Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to my first L. Stevens Koke Derby, curious as to who I will see up there this Saturday!? Sounds like it will be a shootout with all the reports coming from there. I will be bumper boating in my red Alumaweld Intruder, following Winterun around...lol

See you on the water!
fJ

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'll be on the road by 3:00am FJ, I'll see you there!!!

Good luck,
Winterun

·
Registered
296 Posts
See you guys out there. I'll be in my 19 foot Freedrifter. I see lots of bent rods and silver, fully inflated, footballs in our future.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, just the 3 of us!?...I might have a chance at the $100 GF.com bounty fish then! haha

·
Registered
390 Posts
Alas my boat will not be ready in time, the maiden voyage will be Saturday at Summit Lake......

Good luck Guys!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I will be the first to report. The biggest kokanee was if I recall .86 2nd .85 3rd and 4th .84 biggest trout was 3+ pounds. As for my son and I, We got skunked and lost all 5 fish at the boat, and really had to work for those fish. My 5 year old got a starter tackle box, and he and myself enjoyed every moment fish or no fish. Some boats I heard got limits with ease and some got 30+. I would like to ask anyone who did well out there To share what may have worked for you. I'm new to this fishery. Thanks all, fish on!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Was a fun event...we only managed a couple Kokes but my boat scrapped out the Largest Trout win so a decent day for us. Winteruns boat took 3rd in the Koke side.

Brianna had her 30 fish by 10am and John (Rotten Chum) finished the day with 60 fish!

LivetoFish took home the Downrigger raffle win!

Met some great peeps and look forward to next year!

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
What a great derby it was! Great meeting new faces and seeing old friends. Fishing was pretty good for out boat but we had to work for our last 7 pretty hard. Ended up with 25 in the boat and lost just as many. For most that I talked to they seemed to have their best success around 30-45 ft. Our boat was the opposite. We were fishing all depths from flat lined on the surface to 35 ft and hit most of our fish from surface to 15ft. The pressure system that started moving through mid morning pushed the fish deeper as the top line bite seemed to slow way down.

Guru happy to share what was working for us. The new dick nite hypnosis dodgers were our hot ticket along with the other tried and true colors in the line up. Glow wonderbread clown was our main producer for most of the morning with a green wedding ring 18-20" behind the dodger. The moon jelly hypnosis paired with a cotton candy Frank's kokanee trolling fly was another hot setup as more light hit the water. The ticket seemed to be long leaders and shoepeg corn in a variety of scents (think saltwater flavors this early in the season).

All in all, at the end of the day just a blast fishing with good friends. The prizes were great and I happened to be so fortunate to win the Electric Downrigger in the raffle. I could not be more excited about that right now. What a blessing. Thank you to all who put the derby on and all the great people involved. I can't wait till next year already!

Tight Lines!
20150516_153235_Richtone(HDR).jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the tips livetofish! I just had a few more questions for you if you don't mind, like I said I'm new to fishing kokanee and I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I can have some successful trips this season. Now I seen you mention something about pressure? Is this barometric pressure like high and low pressure systems? I heard that this will affect bite response with salmon. Where do you go to get your information? And is high or low good for fishing? And how do you know when one or the other is moving in? Last question.. Where do you go for your kokanee gear? I should invest in some more gear. Thanks again for your time. Congrats again on the cannon downrigger. I have to manuals myself and would love an electric some day

·
Registered
659 Posts
Was a fun event...we only managed a couple Kokes but my boat scrapped out the Largest Trout win so a decent day for us. Winteruns boat took 3rd in the Koke side.

Brianna had her 30 fish by 10am and John (Rotten Chum) finished the day with 60 fish!

LivetoFish took home the Downrigger raffle win!

Met some great peeps and look forward to next year!
Way to represent guys, sounds like there was good fishing and great folks. I missed not being out there trolling around with everyone, there's always next year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts