Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been asked a 1000 time's on here, but I've been a moocher my whole life I'am still learning this downriggin stuff.

What is the length's that you run your hootchie from the flasher. Do you run the coyote spoon's the same length? also plug's.

any input would be great. Thank's

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's Duro, doe's it make a difference on length for winter blackmouth vs summer fishing for king's...

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
I do like Duro dose in length for winter black mouth but for summer kings I run 30 - 36 inches for the hootchies and about 42 for the spoons .... with bait I run about 5 feet

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you guy's run differnt speed's with hootchies vs plug's or spoon's..

·
Registered
330 Posts
BIG GUY said:
Do you guy's run differnt speed's with hootchies vs plug's or spoon's..
TOMIC plugs are high speed plugs, hence the lip on the top of the plug. I run them at 2.8 to 4 knots. Herring/chovies/etc. is a slow troll game from 1.8 to 2.4 knots. Hoochies for silvers: 3.5 nots. hoochies for kings: 2.2 knots.

For big kings: I run 46in. leaders for hoochies with 50# test line. The strength of the line is important because different brands/strengths put a different action on the hooch. Bait has its own action so i run 6' of 30# test so the bait can do its thing. I do the same thing with spoons for kings. Spoons for silvers gets shortened to 30" to 36".

For Tomics, I run 6' to 7' of 40#, no flasher and put it WWB (way way back), 50' behind the DR so it can waddle from side to side.

i measure from swivel to end of hook (by the way)

Hope this helps.

TIGHT LINES!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts