Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two quick koke questions. Is it too early to target them and what rod would be recomended? I am thinking i could also use that rod for trolling for trout. Any input from the Koke masters out there would be great.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Still deep yet but they can be caught.Give it to the end of March.For rod the Lamiglas Fc76ul is by far the best Kokanee rod around.Mated to a ambassador levelwind reel Money...I have heard of a guy at Lake Stevens that runs a diver off its own line with a lightweight release off the diver but i use riggers...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
rods:
Lamiglas FC 76 UL
Lamiglas GC 792 UL
G Loomis CR842-2 GL3
G Loomis CR841-1 GL3
Okuma CE-C-702L

Reels:
Shimano Cardiff
Shimano Curado
Chimano CallcuttaTE/B
Abu Garcia Revo/s/sx/stx
okuma Induron
Okuma Vsystem 100/200

I would have to disagree with the abu garcia because it does not have the smooth dragg that is required to the soft mouth of the kokanee.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
The new abus are fine. I run a really light drag anyways.

I've been doin fair for this time of the year trollin for Kokanee up on the Lake. Whats making it a little harder is having the lake level low.
I'm finding fish not real deep, 15-30ft.

·
Registered
613 Posts
You've had kokes pull hard enough to take line? My hook/land ratio is pretty good without giving them line. If your drag is that loose, how do you keep rod bend on the downrigger?

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
all the rods sugested are great!! As for the Abu reels check out the new record reels from them also very sweet drags and over all reel! Tup:

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Ok here is my 2 cent's worth. In my opinion you do not need a rod that cost $140, all you need is a rod that is limber enough to do the job. And I am assuming you will be using a downrigger??? There are many good koke rod's out on the market from $40 on up. Diawa has the spinmatic-c,it's a ulta light rod with fast tip, and only $40. Shimano has one out now that is $70, and lamiglass has a few that are from $60 to $140 or so. Then there is some loomis rod's, they cost extra :eek:
Most of these rod's are 7'-7'6" casting rods.

And as far as targeting them this early, best of luck to ya. I wait until May myself.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
epidemic said:
You've had kokes pull hard enough to take line? My hook/land ratio is pretty good without giving them line. If your drag is that loose, how do you keep rod bend on the downrigger?
I've had bigger ones on Stevens take line, and some do short intense runs. Kokes are crazy fighters! After a release from the clip and getting some line back on the reel, I will back off the drag slightly if I feel the fish needs to peel line. You want to avoid ripping the hook out at all costs. A reel with a super smooth drag is a must.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kokanee Kid, that is what I was thinking. I love Loomis rods for steelhead, but I am not sure I can justify spending that kind of money on a downrigger rod. I was looking at the Okuma and it seems like they are about $40. I will have to feel one in person, but that is where I am leaning. I hate to wait until May, that is into springer season. I was hoping to fish for kokes now that the hatchery steelhead run is winding down.

·
Registered
613 Posts
MAD.CAM.AL said:
epidemic said:
I've had bigger ones on Stevens take line, and some do short intense runs. Kokes are crazy fighters! After a release from the clip and getting some line back on the reel, I will back off the drag slightly if I feel the fish needs to peel line. You want to avoid ripping the hook out at all costs. A reel with a super smooth drag is a must.
I've had an issue with the small adjustable Scotty clips not releasing when I have a cookie cutter koke on. The only kokes I've had actually take line/release from the clip were in Samammish when I was targeting cutts. What downrigger clip are you using.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Kid, Thanks about the Diawa I forgot all about it it comes in a 7 and 7'6" and is perfect and is under 40 bucks.

As for kokes pulling drag yeah, I have had kokes in CDA pull 20 yards right off the reel as soon as you pick up the rod

A good release for kokes is the shasta Ultra release.
http://www.shastatackle.com/webstore/mo ... duct_ID=82

and Seps Sure release.
seps.com

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've had an issue with the small adjustable Scotty clips not releasing when I have a cookie cutter koke on. The only kokes I've had actually take line/release from the clip were in Samammish when I was targeting cutts. What downrigger clip are you using.
I use the same clips and experience the same issues. I'm going to take a look at the ones KK mentioned above.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts