Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be laying laminate flooring in one of the rooms of my house tomorrow which i have never done before,I have ripped up all the old carpet and pad and have it down to the original hardwood floors.My question is,do I want to lay it in the same direction as the original floor or the opposite or does it not matter?If anyone has any advice on this i would greatly appreciate it,thanx

· Registered
11,190 Posts
I like to lay it perpendicular to the length of the room. In other words, the opposite direction as the longest walls. If the room is square go whatever way matches the floor plan direction. Like if you're walking into a large square room lay it left to right. You don't want the lines going the same direction you are walking. If you have two entrances to one room you can go diagonal but it takes a lot more material.

· Registered
641 Posts
I can see the practicallity in laying laminate over old-school hardwood.
Depending on the age of the original material, the hardwood may be vastly inferior to a modern laminate.
Hardwood doesn't live up to it's name in it's ability to take a beating like laminate. Table and chair legs can really do a number on hardwood flooring....Not to mention the activities of a couple kids.
True the dings and marks of a hardwood floor give the room character and a lived in, homey feel but for day in, day out durability, maitainence and appearance laminate flooring offers important plusses that hardwood flooring lack.
I am as "old school" as anybody on this forum...I even have hardwood in much of my house but in some regards comparing the two floor materials is kind of the same as comparing a canvas tent with a nylon model.
Nothing really compares to the look of a recently re-finished hardwood floor that has been freshly waxed...just wish the look was more lasting.

· Registered
1,320 Posts
fishinfoolz said:
I like to lay it perpendicular to the length of the room. In other words, the opposite direction as the longest walls.
Thats actually just the opposite of how most manufacturers want you to lay it. They almost all recommend starting along the longest wall.

Another thing I'd watch for,is where the sun enters the room. I've seen installs where they layed the floor perpendicular to the way the sun enters and the seams stuck out like a sore thumb.

· Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I just got done about a half hour ago,turned out excellent especially considering it was my 1st time doing it.Now the wife wants me to do it in the living room and dining room.As for the original hardwood floors,they were more than i wanted to tackle,they were painted dark brown and had some sections missing out of them.tomorrow I will be putting all the trim around the base of the walls and around the door,and then after about a 2 year project due to funds it will be ready to move furniture back in.Feels good to be finally done,I already told my wife,"No more tearing down walls."Thanks for all your input

· Registered
1 Posts
I am going to be laying laminate flooring in one of the rooms of my house tomorrow which i have never done before,I have ripped up all the old carpet and pad and have it down to the original hardwood floors.My question is,do I want to lay it in the same direction as the original floor or the opposite or does it not matter?If anyone has any advice on this i would greatly appreciate it,thanx
It works best when laid parallel to the bed's breadth. Alternatively put, the way that the largest wall face. Follow the path indicated by the architectural drawings if the room is rectangular. Lay it left to right, for instance, if you're entering a big square space. The lines shouldn't be pointing in the same direction as where you are walking. If a room has two origins, you can go diagonally, but it requires a lot more material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts