Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tested 10 lb Maxima perfection [not] leader line against Seaguar 10 lb [leader] line the maxima won with two hooks same not pulled against each other twice , The reason was , I went too the skook , and Lost two BIG steel head , and kept one 9 lb steely with 8 Lb Leaders cant remember brand , they broke ,so I wondered about this leader issue , Any one out ther buy leader line or regular line for leaders and why , And don't bother to rush the skook , It's slow I was just very lucky , I struck out two following day's w/out a bite ,

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
not all line diameters are the same, between manufacturers, for a given lb-test rating. Also, some lines are stronger than others, based at least in part on different diameters and/or other factors.

VHAWK did an extensive set of tests on line/leaders few months back and posted the results.

BTW I think Maxima has thicker diameter than other lines for the same lb-test rating, and so that is one reason why it may be stronger than others.

BTW2 those spools of leader line and spools of mainline, are the same line.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I use 8 and 12lb McCoy Mean Green. I've never had the line break. Brought in a 17 lb king on 8lb test last fall.

I did however have a lot of trouble with knots when i first started fishing regularly a couple years back though. After i figured out what was wrong, it was all good. Not sayin that's your problem obviously, but it was mine.

Oh and McCoy's made in the USA. Tup:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Fish Boy said:
how do you guys like the berkely vanish? i bought some 8lb. for my number 2's for hatcheries and summeruns
It vanished out of my tackle bag directly after I tried it for the first time Tdown:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Most everyone i talk to runs Izor everything. I've just always had good luck with McCoy. I suppose i should listen to the pro's and switch, but they've never used McCoy so they can't compare the 2 for me and tell me why.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
powder said:
Most everyone i talk to runs Izor everything. I've just always had good luck with McCoy. I suppose i should listen to the pro's and switch, but they've never used McCoy so they can't compare the 2 for me and tell me why.
I am by no means a pro. But Izor is cheap and strong. Why go any other way?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Use the clear YoZuri Hybrid for leader and you will be very happy. It is a fluorocarbon coated mono line that is super strong and has a little more stretch and ties better knots then most mono. Really no good reason to use fluorocarbon leader in the skook anyway.. Nice to hear about all the three salts in the Skook this year, even if the fishing is slow. Tup:

Like Hick and powder said, Izor and Ultragreen is a good choice.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Most of the time I use Maxima florocarbon, 15 lb for kings, 12 lb for silvers. I drop down to 8 lb or 10 lb when fishing for silvers or hatchery steel in low/clear situations. I do use heavier leader than most, if I can get away with it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I use Maxima for most of my leaders and McCoy mean green for my mainline. Dump that Vanish crap before it dumps a fish or two for you. It's garbage ans that's where it belongs. IMO. Tdown:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
HickvilleFF said:
powder said:
I am by no means a pro. But Izor is cheap and strong. Why go any other way?
You're right on both accounts, but i never used Izor until i spooled up my new reel with it. It's great stuff, don't get me wrong, but my mean green is great too. And the McCoy's only like $6 for a 250 yd spool. Personal preference i guess. Like i said, i had no experience with Izor until about a week ago and i can see why people like it.

I have no problem paying more for an American made product either.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
powder said:
There is absolutly nothing wrong with McCoy, the pro's aren't the one fishing with your rod. If you like the way it performs for you then theres no reason to switch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I run Maxima UG for all my leaders and run Trilene XT for main line. Vanish Tdown: I used it on the Snake one time, I broke off 3 fish in a row, that stuff is horrible!

Jig'n

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Most of the time I use Maxima leader lines in 8-12lb depending on the species that is targeted. I don't use flouracarbon on the rivers. I use Vanish with Bass and havn't had any problems with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts