breakaway section if I hang up.

Line capacity is not an issue because 80lb superline is thin enough that if you do not use a backing, you will have few hundred yards of your expensive line that will never see the light of day. I use dacron line for the backing, and where the dacron and superline join I have a layer of electical tape around the spool. That way the superline does not bury itself in the backing, but the tape would come right off if I ever was being spooled past the superline.

Thinner line does help get to the bottom; but I have been able to fish 80lb test in water over 700' just fine, and that is hundreds of feet deeper than you would be fishing in the straights.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
This is very tru!!! Good point J.D. Tup:

J.D. said:
Try to use the same line diameter that everyone else on the boat is using. Different line diameters create different line angles and more lines crossed.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
I believe it was 80lb stren :mrgreen:
Tiderunner said:
Whatever Keith spooled on them last year, I think it was 80# power pro.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts