Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Lake Sammamish yesterday for Cutts and only managed one trout about 12 inches that I put back. Saw lots of boats trolling but did not see any fish caught that I could tell. I was trolling a flasher and a worm and a dodger and a needlefish with various weights. Was any other GF members out on Sammamish yesterday and if so did you do any good?

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Where were you and the other boats trolling? I'm guessing down at the south end of the lake? That's where I normally see people fishing, and I've never got a fish down there. You should head a little north, right out in the middle of the lake in about 80 feet of water and give it a try. There is weather station bouy up there. Just troll ovals or figure eights around that area and I bet you do well.

Good luck

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have caught a fair share of cutts on the south end of the lake. They stack up down there once the smolt pour into the lake. I have fished the weather bouy a couple of times but haven't had as much luck.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
TRAUT said:
Where were you and the other boats trolling? I'm guessing down at the south end of the lake? That's where I normally see people fishing, and I've never got a fish down there. You should head a little north, right out in the middle of the lake in about 80 feet of water and give it a try. There is weather station bouy up there. Just troll ovals or figure eights around that area and I bet you do well.

Good luck
Now that's a good day of fishing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was down in the south end mainly and did not venture up north much this trip. I was only out about 3 hours though. I will get em soon. I have gotten alot of info from some Game fishers on here and will be putting it to good use. Time on the water is the key. I have only specifically targeted them twice now, so I will get onto it soon. Nice fish you had there
JDL
TRAUT said:

Good luck

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The weather buoy is on the south end of the lake. It is almost due west of the boat launch. If you looked west from the launch to Vasa park, I would bet it is in that line of sight.

You were more than likely fishing within a half a mile to a mile from it, if you were fishing in front of Issaquah Creek.

Go to this link, there is a graphic depicting the buoy location --

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/lak ... kSammS.htm

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I'm talking about the weather bouy that is up north. I don't think that south bouy is there anymore, hasn't been for at least a couple years even though the website still shows the south bouy. It took too much of a beating from the skiers. The location they show for the north bouy looks pretty close to being correct.

Here's the link for the north bouy picture

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/lak ... kSammN.htm

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thanks Traut, I was not sure if you were really fishing the north end.

When do the smolts out migrate from the hatchery? Is it April and May? The cutts stay with them until they head into the slough.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wondering if anybody has been out on the lake lately? If so how was it? I've seen lots of boats, makes me wanna get out there

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey, I was one of the 6 boats out there. Trolled the weather bouy first light with no action, marked very few fish. headed over to the sunken forrest and trolled a needlefish on the out skirt of the forrest with no luck but marked quite a few fish at 20 feet! Headed over to the creek area and worked that for awhile, saw one fish caught by a car topper. Fish finder went hay wire, kept shutting off so I called it a day about 11:30. Great morning to be on the water!

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was there yesterday in the afternoon for about 3 hours and had one on - briefly :) Trolled needlefish around weather station, up in the north end, and down by the creek. Marked only a couple fish on the finder and that was about it. It was nice to get out, but was hoping for a little more action.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
I've made a few posts in the past trying to pass on what works well for me on Sammamish, but just thought I'd mention one more aspect that might be helpful.

When trying to figure out when to hit the lake, a more reliable indicator than the number of boats on the lake, is the number of birds on the lake. All throughout the winter and early spring there are periodic bug hatches in the lake. When this happens you'll see a lot of grebes, cormorants, mergansers seagulls and other birds gathering on the lake eating the bugs and or the small fish that are also chasing the bugs. Well folks, the cutthroat and his relatives are also very active at this time too.

If you are on the lake during this time it is unmistakable. The water is full of the swimming stage of the bugs, shed skins, and adult bugs trying to take off from the water. It's almost a no brainer fish catching day.

This isn't too easy to see when you're driving down I-90 at Mach I, but you can see the flocks of birds all clustered up from the freeway.

Just another factor to keep in mind. Good luck to all. I hope to get out there again soon myself!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am hopefully going to get out for a few hours on Saturday morning. Not quite sure which lake I will hit but most likely Sammamish. Are the docks still submerged? They were about 3 weeks ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts