Korean BBQ Ribs (Kalbe) | Gamefishin.com

Korean BBQ Ribs (Kalbe)

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by HOBO98498, Jul 8, 2014.

1. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

My daughter gave me this one. Its Great:

8 Lb of Korean Short Ribs ( Boo Han or Paldo World in Tacoma has the best)
    2 cups Kikoman Soy sauce
    1ea 2 liter bottle of the real thing (Coke)
    2 bunches of scallions, chopped. (leave the green part of the onion chopped large)
    1 cup white or dark sugar.
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    40 beads of garlic chopped
    One big ass stainless steel pan.

The important thing to remember is that this stuff will destroy the neutral smell of your fridge. After a short soak double zip lock bag them and put them on ice in a cooler you don't care about. The smell will permeate the plastic no matter how hard you try. Make the brine and soak them at least 24 hrs before you want to eat them.
    I have watched her make these at least 5 times. The key is to get the salty sweet part right. White sugar will get sweeter than brown but brown will give you that darker look. Sugar and coke is the sweet, Soy is the salty. Adjust to your desires. Pour in the sesame oil just before you bag them. This allows the rest of the ingredients to penetrate without the oil interfering with absorption. Be careful not to add to much sesame oil as the good stuff is a bit over powering. You can always add more but you cant take it out, as is with all of the ingredients. I think the only thing you cant overdue is the garlic. The Korean stores have very reasonably priced pre peeled garlic. Use it. BBQ on a hot grill. They cook very fast maybe 2 minutes a side. Get the brown you want and they are done.
    A little Dicon radish, red pepper flakes, green onions with a Tbs of sesame oil, splash of vinegar as a side condiment and your in short rib heaven. Neighbors you didn't know you had will be knocking on your door

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jiggin.Deep

Jiggin.Deep Active Member

Ahh korean food... im half korean and eat my share of korean grub.... try bulgogi once too ... its grub....

3. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

I am all in with Bulgogi