Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be trying to catch a few trout off the docks near Wapato Point the middle of April. What do you gamefishers recommend I use to catch them for my grandson and I?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Honestly you won't have much (if any) luck catching any trout off the docks at Wapato Point any time of the year. They used to plant the lake in the river (downtown Chelan) in the summer, but have stopped that too. You might catch a sucker, or some squaw fish. The lake will also be really low in April, so the docks won't be in much, if any water. Instead, drive to Roses lake (ask the front desk when you check in on how to get there). Its about 5 minutes from Wapato Point, and has WDFW access, including shore fishing. They planted it this last fall with several thousand trout, and usually plant it throughtout the year. This lake is open year round now (used to be winter only when I was growing up...one winter I fished it every weekend). I grew up in Chelan, so I know the area. Trust me...go to Roses Lake. If your there for the trout openner (last Sat of April) rent a boat at Wapato Lake, or shore fish it...it's one of the top producers for the state.

If you insist on Fishing Lake Chelan, rent a boat, and fish around the town, fishing for small mouth bass...April is a good time of year, as they are getting more active as the water warms. Also, Kokanee fishing heats up in April off of the city park as you enter town on 97A. (If you drove through a tunnel 10 miles before chelan, then you are on 97A). As you come into town, you will drive allong the lake for about 2 miles...that's the first area to heat up for kokanee in April.

good luck,

Fish-a-Latte

·
Registered
613 Posts
fish-a-latte' said:
Honestly you won't have much (if any) luck catching any trout off the docks at Wapato Point any time of the year. They used to plant the lake in the river (downtown Chelan) in the summer, but have stopped that too. You might catch a sucker, or some squaw fish. The lake will also be really low in April, so the docks won't be in much, if any water. Instead, drive to Roses lake (ask the front desk when you check in on how to get there). Its about 5 minutes from Wapato Point, and has WDFW access, including shore fishing. They planted it this last fall with several thousand trout, and usually plant it throughtout the year. This lake is open year round now (used to be winter only when I was growing up...one winter I fished it every weekend). I grew up in Chelan, so I know the area. Trust me...go to Roses Lake. If your there for the trout openner (last Sat of April) rent a boat at Wapato Lake, or shore fish it...it's one of the top producers for the state.

If you insist on Fishing Lake Chelan, rent a boat, and fish around the town, fishing for small mouth bass...April is a good time of year, as they are getting more active as the water warms. Also, Kokanee fishing heats up in April off of the city park as you enter town on 97A. (If you drove through a tunnel 10 miles before chelan, then you are on 97A). As you come into town, you will drive allong the lake for about 2 miles...that's the first area to heat up for kokanee in April.

good luck,

Fish-a-Latte
Lake Chelan "IS" stocked with a good number of fish every year. If you look at the WDFW website for last years plants they stock the lake with 50000 cutthroat, 80,000 kokes and 56,000 rainbow trout 8-12 inches. It was also planted with 478,956 koke fry and 178,340 cutthroat fry. I go there in the summer every year and in the evening , while I'm not taking the boat out, I throw a rod in while we are partying and have caught numerous fish. I'm not saying your going to catch your limit, but saying you won't have much luck may not be a true statement. It won't be hot, but there are fish to catch. Here is the link to the plants, click on 2007 plants to see http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/plants/weekly/

·
Registered
247 Posts
Epidemic is correct. Lake Chelan is extensively planted and there are plenty of fish in there to catch. In April the docks at Wapato Point will be in the dry this year so you'll haved to walk out on the shore to fish. Just bring a lawn chair and something to hold your rod. Any typical trout gear will do. Powerbait or worms for bait or casting spoons/spinners tipped with bait or scent.

You'll likely catch rainbow or cutthroat. The kokanee don't migrate down lake in appreciable numbers until later in the spring or early summer but you could get into a few of them as well.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Are the lake Chelan stocked Cutthroat fin clipped? I stopped fishing for cutties there due to the wild Cutthroat release regulation.

5 trout daily limit and 10 Kokanee daily limit. Kokes do not count against trout limit either. I am going to be bringing the smoker and
the vacuum sealer this year. Mmmm, koke candy.

CHELAN, LAKE (Chelan Co.) south of a line between Purple Point (at Stehekin) and Painted Rocks to Chelan Dam
CLOSED WATERS - within 400' of the mouths of all tributaries.
TROUT Year-round No min. size. Daily limit 5. Release wild CUTTHROAT.
LAKE TROUT Year-round No min. size. No daily limit. LAKE TROUT (MACKINAW) not included in TROUT daily limit.
KOKANEE Year-round No min. size. Daily limit 10. KOKANEE not included in TROUT daily limit. Other Game Fish Year-round Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON May 1-May 31 Min. size 15". Daily limit 1. No Catch Record Card required for SALMON.
north of a line between Purple Point (at Stehekin) and Painted Rocks
TROUT Aug. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 5. Release wild CUTTHROAT.
LAKE TROUT Aug. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. No daily limit. LAKE TROUT (MACKINAW) not included in TROUT daily limit.
KOKANEE Aug. 1-Mar. 31 No min. size. Daily limit 10. KOKANEE not included in TROUT daily limit.
Other Game Fish Aug. 1-Mar. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Aug. 1-Mar. 31 Release all SALMON.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I was up there this weekend and fished off the beach. No hits, no runs, and no errors. It is pretty quiet this time of year. All of the advice so far is good, but the best is to take the five minute trip to Roses Lake. We have fished it early in the year many times and rarely do not limit out. My buddy really likes the chartreuse power bait eggs. The only question with Roses will be if the ice is gone.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
And yes do use power bait on the bottom. I use an egg sinker above my swivel and leader. I leave the bail open so they can swim away with the bait.
They will swallow it of they feel no resistance.

One of the best new items for the lake, the health warning that used to exist for trout and Kokanee has been lifted. There is only a warning on the lakers now.

TimBoy, are the planted cutties marked?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sparky,

A portion of the cutthorat are marked. I don't remember the percentage; it's in the Lake Chelan Fisheries Management Plan but I haven't read that for awile. I'll dig it out and let you know. I'm thinking it's around 80/20.

Although this topic is about fishing off the dock/beach, triploid chinook are also now being planted. They are reared in net pens in a tributary. Still too early to know if this will result in a fishery or just Mackinaw dinner.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can you guys recommend some places there to rent a boat from (for bass fishing purposes)? I will be there in June sometime camping at the state park.

thx much!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As far as fishing from the campground, fish from shore at the end site, site #71.

The boat launch and dock are good too, tossing towards the mouth of first creek in the evenings and early morning, when the boat traffic dies.

Here is the index into water craft rentals --

http://www.cometothelake.com/businesses ... craft.html

Boat rentals are steep, like 150 for half a day. Bring a 50 dollar rubber raft -- I did for over twenty years.

·
Registered
564 Posts
sparky said:
As far as fishing from the campground, fish from shore at the end site, site #71.

The boat launch and dock are good too, tossing towards the mouth of first creek in the evenings and early morning, when the boat traffic dies.

Here is the index into water craft rentals --

http://www.cometothelake.com/businesses ... craft.html

Boat rentals are steep, like 150 for half a day. Bring a 50 dollar rubber raft -- I did for over twenty years.
really? I heard the winds whip up pretty good there and the water gets choppy quick. Rubber raft?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
There might be an afternoon wind kicking up, once all the hot air of the day forces all the cold air out of the woods.

In the early morning, the lake is usually like a mirror. It lays down really fast in the evening, once the sun sets behind the mountain range. Most of the pleasure boaters
quit once the sun is off the water too.

That afternoon wind that freaks everybody out, is usually blowing hard from Stehekin down to Twenty Five Mile Creek, and sometimes all the way to Fields Point Landing.

Most fish you will catch, especially bass will be shore / structure oriented, and you won't be far from shore.

You can catch bass by the irrigation return outlets just north of the Mill Bay boat launch from shore.

I took a rubber raft there every year for more than twenty -- even if you are not fishing, it can give you some solitude you might not find in the park.

Both the docks on the south end of the park will also put you into fish.

·
Registered
247 Posts
As of 2002 the plan was to clip 20% of the planted cutthroat. I'm not sure what the actual percentage is now.

Also, you need to watch it fishing around the mouth of First Creek since they now prohibit fishing within 400 ft of all tributaries to protect the natives.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Good call on the regulations update -- although I don't stay at the State park anymore.

I now rent houses versus rooting in the dirt. I threw my rubber raft into the land fill after I got a real boat.

I have a house reserved for a week in August almost directly across from the Mill Bay launch, just minutes from Mac Bar.
I have stayed at the Ponti house before. I highly recommend it.

One evening when the trout came in, you could catch one every ten minutes, instead of one per hour. Orange or chartreuse power bait.
One per hour will put you to sleep, or make you want to do something else. I would rather troll when the fishing is that slow.

If the Cutthroat are not clipped, can you convince an agent that a fish with deformed fins is a planter? I have seen tropical fish have all there fins torn off in a fight, and have them fully regrow.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have only caught a few of the Cutts and none have been clipped. The warnings about the water changing fast are valid. Our place is between Chelan and Manson. The water can go from calm to dangerous in a very short time. It is nothing to worry about as long as you are aware and get your raft off the water when the wind comes up. Last year my neighbors kid took the ski boat down to town to gas it up. The wind came up and he nearly sank it trying to get back home. He turned around and tied up at the marina in town and walked back and went back to get the boat when the wind died. This last weekend the lake was like glass all weekend.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If the Cutthroat are not clipped, can you convince an agent that a fish with deformed fins is a planter?
It's worth a try. If you happen to be in this situation please call me so I can witness the encounter! I would be glad to bring the beer and give you a ride back to Chelan from the regional jail in Wenatchee, if necessary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts