Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've eat plenty of sockeye every year (from Alaska and WA), the store bought variety. It's good but not my favorite salmon to eat.

Just wondering... I've never eaten or caught kokanee... Do they taste identical to a sockeye that has lived in the salt, or have they acquired a different flavor or texture by being landlocked sockeye salmon?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
The kokanee I have ate out of Shannon are very soft and more pale in the color of meat than sockeye. I think their flavor is a little more bland than sockeye also.

·
Registered
88 Posts
volynsky said:
I've eat plenty of sockeye every year (from Alaska and WA), the store bought variety. It's good but not my favorite salmon to eat.

Just wondering... I've never eaten or caught kokanee... Do they taste identical to a sockeye that has lived in the salt, or have they acquired a different flavor or texture by being landlocked sockeye salmon?
sockeye is not your favorite , You have my attention! What is? Almost everyone I talk with agree that Sockeye are premium table fare. My .02

Later.........

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CrazyDave said:
volynsky said:

sockeye is not your favorite , You have my attention! What is? Almost everyone I talk with agree that Sockeye are premium table fare. My .02

Later.........
King is my favorite. I don't really care for the flavor or texture of sockeye. I like oilier/fattier fish, like a king.

·
Registered
366 Posts
CrazyDave said:
volynsky said:

Later.........
No finer table fare then a spring king.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Drifter said:
CrazyDave said:
volynsky said:

Later.........
No finer table fare then a spring king.
I agree with Spingers but I have found that Sockeye are oiler than Kings in general, with the exception of "springers".

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
They eat the same thing one eats a freshwater version is all. If you have caught a big Koke 3 or 4 lbs and a small sockeye and barbied them up it would be hard to tell the difference I would think side by side. By far the best tasting salt water salmon is the sock and I think you are hard pressed to find finer table fare than smoked kokes. They tast sweet like candy. However with their fat content I would say the trips from Rufus woods give any smoked fish a run for the money.

G

·
I grew up eating castle Cape Reds and which are some of the nicest in the world, i would much rather eat a healthy fat Coho. Just like the flavor combo better, Kokes aren't near as good as a sockeye if you are a sockeye lover however kokes are sweet! Fish are what they eat, Sockeye eat mainly krill thus the red color, they bite red hooks... duh... Coho like krill, herring, squid, shrimp all of it, and the meat is lean cause they are so restless. Columbia springers are excellent as well but im not as big of a fan of Chinns on the BBQ, ill take any of the salmon/trout family smoked or kippered. i cant get enough. im so picky with salmon anymore! just my .02.

·
Registered
606 Posts
However with their fat content I would say the trips from Rufus woods give any smoked fish a run for the money.Theking

I would have to agree with you there. That's the main reason I'm heading to Rufus again next month. That big triploid was some of the bext smoked fish I've ever had.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I'd woof em down like a doggie on Tom Pollacks special cured herring at the slag pile. :cool:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Hard to beat a nice fresh Springer. I will say that those trout from Rufus are pretty dang good smoked.

Hard to imagine them PEN raised fish are that good but they are.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Hard to beat a nice fresh Springer. I will say that those trout from Rufus are pretty dang good smoked.

Hard to imagine them PEN raised fish are that good but they are.
Must be the cleaner water? haha

1 - 13 of 13 Posts