Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing pretty good on whitefish lately. I actually started fishing as soon as the season opened on Dec.1st.There was some very high water in Jan. and the river was nearly out of its banks , but I fished again after it began to clear. Its still high but I've been able to find fish each time out.A size 14 hook is the largest that can be used due to the incidental catch of steelhead. Use a #14 fly ,tipped with a maggot. Fish the seam where the faster water meets the slower water. You have to move around a little to locate the fish, they seem to be in schools. Black or brown flys are the best however I caught 2 fish on black, then they quit bitting. I changed to a white fly and caught 6 more in 6 casts. I use a sliding bobber with an adjustable knot, slinky weight and the fly on a dropper 12" above the slinky.The dropper need only be 6 or 7" long. To long and it will get hung up in the slinky. Fish the bottom , the bobber is there to pull your rig along , and definatly helps to keep you from getting snags. I've been fishing the same setup for many outings.These fish are fun to catch and good to eat smoked. I brine the fish for 2 days,make a cut along the entire length down the back of the fish to allow the brine to absorb , rinse them and pat dry, smoke 2 pans of alder, I add some hickory with the 2nd pan of alder. These fish are oily so I finish them off in the barbeque. After they've barbequed on med. heat for awhile, I open up the fish and remove the backbone, then continue to barbeque on med heat until they are cooked to a good texture. I take them off the heat and let them cool down and then test for texture . If they're still soft and to moist ,I cook them some more, You'll need to experiment , but they are worth the effort and fun to catch. The fish are running 12 to 16".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Easy limits trolling firetiger warts out front fish still in great shape bucks have some color but hens are chrome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts