Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going fishing this beautiful weekend since Lil Corky just had his boat serviced with an added troll plate. Now we're just itchin to get his boat on a lake. We decided to see if we could pull out a few kok out of Lake Stevens. We want to troll down about 20' to see if we can get some takers.

My question is how much line and what size banana weight trolling 1.0 to 1.2mph? We'll likely start with only 0000 dodgers and may add troll as the day goes on.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The Kokanee in Lake Stevens are going to be 40'-50' this time of year, if you are going to use lead at those speeds, I would say 4-5 ounces should be good, I would start the day out with a 2 ounce at first light than move up as the days gets lighter, good luck to you guys, I may be out there Saturday, so if you see a 16' Valco running into the only log on the lake, that is me :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
The only log on the lake,now that's funny. I was going to say I use a 4lb. weight, but that's notmuch help is it :roll:

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GURU said:
The Kokanee in Lake Stevens are going to be 40'-50' this time of year, if you are going to use lead at those speeds, I would say 4-5 ounces should be good, I would start the day out with a 2 ounce at first light than move up as the days gets lighter, good luck to you guys, I may be out there Saturday, so if you see a 16' Valco running into the only log on the lake, that is me :lol:
Thanks Guru,

How much line would you say I would need to let out with this kind of weight?

Kokanee Kid,

Only if I'm retrieving bodies wink:

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I would guess that you'll have a tough time finding Kokes without downriggers right now. Seems like you would need too much weight to get down where you need to be. You will likely pick up some trout while trying though. For trout, I would start with 1/2 to 1oz banana sinker and about 25 pulls of line. Troll for a bit, if you don't hit anything, pull out 5 more pulls, repeat until you find fish! Have a great time!

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea, a downrigger would be nice and all, but he doesn't have one yet on his boat. I knew it would be a stretch to get these buggers using some larger banana lead, but his fish finder should give us an indication if we're even close. Hopefully we'll hit a shallow layer of them early Sunday morning. If not, we'll just peddle around for some rainbows.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Being a carpenter I sat down and drew this out to scale last year because I use banana weights for trolling also. I can't tell you how much weight you will need but if your line is at a 45 degree angle you need 70' of line in the water to get around 50' deep. At 60 degrees it will take 100'. Use a sharpie to mark your line every 10' so you can keep track of how much line you have out. You can try running a 1 oz. to 1 1/2 oz. weight and put out 50' to 60' of line then slow down till the line angle gets around 45 degrees then increase your speed a little and let your lure sweep up through the water.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
That's some great info fishing Bear. And I think netboy has got it, the kokanee right now are hard to get, not impossable. They are more scattered and less agressive too. In a few months that will all change :D

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
fishing bear said:
Being a carpenter I sat down and drew this out to scale last year because I use banana weights for trolling also. I can't tell you how much weight you will need but if your line is at a 45 degree angle you need 70' of line in the water to get around 50' deep. At 60 degrees it will take 100'. Use a sharpie to mark your line every 10' so you can keep track of how much line you have out. You can try running a 1 oz. to 1 1/2 oz. weight and put out 50' to 60' of line then slow down till the line angle gets around 45 degrees then increase your speed a little and let your lure sweep up through the water.
Exactly what I do, except I just mark the line every 25 ft. If they are sittin at 50' I'll let out to 50' and add some pulls to it or to 75' and reel up 10 times ya only have to get it in the zone Tup:

·
Registered
109 Posts
SO I have been planning on hitting Lake Stevens Saturday and Sunday. I need to spend time on the water practicing so when it gets hot I have worked out the bugs. We will be putting at the public launch in the am. I will be using the pictured setup I have seen on the forum oooo flasher dick nite on 1 pole and wedding ring on the other W/ corn and DNA. What I need is advice. I have down riggers. And an depth finder (old) in my 17' duro the "bumble". I have been talking to Greg he has been helpful. Were to fish on the lake other than in the water? Thanks :?:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
The best spots on the lake are around the airaetor in the middle of the northend of the lake, and anywhere where the water is 70'-150' deep, just look for the schools and try to stay on top of them, I found for me when I first started, I just made circles around the aireator trolling slow and we got some nice fish that way, just be careful, at about 40' deep right on the north side of the Aireator is an air line feeding it, I have gotten caught on this once and it wasn't fun, I ended up getting all my stuff back, I was just lucky to not rip the air line, good luck to ya Tup:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I like to troll with colored lead core line, with a light tippet on the end of it or about twenty feet of four lb mono. I can get it very deep and still feel the fish fight and bite. I like to use the no drag flashers instead of a dodger, but the dodger will still get down for ya.

Good Luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts