Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used an old camera flash to "light up" my glow hoochi and flasher. Worked real good. Well, my old reliable died and I haven't been able to find another one that don't cost an arm and a leg. I tried a flash light, but it just doesn't do the same job. Thought about trying a timing light. What are you guys using?

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Grab yourself a disposable camera. They also do sell the light at some sporting goods stores that flashes and does the same job.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went to a thrift store and bought an old 35mm camera that didn't work for 50 cents. The flash works great still. Hard to beat that price. Make sure that the camera uses regular batteries and bring a few with you so you can test the flash.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
One other thing to help those babies glow...

Get an aluminum can (Coors Light is what I use ;) ) and cut the top off. Hang your favorite glow hoochie, spoon or plug into the can and let your camera flash do its magic. The flash bounces off the aluminum and gets all sides at once and REALLY makes those babies glow. I did this with two of the same Army Truck double glow Coho killers, pre dawn last summer and the difference was amazing.

No more flashing the lure, turning it over, flashing the other side, etc...

·
Registered
562 Posts
My fishing buddie went to the seminar a while back at Outdoor Emporium. The guys from Salmon University spoke about using a black light to charge glow hootchies, spoons, plugs etc. They claim that it creates a better charge to the lure and that the glow will last longer than flashlight, flash etc. I went out and bought a $12.00 battery powered black light at Fred Meyers. It works great. Has anyone else out there tried the black light and if so what do you think???

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great ideas, I thought about the black light, think I will give it a try. Might even combine it with the can! Thanks guys for all the input and ideas, see ya on the water. I'll be the boat with the radically glowin hoochi!

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I second the black light. The color temp is much higher and has more photon energy. This is why the sky is blue.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I found a 12v light at McClendon Hardware that has both a florescent light and a black light. I'll turn on the black light at the boat ramp and let it charge a couple flashers and hootchies while I am motoring to the fishing ground.

·
Registered
693 Posts
what about those flashlights with all the led's. the QA inspectors at boeing use those and they light up the area like the sun. they seem pretty intense. those flashlights produce a super bright white light. i like hb"s method too. aaron and i have a uv light in the nr but those tomics kick so much butt we havnt used it much.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
crop duster said:
what about those flashlights with all the led's. the QA inspectors at boeing use those and they light up the area like the sun. they seem pretty intense. those flashlights produce a super bright white light. i like hb"s method too. aaron and i have a uv light in the nr but those tomics kick so much butt we havnt used it much.
Full bandwidth light would work fine too, but the blue color is a higher charged light partical that needs to be captured. It is this same blue color in the broader bandwidth led light that will charge your lure best especially with leds that create near true daylight at 6500 Kelvin or hotter. Camera flashes are near 6500K or D65 and would work good too. I would suspect a timing light would work too. Timing lights use more blue since they're typically used in higher lighting environments where blue is less dominate. Cooler colors like a typical yellowish incandescent light will produce much less photon energy. This is why better results are seen charging glowing devices with blue (black) lights then using green, yellow, and red.

I'm one of 74 people in the world certified by the Imaging Science Foundation on the commercial level. Color temp is the core of our practice in the ISF-C world. It would be my professional opinion that blue or "black" light will work best to charge lures.

·
Registered
330 Posts
crop duster said:
Boeing lights are not approved for fishing use. I asked......they said no. :mrgreen:

I have a 4 foot black light hanging in my office to see what kind of glow the lures will get. I also carry portable black light in the boat. Best way to go.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, so I'm going out to look for a black light with Shinna (my spouse), when she asks "and where are you going to hang the Disco Ball?" :lol:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Here is my poor man's version which works better than most of the high end models as the charge stays light for a loooong time. Tup:
I picked up all the parts at Sportsman's Warehouse. Tubing was in the fly section.

I have used the glow sticks for night catfishing as well. Just rig the same with the tubing ahead of the bobber on the line and insert the glow stick. Cast out and when the light goes out the fish is on. Catfish will take suspended bait if it is good bait. If they won't then just tape the glow stick on your rod tip, fish on bottom and watch for the bounce. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I went to a pawn shop and bought an old 35mm camera flash unit for about $10. Just make sure you bring some batteriaes with you to make sure it works. I tried 3 different ones before I found one that worked worth a dang. It has lasted 3 years of hard use so far.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Soady, I have two packs of those in my toon, I cant
believe I have never thought of that! clown: Looks like I got some work to do! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts