Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick report here,

Got out to lake this morning with my boat and great friends. Saw a handful of boats trolling the aeriotors.

We tried the other end of lake where us locals go early wink: .

Water temp still too cold for a great bite. 42 degrees. But a great day.

There were Kokes jumping all over the place. Local legend JIm was fishing near us and said he had a few.

Well I managed to cracker off 2 today. Only fish we got to bite. Fish 10 feet mostly.

Fish are there. Just need some rise in water temp to get those hundreds of jumpers we saw to bite Tup:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fishn2gthr4ever said:
Thanks for the report, Tod! It should be game on by derby time. C&I look forward to seeing you there!
Me as well looking forward to seeing you as well! Will keep you in touch as to the fishing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yo Ice...good to know you are still around...have not heard much from you lately...we need to fish to together soon as we have not had the chance to yet...

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
GreatNWRiversGS said:
Thats odd,merwin is 42 as well and they are biting just fine... over 40 takes today in nasty wind and rain
My newly acquired 20' Super Vee will be ready to roll in a week or so.

I may have to head down to Merwin and get some lessons from Paul......... wink:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
GreatNWRivers -
The early spring kokanee fishing on Stevens has always been an enigma to me. I had a buddy who whose home lake was American and his "spring" would always kick off a couple weeks before mine on Stevens and I noticed that the last few years you and others are find consistent fishing as much as month before I do. I suspect it has something to do with the way the lake warms up from the winter. It is a relatively deep lake not very far from sea-level. As a result much of the body of the lake (except for a very thin layer at the surface) this time of year is approximately 42 degrees. Again this year that is the case; currently at least down to more than 30 feet the water is 42 degrees (that top foot varies a lot depending on the sun).

On many lakes that water column temperatures at the end of winter is 39 degrees (especially those that have ice covered or found at higher elevations). As a result the first stretch of nice weather will result in a 3 to 5 degree rise in that 10 feet of water which seems to stimulate an early season bite as well as concentrate the fish in that layer. On Stevens we may not see that warmer upper layer of water and the consistent fish that produces for another month or so. I know that this seems to be counter intutive - the warm lake at the end of he winter comes on later but it seems to work that way.

Of course in may also just be the case is that I just don't have the same "knack" of catching those kokanee as others. Hoping the Big_Daddy or Rotten Chum can show us that those Stevens kokanee can be caught consistently this early in the year.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was on American Lake on Monday and we caught limits of kokanee, plus a few trout and perch. Surface water temp is 44. Lots of jumpers on the north end and balls of really tight schools about 30' down north and northwest of the island. Trolled through the jumpers w/ homemade spinners w/ small smile blades for some, drifted through jumpers w/ the wind tossing spinners for others. Didn't take long.

The perch are not biting well yet. Some still have eggs, some don't. Once they get rested from the spawn they'll turn on again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Big_Daddy said:
GreatNWRiversGS said:
Thats odd,merwin is 42 as well and they are biting just fine... over 40 takes today in nasty wind and rain

Randy what happened to big yellow???

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Drifter said:
Big_Daddy said:
GreatNWRiversGS said:

Randy what happened to big yellow???
Old Yellow is probably down on the Big C slaying Springers.

I sold it a while ago.

For what I use a sled for, I just decided to downsize....

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Smalma said:
GreatNWRivers -
The early spring kokanee fishing on Stevens has always been an enigma to me. I had a buddy who whose home lake was American and his "spring" would always kick off a couple weeks before mine on Stevens and I noticed that the last few years you and others are find consistent fishing as much as month before I do. I suspect it has something to do with the way the lake warms up from the winter. It is a relatively deep lake not very far from sea-level. As a result much of the body of the lake (except for a very thin layer at the surface) this time of year is approximately 42 degrees. Again this year that is the case; currently at least down to more than 30 feet the water is 42 degrees (that top foot varies a lot depending on the sun).

On many lakes that water column temperatures at the end of winter is 39 degrees (especially those that have ice covered or found at higher elevations). As a result the first stretch of nice weather will result in a 3 to 5 degree rise in that 10 feet of water which seems to stimulate an early season bite as well as concentrate the fish in that layer. On Stevens we may not see that warmer upper layer of water and the consistent fish that produces for another month or so. I know that this seems to be counter intutive - the warm lake at the end of he winter comes on later but it seems to work that way.

Of course in may also just be the case is that I just don't have the same "knack" of catching those kokanee as others. Hoping the Big_Daddy or Rotten Chum can show us that those Stevens kokanee can be caught consistently this early in the year.

Tight lines
Curt
I have no clue about that lol, Merwin is over 200 ft in places and averages 130 ft... we got 28 today, hooked over 60

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree Paul has his Kokes dialed in for sure!!!! I am in awe Tup:

Great info Smalma. Was that you I was talking to in the Lund on ThurS?

We did see lots of Kokes and I did spend too much time using Green as it was hot early last year. My red custom tied wedding ring had the 2 I lost in quick fashion before wind picked up. Will be there again next week. I LOVE STEVENS!

One thing I did notice was the fish seemed large for this early. The one I lost I saw was easily 14 inchs and thick.

Chumster! I would love to fish with you anyday. I want to pick your brain about trying treble instead to bring down crackered fish. I think you have used this tech.

I will keep you advised as well as to the fishing.
Ice

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ice - don't forget about the big Cheez. I would love to bring my boat out and have you teach me a few things before the derby. :) By the way - when is the derby on Stevens?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Cheez said:
Ice - don't forget about the big Cheez. I would love to bring my boat out and have you teach me a few things before the derby. :) By the way - when is the derby on Stevens?
May 21st.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheez, give me a PM or call. Lets go hit Stevens soon. I will dial you in as best I can. It does change somewhat each year.

Are we getting support for the Kids derby part again? People are starting to come in great numbers to this derby and its such a great derby for kids!

Support your local derbys! It helps keep kids focused on a great hobby!

Ice

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Ice - this temp go shallow in Lk Stevens ... 10' max!

Looks like I am missing the derby this year as I already committed to the boys a sturg trip south on May 21 and hotel is booked etc.

Love Kokes on the barbeque ... go get em Tup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts