Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fisrt time to Lincoln Park in West Seattle yesterday. Watched for an hour a guy spinnng, a fly fisherman from shore and another flyfisherman on a small dingy late in the afternoon but with no bites. My question to the forum is what are they fishing for? When does it get start getting hotter ( fishing at the Park ) and if the Tide makes a difference on when to go? Low Tide or High Tide? Thanks in advance. conf:

·
Banned
109 Posts
They are all fishing for sea run cutties and resident coho salmon, its a very fun fishery especially with a 5 or 6wt fly rod. I try to get out in the sound to chase the cutts a few time a month since I live very close to the water. There is really not a huge 'run' timing for the resident coho as they spend their whole life in the sound. Right now isnt the best time for cutties because most of them are in the fresh water spawning, but they will pick up in April or May. Lincoln Park is a beach morely known for resident coho as to cutts from what people tell me. I couldnt give you good tides because all beaches fish better at different times of the tides. If I had to choose my favorite tide to fish the sound for cutts and resident coho it would probley be the outgoing since it tends to bring the bait (juvy herring, sandlance, amphipods and other baitfish and/or shrimps) closer to shore making the fish within easier casting distance.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
LP a good place for both gear and fly anglers who want to target salmon. Not a top SRC spot in my opinion, although I've caught them there. If SRC are your target species, there are better places to be fishing. LP fishes best in the summer and fall, when more silvers and occasional kings are available. Last year was pretty good for humpies also.

You want to fish LP on tides with larger exchanges of water. The larger changes create rips. Fish the rips and you'll have success. Small changes don't provide much in the way of water movement, thus no rips. LP can also be a seaweed saladfest in the summer, which can make it difficult to fish at times.

As a general rule, fish the north side of the point on the incoming tide, the south side on the outgoing. There should be fish around once area 10 opens this summer.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts