Game Fishing Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
well, that actually is now in question, my brother has been sick, we were going to go to Meridian to test out his boat he purchased (over a year ago), and fish while doing it lol. now, he may either be still sick, or not be able to go as the wifey has to work Sunday likely, hes gotta watch the kid.

i may be renting a boat, do the rent them on American? Spanaway does i think.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Actually I believe you can fish American Lake w/o a boat registration. While it is a federal water, the Coast Guard do not patrol it. Therefore for state requirements it is not "navigable" and does not require registration. The Lakewood Police are the only enforcement I've seen at American.

Here's another thread that discusses it in depth.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28199

I just bought and titled a 14' boat in my name, but did not get registration because I am only going to put an electric on it and use it in smaller waters.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
HookSetter said:
Actually I believe you can fish American Lake w/o a boat registration. While it is a federal water, the Coast Guard do not patrol it. Therefore for state requirements it is not "navigable" and does not require registration. The Lakewood Police are the only enforcement I've seen at American.

Here's another thread that discusses it in depth.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28199

I just bought and titled a 14' boat in my name, but did not get registration because I am only going to put an electric on it and use it in smaller waters.
I went to the licensing place and inquired as to what I would need to register a boat and one of the first things she said was they need to be registered if on American Lake, with an outboard. While one may not see the Coast Guard out there it is a state regulation. To be legal I did it. I didn't want to get a ticket later that exceeded what it would cost to register, sometime in the future.

Pierce County has a boat house right on the water by the free launch so I imagine they are out there some of the time.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Federal waters = register the boat.

For the miniscule amount of money a 14 footer would cost why even risk it? wink:

Also ... once you put a gas motor on that boat ... the carbon monoxide sticker is also required :mrgreen:

·
Banned
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah, we arent going to risk it unless we are for sure. Meridian is OK, Sawyer, OK, i know nothing about American as ive never fished it.

weve already gotten into trouble once, during Sockeye season like 9 years ago or so, we borrowed a boat from an older friend,(8 ft livingston 6hp motor), went out, caught fish, and came back in (we were using the Cedar River launch near the Air Field in Renton), we even rowed back up river, as you cant use motors in it, even while everyone else was. still didnt matter, we got slapped with i think it was a 475 dollar ticket. (not sure, but it was high)

so yeah, not trying that again :lol:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Yeah, register it.. Chuck, is your's a 20'?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I disagree that you need double hooks to fish kokanee.I get plenty of limits with using a single hook that is barbless (i dont eat fish and its easier to unhook the fish with barbless hooks)on both my mini squid and my spinners.Corn is cheap,but you open a whole can to use maybe a 1/4 of the can throw the rest away.5$ buys a bottle of berkley maggots.I went kokanee fishing 35 to 40 times last year and still had 1/4 of the bottle left.I tip the hook with only 1 and i change with every fish or everytime i check my lure.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts